collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 04:54:20 PM]

FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:54:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Cliftonville Villlain
[Today at 04:54:01 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R24;Europa Conf🏆 QF ASTON VILLA v Lille OSC! 🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:43:48 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 04:31:41 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 04:29:17 PM]

MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:26:39 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 04:25:59 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 04:54:20 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:54:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Cliftonville Villlain
[Today at 04:54:01 PM]

Re: FFP by jon collett
[Today at 04:53:50 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 04:48:55 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 04:47:16 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 04:46:49 PM]

Re: FFP by aev
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham v Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread  (Read 30116 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Fulham v Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »
Hard to predict the team as always but I think it'll be: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Bennett, KEA, Delph, Holman, N'Zogbia, Benteke, Bent. (4-2-2-2)

I agree, but wonder if Holman will be rested after his travels. Ireland might get the nod. Not sure if n'zogbia will start, perhaps albrighton and a diamond

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »
From Auntie:

Barclays Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage
Date: Saturday, 20 October

TEAM NEWS
Fulham forwards Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric have recovered from respective hip and calf injuries.

Mahamadou Diarra could also feature after a knee problem, but Bryan Ruiz is a doubt after suffering a groin injury on international duty last weekend.

Aston Villa midfielder Stephen Ireland should return after missing three games with a broken bone in his wrist.

Joe Bennett will keep his place after recovering from a gashed leg, but Ciaran Clark is a slight injury doubt.

MATCH PREVIEW
This fixture opened last season's campaign for these two clubs and they have enjoyed different fortunes since. The goalless draw was Martin Jol's first match in charge of Fulham and he has steadily built on the solid foundations at the club. He'll face a different Scotsman in the opposite dug out at Craven Cottage, as Paul Lambert looks for just his second league win since succeeding Alex McLeish.

It's been a tough challenge for the new Villa boss, with five points from 21 representing their worst start since 1986. There has to be a touch of realism to their expectations. Some of their new faces have come from lower divisions and some from abroad, and they have to be given time to gel and adjust to the demands of the top flight. They joined a squad that won just seven matches last season and recorded the club's worst Premier League points tally.

Scoring goals has been a problem and even Darren Bent has lost his place in recent weeks, while they'll be hoping that Christian Benteke can follow up his goal for Belgium against Scotland this week with another one in the Premeir League to help them get any sort of result.

That is far from straight forward at Craven Cottage though, where Fulham are traditionally strong and only four teams won last season. They also pushed the champions all the way in their last home game. They have won four matches already and will still be frustrated that figure isn't five after events at Southampton last time out.

I watched them win at Wigan last month and they look more of a threat in front of goal this season with the likes of Berbatov, Rodallega, Petric and Ruiz.

Villa haven't won away since January and will need to be at their very best to prevent Fulham having another profitable day in front of goal.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

•Fulham have only won three of their 22 Premier League meetings with Aston Villa. All of those victories have come at home.
•The goalless draw between these sides on the opening day of last season was the fifth stalemate in their last eight encounters at Craven Cottage.

Fulham

•Fulham have won nine and drawn two of their 13 home matches in 2012, earning 29 points out of a possible 39.
•Martin Jol's have scored 15 goals this season, a tally bettered only by Manchester United (17) prior to this weekend's matches.
•However, they have already dropped eight points from winning positions - only Southampton (11 points) have a worse record.
•Only Barcelona (66.7%) have a better shooting accuracy than Fulham (63.5%) across Europe's top five leagues this season.

Aston Villa

•Five points after seven matches is Villa's worst start to a top-flight season since 1986-87, when they were relegated.
•They are winless in their last 12 Premier League away matches spanning 10 months (D5, L7).
•Only Sunderland and Norwich have scored fewer goals than the six mustered by Villa in their seven Premier League matches.
•They have not conceded a first-half goal in their last five league matches - but let in eight second-half goals during that time.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »
Bent and Benteke to start for me .

Benteke will be on a high after scoring for Belgium , Bent will be up for it. Then Benteke will tire after 60 mins and bring a fresh speedy Gabby on for 25/30 mins with a point to prove as well.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »
I'm going for a 2-1 away win now. Come on villa!

Offline danlanza

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »
Have a good day all you Villa who go down there.
UTV.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Hard to predict the team as always but I think it'll be: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Bennett, KEA, Delph, Holman, N'Zogbia, Benteke, Bent. (4-2-2-2)

I agree, but wonder if Holman will be rested after his travels. Ireland might get the nod. Not sure if n'zogbia will start, perhaps albrighton and a diamond
We do need a diamond in midfield!

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
A defeat today will be very worrying and the team will be under huge pressure to get a result against Norwich before the tough November fixtures one along.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
I think it will be Bent and Gabby starting today. Both trained during the week, while Benteke had two games. Depending on how we're doing I reckon he'll be given a breather and come off the bench in the second half. Ireland, Holman and KEA in the middle and I think there could be a spot for Delph also protecting the back four.

2-0 Villa - Bent with a brace

Offline danlanza

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
Good to see that most are being positive about our chances today. UTV.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2012, 01:40:10 PM »
I think Bent will start if Ireland starts

Villa win 2-1

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
I'd go:

Guzan
Lowton
Bennett
Clark
Vlaar

Ireland
KEA
Delph
Holman

Gabby
Benteke

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
Bloody hell 1 win in 17 league games is a bloody awful record, we really need to start turning it around.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
Bloody hell 1 win in 17 league games is a bloody awful record, we really need to start turning it around.
I did not know it was that poor. That really is shocking.
Going to the boozer and the bookies now. Hopefully we can put this shocking stat into the back of our memories. UTV.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:53:52 PM by danlanza »

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
WM interview with PL, insists there isn't a problem with Bent (laughing and joking in training etc). I wasn't convinced. However WM thinks it's a hint that Bent will start.

Unfortunately I'm going for a 2-0 home win.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
Really can't see us getting anything out of this, I think Berbatov will have a field day with our shoddy defence. Still no width to the team either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal