collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe standing trial offer  (Read 26716 times)

Offline exiled on the wirral!

Re: Safe standing trial offer
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »
I'm not being aggressive, but this subject is a lot more difficult than just sticking a terrace on a large area of what is currently seating and seeing what happens. You will have to deal with councils, police, licensing authorities and a lot of negative publicity from media and such groups as the Hillsborough families. You will have to make sure that everything is 100% safe and nothing can go wrong because it will be the most scrutinised part of any football ground in the country, if not the world. That means a trial in a small area then, if it works, it can be rolled out in a larger section of the ground. If my maths are correct the area in question will cover something like 0.6% of total capacity. That might not sound much but it's a lot bigger than most consumer trials.     
I agree with you on all that Dave, its going to be a difficult thing to implement though thats why I said I cant see it coming in due to those and other factors.As ive said before I would like to see it come in, but maybe im just being cynical. When do football clubs ever put the fans first. If the villa are "the exception to the rule" then that would be fantastic. I just hope its not us who ends up paying for it through higher ticket prices.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »
While you can criticise them on playing matters, you can't say much about the board and their customer relations. I also think that all clubs are worried about the increasing age of their fanbase and standing is one thing that can help in this respect. 

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »
The Witton End, with it's one entry point, has a little too much of Leppings Lane about it to make it suitable for any early trial. One entry point and a long narrow strip of terrace. People will have tickets for a set space, but in the early stages of 'safe standing' they may choose to just revert to what they remember - standing where they like. This could scupper it very early on if there is even a hint of a crush developing because everyone decides to stand near the end where they came in. The principle of standing which is as organised as sitting needs to be well established in small steps, and be well thought out as to which areas of the ground are most suitable.

That corner of the Holte is an ideal start.
So if the trial is in that corner of the holte wouldnt the same thing happen, people will be coming in and out through one area?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
The Witton End, with it's one entry point, has a little too much of Leppings Lane about it to make it suitable for any early trial. One entry point and a long narrow strip of terrace. People will have tickets for a set space, but in the early stages of 'safe standing' they may choose to just revert to what they remember - standing where they like. This could scupper it very early on if there is even a hint of a crush developing because everyone decides to stand near the end where they came in. The principle of standing which is as organised as sitting needs to be well established in small steps, and be well thought out as to which areas of the ground are most suitable.

That corner of the Holte is an ideal start.
So if the trial is in that corner of the holte wouldnt the same thing happen, people will be coming in and out through one area?

Yes but it's only a small corner of the ground. If it is successful and they expand it then they will need to look more carefully at entry and exit points and indeed how to cope with extra numbers in concourses. But as others have pointed out, it will be a trial, any issues and it will be stopped until the problems are addressed.
 What will need to be pointed out very early to the fans is that they are on trial just as much as the terracing, one hint of "standing where they want" or pushing and shoving and the trial will finish and we can say goodbye to terracing forever.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
Id be happy to see standing back on the basis that I could celebrate a goal properly. I'm 6 foot 5 so since seats have been introduced i have lost count of the number of times i've destroyed my knees on the seat in front of me when celebrating a goal.

Of course standing behind me might be a problem  ;) ...............

Offline kinvervilla

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »
Guys and Gals, I've just realised why Bloose are so crap - its deliberate. They are obviously trying to get into the third tier of football so they can reintroduce standing areas at the Sty without going through delicate negotiations with the Premier or Football Leagues. Brilliant idea.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2012, 08:59:03 PM »
I think football should allow to reintroduce standing area as long they have 2,500   people limit in one stand, so it will be easier for crowd control rather than have say 15,000 people.  So this way fans will be happy and the club will be happy to have this option without massive headache.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »
Guys and Gals, I've just realised why Bloose are so crap - its deliberate. They are obviously trying to get into the third tier of football so they can reintroduce standing areas at the Sty without going through delicate negotiations with the Premier or Football Leagues. Brilliant idea.

I reckon you should probably avoid using the term 'Guys and Gals' at the moment. Other phrases best avoided also include, 'Now then, now then', 'Ow's about that then' and making strange ululating noises. Good point re small heath's cunning plan though

Offline Hampshire Villa

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »
and this it what I miss,bouncing up and down on the top right watching the villa win...

I just miss watching the Villa win!

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
I started standing on the Holte at the age of 14, I took my brother when he was 11 - how the hell did we survive?
We used to take fans from other teams onto the Holte for the experience because it was a/ exciting and b/ safe.

Nothing is 100% safe and doubtless the first fans trying this out will have to sign a waiver in case of hideous injury - most likely a result of self-harm due to the performances.

Sorry if this is not taking it seriously but get a grip - this is standing up - it is what made us differnet from the chimps!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
If you want to stand just get a ticket for the lower North Stand, as a lot of fans stand all game in that part of the ground!!  Most visiting away fans also stand all game and I can't say that I have seen too many safety issues or violent incidents.

Would anybody be able to shed some light on exactly how safe standing works in countries like Germany? 

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »
If you want to stand just get a ticket for the lower North Stand, as a lot of fans stand all game in that part of the ground!!  Most visiting away fans also stand all game and I can't say that I have seen too many safety issues or violent incidents.

Would anybody be able to shed some light on exactly how safe standing works in countries like Germany? 

Her you go...

http://youtu.be/apX5V1IJCW4

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »

Her you go...

Great idea and very safe by the looks of it.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 10:06:57 PM »

I can't see how there can be any argument against that to be honest. 

Her you go...

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
This has cropped up in the press again.  Observer Link.  The support for this certainly seems to be growing.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see some movement once the Hillsborough inquiry's over.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal