collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188801 times)

Offline Gerrin

Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #330 on: October 10, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »
its amazing to think that just about any premier league team could have signed Guzan for free just over a year ago

he's virtually priceless to us now

I think it also unfortunately illustrates the crazy margins between success and failure in the professional football. How a manager making the bold step of having faith, belief and confidence in a player over a big name can make such a difference in a players career. Who knows where Guzan would be now were it not for Paul Lambert, it wouldn't be the Premier League though.

It looked like he was going to Hull until Lambert stepped in and as Hull are now Premier League, so he would be in the Premier League but he would have missed a year.

Not really sure how you work that one out? Brad's last appearance for Hull was over a year before Bruce even took over there, how do you know he was going to buy him, make him first choice and Hull get promoted?

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #331 on: October 10, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »
Brad for me is the antithesis of whats wrong with the  England team. He was not given the chances and nearly left. People often remembered him from the Blackburn game. Give him a run of games and look at him blossom. Now look at the state of the England team, look at the Milners, Rodwells, Williams. Do they get a regular run in their best positions, never. Look beyond that there must be loads of players who could become really good if they got a run in a decent team who could play for England, will they ever get a game, probably not

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #332 on: October 10, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
its amazing to think that just about any premier league team could have signed Guzan for free just over a year ago

he's virtually priceless to us now

I think it also unfortunately illustrates the crazy margins between success and failure in the professional football. How a manager making the bold step of having faith, belief and confidence in a player over a big name can make such a difference in a players career. Who knows where Guzan would be now were it not for Paul Lambert, it wouldn't be the Premier League though.

It looked like he was going to Hull until Lambert stepped in and as Hull are now Premier League, so he would be in the Premier League but he would have missed a year.

Not really sure how you work that one out? Brad's last appearance for Hull was over a year before Bruce even took over there, how do you know he was going to buy him, make him first choice and Hull get promoted?

There were various interviews that came out last summer where this was pretty much established. Bruce thought he had him in the bag until Lambert was appointed and phoned Guzan.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #333 on: October 11, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
Brad for me is the antithesis of whats wrong with the  England team. He was not given the chances and nearly left. People often remembered him from the Blackburn game. Give him a run of games and look at him blossom. Now look at the state of the England team, look at the Milners, Rodwells, Williams. Do they get a regular run in their best positions, never. Look beyond that there must be loads of players who could become really good if they got a run in a decent team who could play for England, will they ever get a game, probably not

I kind of agree, but to be fair Milner and Rodwell were getting a run of games in their best positions but they decided they'd rather have more $$$ somewhere else. I will always think of Milner's as a wasted career, I know he's won a league title, but I don't think he ever realised the full potential we saw the yeae he played CM for us.

Offline peter w

« Reply #334 on: October 12, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »
I was one of the people who didn't want Brad in the starting 11 and wasn't too sad at him going. However, his performances for a season and a bit have been absolutely top drawer. He performs inevery game and even if he makes the odd error he more than makes up for it in every game.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »
Ye me to. With the reputation Given had opposed to an American who was only really known for his brilliant penalty saves. I wanted Given all day. Great vision and faith from PL ........

Offline OCD

« Reply #336 on: October 12, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
I was sold on Guzan when Given had that Groin injury and missed a run of games. It really boiled my piss that McForgottenOne dropped him the second Given was fit again. Guzan had done well enough to extend his run in the team. Then his contract ran down and it looked like we were going to lose what looked like a top goalkeeper (based on that run of games). Thankfully, Lambert came in and must have done his homework to have seen enough of Guzan to first offer him a contract, second give him a chance and third back him when he came in.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #337 on: October 12, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
Barring the Enckleman/Postma period, goalkeeper has tended to be a strength for us. I thought Given did well during the TSM season.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #338 on: October 12, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
I was never that excited about Given, I thought we were getting someone past his best who whilst always a very good shot stopper was a limited keeper.  When Big Brad left I'd have liked to see Guzan get a chance to stake a claim and for any signing we made to be less high profile so we could have 2 who were genuinely competing.  When it looked like Guzan had gone because he wasn't being given a fair chance to compete with a 36/37 year old I was very unhappy and I'm glad he didn't hold that against the club when Lambert went back for him.

This is nothing against Given, he was a very good goalkeeper 4-5 years ago, but he was a poor signing given the cost and contract involved and, as is now proven, he probably wasn't needed if TSM had shown a bit of guts to back Guuzan a little at the time.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #339 on: October 12, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »
OK here's a question just for a bit of sport

if you had the choice of Given when he was at his best or Guzan as he is now which would you go for ?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #340 on: October 12, 2013, 08:44:39 PM »
OK here's a question just for a bit of sport

if you had the choice of Given when he was at his best or Guzan as he is now which would you go for ?

Brad all day long John, I was never a big fan of Given.

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #341 on: October 12, 2013, 09:06:07 PM »
Villa are crap at defending corners when we have keepers who don't try to dominate their area. Guzan every time for me.

Offline OCD

« Reply #342 on: October 12, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »
Given's reputation was built on being an excellent shot stopper, probably one of the best on that attribute alone. However, he was never known for his ability to organise his defence or to command his box. Guzan does all 3.

Offline Colin B

« Reply #343 on: October 12, 2013, 11:56:13 PM »
Guzan

Offline peter w

« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2013, 10:43:14 PM »
Guzan. I do now think he's a better keeper. His distribution has worried me a little though this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal