collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188776 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
We released this man last summer. He almost ended up playing for Hull City. Thank Christ we came to our senses.

That being said, I think I'd vote for Benteke as our player of the season. Actually, mods, do you reckon that it's too early to start a PotS thread or can I make one now?

I thought he'd been offered a new deal by the club last season but didn't sign it?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »
We released this man last summer. He almost ended up playing for Hull City. Thank Christ we came to our senses.

That being said, I think I'd vote for Benteke as our player of the season. Actually, mods, do you reckon that it's too early to start a PotS thread or can I make one now?

I thought he'd been offered a new deal by the club last season but didn't sign it?

Yes, he didn't sign because TSM said he didn't fit in his plans and Given was always his number one choice. As TSM signed Given, and put him on such massive money, you could see why he said that was the case.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
I said on the post match thread that Lambert deserves praise for not only signing him back up but playing him when others would have stuck with Given because of his reputation. He's been immense. I did'nt realise how good that save was from Samba's header until i saw it back again on motd.

Totally agree, I would also have stuck with given but brad has been immense and fully deserves all the plaudits- he is a top keeper now.
Yes, I rather remember you being adamant that Guzan would end up in the Championship because he was rubbish and that Given was one of the best keepers in the league (winky emoticon)

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2013, 10:19:04 PM »
To be fair, I didnt think Guzan was a premiership keeper, now wouldnt change him. And as for Given, I think they are good mates and Given has been a true pro. Yes, he is on top money, but that is not his fault

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2013, 12:45:45 AM »
I said on the post match thread that Lambert deserves praise for not only signing him back up but playing him when others would have stuck with Given because of his reputation. He's been immense. I did'nt realise how good that save was from Samba's header until i saw it back again on motd.

Totally agree, I would also have stuck with given but brad has been immense and fully deserves all the plaudits- he is a top keeper now.
Yes, I rather remember you being adamant that Guzan would end up in the Championship because he was rubbish and that Given was one of the best keepers in the league (winky emoticon)

That is my recollection also (consternation emoticon).

Offline AVFCRob

« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
Interesting stats from the Observer on Sunday.

'Top Stoppers' Guzan 3rd in the Premier league - 95 saves (Jaaskelainen 1st - 111)
'Safe Hands' Guzan 1st - 76 catches made (Begovic 2nd -65, Krul 3rd -43)

Basically, Guzan has been sensational for us. The fact that he caught 11 more catches than any other keeper and 33 more than the keeper in 3rd place demonstrates the pressure he's come under from crosses. It also speaks volumes about the weakness of our full backs in not preventing or clossing down crosses.

In an inexperienced and callow defence Guzan has been a colossus. As good as Benteke has been (much of the time) Guzan has been our standout player, I reckon. 

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2013, 05:35:58 PM »
he's just fantastic at coming for crosses,
 the way people kept whineing and whinging about that Blackburn game 2 years after it had happened really pissed me of

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
Contender for photo of the season

Anyone know if/when Brad is off to Mexico for the USA's next qualifier? I've actually got tickets for that match and, though I want Mexico to win, I'll be cheering him on (on my own).

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
Contender for photo of the season

Anyone know if/when Brad is off to Mexico for the USA's next qualifier?
I expect he'll be playing - Howard's out, so he's next in line.

Surely it's only a matter of time before he becomes the USA #1.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »

To be fair, Guzan might yet end up in the Championship....(double winky).

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »
I'll see your double winky and raise you a no fucking chance.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »
Interesting stats from the Observer on Sunday.

'Top Stoppers' Guzan 3rd in the Premier league - 95 saves (Jaaskelainen 1st - 111)
'Safe Hands' Guzan 1st - 76 catches made (Begovic 2nd -65, Krul 3rd -43)

Basically, Guzan has been sensational for us. The fact that he caught 11 more catches than any other keeper and 33 more than the keeper in 3rd place demonstrates the pressure he's come under from crosses. It also speaks volumes about the weakness of our full backs in not preventing or clossing down crosses.

In an inexperienced and callow defence Guzan has been a colossus. As good as Benteke has been (much of the time) Guzan has been our standout player, I reckon.

Not necessarily. It does show that he will claim crosses (and corners and long balls down the centre) though where other teams might have a dominant centre half who clears it out or the keeper stays on his line/prefers to punch the ball out. Agree with the last line.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2013, 12:26:22 AM »
There will be clubs circling him now. He has been incredible, and TSM should never have dropped him when he came into the side last season. A few of us wanted him kept in after his performance at Stoke, and he deserves all the praise now. Love him as a keeper, my favourite since Bosnich in a Villa shirt by miles.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2013, 12:44:49 AM »
Aside from everything else, he's one of the few players we have who will go eyeball to eyeball with an opponent or give the ref a few words of advice.

Maybe McLeish did us a favour. Had he picked on performance and not price tag Guzan would have kept his place. If so it's possible he'd still have departed at the end of his contract but would have found somewhere better than Hull before we had chance to step back in.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »
I reckon, we go again, is Brad's phrase. It sounds like an Americanism. I think, not only is he a leader on the pitch but also in the dressing room

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal