collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231918 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley
« Reply #1395 on: February 22, 2020, 09:02:59 AM »
I wish him no ill will, but he was rubbish.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1396 on: February 22, 2020, 09:16:08 AM »
Laughed at my Burnley supporting mate when they signed him, telling him what a waste of space Westwood was and thanking him for taking him off our hands. Didn't take long for him to come back and thank me for Westwood, claiming he's a cracking player. By all accounts he's done well at Burnley much to the surprise I imagine of everybody at Villa Park.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1397 on: February 22, 2020, 09:19:56 AM »
Part of it may be that expectations are lower at Burnley.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1398 on: February 22, 2020, 09:30:14 AM »
I wish him no ill will, but he was rubbish.

Likewise.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1399 on: February 22, 2020, 09:30:15 AM »
I never rated him but I don't hate players when they are trying their best. Not sure why some fans feel the need to be hysterical all the time, and I never get why people think getting on players' backs is going to help. He seems to have done better there. Probably a combination of better coaching, lower expectations/less pressure and perhaps an improvement in his mental health/confidence. Which may be associated with not having idiots like SH call him a "wanker" if he fails to score a hat-trick every week.

FWIW, I'm not saying no players ever deserve criticism. But I save my main ire for those who have ability but don't try. Agbonlahor, Ireland and N'Zogbia, for instance.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:38:19 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1400 on: February 22, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »
I never rated him but I don't hate players when they are trying their best. Not sure why some fans feel the need to be hysterical all the time, and I never get why people think getting on players' backs is going to help. He seems to have done better there. Probably a combination of better coaching, lower expectations/less pressure and perhaps an improvement in his mental health/confidence. Which may be associated to not having idiots like SH call him a "wanker" if he fails to score a hat-trick every week.

FWIW, I'm not saying no players ever deserve criticism. But I save my main ire for those who have ability but don't try. Agbonlahor, Ireland and N'Zogbia, for instance.

Amen brother.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1401 on: February 22, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
Laughed at my Burnley supporting mate when they signed him, telling him what a waste of space Westwood was and thanking him for taking him off our hands. Didn't take long for him to come back and thank me for Westwood, claiming he's a cracking player. By all accounts he's done well at Burnley much to the surprise I imagine of everybody at Villa Park.

I follow the BBC news presenter Christian Fraser on Twitter who's a Burnley fan and he said he really rates him, described him as a tidy player.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1402 on: February 22, 2020, 10:05:08 AM »
Wasn't as bad as remembered in his first two seasons. Had a fantastic semi final game v Liverpool for instance.

Really missed Delph's energy when he left though.

Done well at Burnley, better than I thought actually.

I think it is fair to acknowledge that he had a couple of decent periods in his time with us - the run-in during Lambert's first season when he played in a three with Sylla and Delph, and the run-up to and including the semi-final under Sherwood when he again played in a three with Delph and Cleverley.

I've not seen much of him at a Burnley, but always felt during his time with us that he needed to play in a holding role alongside two energetic midfielders.  During the two periods mentioned above, we were playing well as a side and were on the front foot in games.  For the long periods during his time at the club when that wasn't the case and we were very much second best in games, his lack of athleticism and physicality were exposed.  The analogy that comes to mind is a fly-half in rugby who looks great when the forwards are on top and they are getting good, quick ball, but looks completely different when their side is on the back foot and they are called upon to do the more physical aspects of the game.

I was surprised when a top flight club came in for him, but it sounds like has done OK there.  Never really seemed to have a bad attitude unlike a number of the charlatans who were at the club at the time, so wish him well really.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 10:06:42 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1403 on: February 22, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
Part of it may be that expectations are lower at Burnley.

They've not only pretty comfortably stayed in the PL whilst we spend 3 seasons in the Championship, finishing 7th the season before last, they also play in Europe and are chasing a European place again this season. I could live with those expectations right now.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1404 on: February 22, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
“He was a tidy player”,  If that isn’t damning with faint praise I don’t know what is. He’s just a bit meh really, carved himself a career as a Premier League journeyman midfielder and Fair play to him in my view. He’s never going to tear up trees but he’s not that type of player. Always found out by athletic and physical attacking midfielders and forwards.

He certainly wasn’t the poster boy for our decline, step forward one G Agbonlahor.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #1405 on: February 22, 2020, 11:01:35 AM »
I never rated him but I don't hate players when they are trying their best. Not sure why some fans feel the need to be hysterical all the time, and I never get why people think getting on players' backs is going to help. He seems to have done better there. Probably a combination of better coaching, lower expectations/less pressure and perhaps an improvement in his mental health/confidence. Which may be associated with not having idiots like SH call him a "wanker" if he fails to score a hat-trick every week.

Cant believe I`m agreeing with you buddy :) But your comments are spot on  …. some of the vitriolic diatribe from some posters on here is preposterous.
Likewise, the view from Rudy is also right on the button …...I`d settle for Burnley's expectations too

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1406 on: February 22, 2020, 11:46:53 AM »
I still have nightmares of those shitty floaty corners he kept throwing at us. Wanker.

I didn't rate the bloke either and I'm amazed we got as much money for him as we did, but why would anyone feel the need  to call a player a wanker because took a crap corner? It's totally unnecessary.

Yup agreed. Also I suspect those corners were very much a tactical request.

They were. Benteke was invariably the best aerial player on the pitch regardless of the opposition and preferred floatier corners.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1407 on: February 22, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »
i
I still have nightmares of those shitty floaty corners he kept throwing at us. Wanker.

I didn't rate the bloke either and I'm amazed we got as much money for him as we did, but why would anyone feel the need  to call a player a wanker because took a crap corner? It's totally unnecessary.

They used to annoy me aswell but it was said we constantly did them like that at Benteke's request.

He whips them into the six yard box everytime at Burnley, indeed scored direct from one just last Saturday.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1408 on: February 22, 2020, 12:20:32 PM »
Wasn't as bad as remembered in his first two seasons. Had a fantastic semi final game v Liverpool for instance.

Really missed Delph's energy when he left though.

Done well at Burnley, better than I thought actually.

I think it is fair to acknowledge that he had a couple of decent periods in his time with us - the run-in during Lambert's first season when he played in a three with Sylla and Delph, and the run-up to and including the semi-final under Sherwood when he again played in a three with Delph and Cleverley.

I've not seen much of him at a Burnley, but always felt during his time with us that he needed to play in a holding role alongside two energetic midfielders.  During the two periods mentioned above, we were playing well as a side and were on the front foot in games.  For the long periods during his time at the club when that wasn't the case and we were very much second best in games, his lack of athleticism and physicality were exposed.  The analogy that comes to mind is a fly-half in rugby who looks great when the forwards are on top and they are getting good, quick ball, but looks completely different when their side is on the back foot and they are called upon to do the more physical aspects of the game.

I was surprised when a top flight club came in for him, but it sounds like has done OK there.  Never really seemed to have a bad attitude unlike a number of the charlatans who were at the club at the time, so wish him well really.

Yep can't disagree with that. He's a continuity midfield, keep play ticking over and ball moving. If you want some box to box dynamos and score you don't tend to sign them from Crewe in league two.

Considering he jumped three divisions to moving to us he didn't actually do that badly in 12-13 although couldn't reach the level we wanted most of the players signed around that time. But then again most of those players were out of their depth in the premier league.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1409 on: February 22, 2020, 12:39:15 PM »
I bore him no ill will, I remember him as one of the few who cared when we went down

for me he was another Conor Hourahane without the goals and assists
he could play 90 minutes and you would struggle to recollect that he had been on the pitch
normally when the opposition was bossing the game

other times when the going was a bit easier (so not very often) he could be half decent
likeable fella though

the most surprising thing is he was the most un-Sean Dyce-player you could pick yet he seems to have done really well there against the odds which is a credit to the lad

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal