collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

FFP by Dave
[Today at 03:25:24 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:24:02 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 03:25:24 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:24:02 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by olaftab
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 55386 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Fulham v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2012, 04:18:43 PM »
Baker has really impressed me too, more than Clark to be honest.

Any injury news?
Was about to ask the same. Hope it isn't too bad. He looks a proper defender and should be getting more games.

Looked a really nasty ankle injury - I was amazed he could limp off and would be surprised if there's no ligament damage.

Offline 1874

« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
Crap! Down to two centre backs for a while. I suppose Lowton can play there. I think Herd was played there once in pre-season too.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »
I'm not convinced by Clark at all anyway. Baker has long looked the better centre back and I've been impressed by him in the league cup and pre-season. The problem is Bennett and Lowton don't get any protection, and Bennett in particular panics when it looks like he's one-on-one. Lichaj has looked really crummy when he's played this season, and we've seen the last of Warnock. I suggest Baker for Clark, Clark for Bennett.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2012, 05:35:33 PM »
I like Baker as well. I feel sorry for him, whenever he seems to get into the team he picks up an injury of some sort. If he's fit again, it might be worth leaving him in for next week to deal with Grant Holt.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »
Agreed about Baker, he played well.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
Agree on Baker. Big strong courageous lad. A future captain I'd say.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »

I disagree about Bennett.I think his pace makes him confident in one to one situations.He played well against Lennon and Bale last week, and generally looked comfortable yday.Where he needs to improve is going foward.He has the ability to be a very good LB.

I said 12 months ago Baker will play for England, and i stand by it, better defender than Clark, who for me is a liability at the back, doesn't read danger.

Lowton is ok, no more than that, but better than Eric, and Hutton.

As someone said earlier, with a good footballer in midfield, we are not far off,.I like KEA and Delphs work rate, and retention, but they need better movement off the ball from up front, and that includes the 2 FBs giving more of an option.

Vlaar looked class again as well.

Offline pestria

« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »
We didn't get enough crosses in from decent positions, if I've a criticism of PL its that his system needs the width to come from the full backs and neither of them are up to it at this stage in their careers.

In answer to the question posed above if we were to spend big money on a player in Jan I'd spend it on a full back with captaincy qualities.

The full backs can't get forward for two reasons; the midfield is very narrow leaves them exposed and secondly the midfield doesn't control enough of the game in the opposition half allowing the full back to move forward to positions from which to deliver quality balls into the box.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »
Lowton was really good. Vlaar and Guzan too.

Nzogbia looked good when he came on, I think he should start the next game. We just look better when he plays, even if he plays badly.

I didn't think anyone had a shocker particularly but thats the most worrying thing. We have a lot of players who are consistently, sort of, kind of, like, um mostly, Ok? They aren't even under performing they just aren't good enough. They are all up to playing at this level, but I don't think you can have a whole side of them. One or two quality additions and they'd be fine, but without them we will continue to struggle.

Fulham looked as strong as us or stronger across the park. Someone like Risse is just a standard Premier league player, the kind that we need but don't have. You wouldn't get his name put on your shirt but he has an efficient quality and experience. We are too short of that at the moment.

Bent is worrying me at the moment, a lot of eggs in one barely involved basket.
About says it all

That sort of player could be Reo-Coker, has he found a club  yet?  Would do a Petrov style role in midfield.  Not spectacular, just a voice and experience.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
Lowton was really good. Vlaar and Guzan too.

Nzogbia looked good when he came on, I think he should start the next game. We just look better when he plays, even if he plays badly.

I didn't think anyone had a shocker particularly but thats the most worrying thing. We have a lot of players who are consistently, sort of, kind of, like, um mostly, Ok? They aren't even under performing they just aren't good enough. They are all up to playing at this level, but I don't think you can have a whole side of them. One or two quality additions and they'd be fine, but without them we will continue to struggle.

Fulham looked as strong as us or stronger across the park. Someone like Risse is just a standard Premier league player, the kind that we need but don't have. You wouldn't get his name put on your shirt but he has an efficient quality and experience. We are too short of that at the moment.

Bent is worrying me at the moment, a lot of eggs in one barely involved basket.
About says it all

That sort of player could be Reo-Coker, has he found a club  yet?  Would do a Petrov style role in midfield.  Not spectacular, just a voice and experience.

Reo Coker is at Ipswich . Can we leave him there please

Offline Newquay_AVFC

« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
A very poor game but on the bright side i had a fantastic weekend in London. Were in a hell of alot of trouble and i am more worried now than i was at any point last season.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »
This is a bit late now, but my match verdict for Saturday has been posted here: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/aston-villa/fansverdict/20-10-2012/Fulham-vs-Aston%20Villa. It was written barely minutes after the game finished...

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2012, 08:13:30 AM »
This is a bit late now, but my match verdict for Saturday has been posted here: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/aston-villa/fansverdict/20-10-2012/Fulham-vs-Aston%20Villa. It was written barely minutes after the game finished...

You've got E Ahmadi twice in your team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal