collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dalian Atkinson  (Read 86772 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Dalian Atkinson
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
On his day he was unstoppable. Unfortunately, there weren't that many days.

I was at both Sheff Wed and Wimbledon in 92/93 to witness 3 tremendous goals and who knows what could have been achieved that season if he'd have stayed fit. Together, him and Deano were great.

Special mention for his last minute header against Tranmere to force extra time at Villa Park. Possibly the most I've ever wanted us to score in all my years watching Villa. Anyone else remember his mazy run in the last minute of extra time in the same game ? He beat about 3 or 4 and was finally stopped by a tackle in the penalty area if memory serves me well.

Would have brought the house down if he'd of scored.   

Always thought his goal in the last few minutes of the first leg of that semi-final was the most important one of that tie.  Don't think we would have come back from 3-0 down, but that goal gave us some hope for the second leg.   

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:45:06 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
It was a cracking volley as well.

Offline CorkVilla

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »
Where is he now??

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »
Probably at an all you can eat restaurant.

Offline JQV

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 02:46:57 AM »
All of the above, will always be one of my favourite players.  Scored a goal at The Nou Camp to die for, made Koeman look like a right mug.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 09:10:54 AM »
What a waste of talent. How I would love to have had 10% of the talent this guy had. He should have swapped 50% of his talent for 50% more commitment and he would have been a world beater. When he could be bothered he was brilliant. Him and Collymore are peas in a pod.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
Great memories, great player and a great waste of potential

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »

When we signed him, his 1st game was against Wens at Hillsborough.I asked 2 old Wens fans in the pub if he was any good, they said "better than Shearer", and on his day he was.Most talented player i ever saw down VP.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »
Dalian aka sicknote had bucketfuls of talent and when he could be arsed was fantastic to watch. I recall doing the double over ManU in the cup and league in one week (Deano scored in the cup) and the Witton Lane was full of Mancs for the cup game. Shame he never fulfilled his potential. They were great days back then and that team Big Ron assembled was great entertainment to watch.

That got me thinking and in all my time going down the Villa the only occasions I remember an away side filling the whole Witton Lane stand was the that United game and Juventus. As for Dalian, I used to know a bloke who 'pimped his ride' for him about twenty years ago. My memory is a bit hazy but the gist of it was Dalian used to go in every week to see what else he could have done. After having every possible audio, visual and gaming gadget of the time fitted along with numerous speakers the guy had to say to tell him that as much as he was happy to take his money there was nothing else he could have fitted along with the fact there was no room left in the car.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »
Dalian aka sicknote had bucketfuls of talent and when he could be arsed was fantastic to watch. I recall doing the double over ManU in the cup and league in one week (Deano scored in the cup) and the Witton Lane was full of Mancs for the cup game. Shame he never fulfilled his potential. They were great days back then and that team Big Ron assembled was great entertainment to watch.

That got me thinking and in all my time going down the Villa the only occasions I remember an away side filling the whole Witton Lane stand was the that United game and Juventus. As for Dalian, I used to know a bloke who 'pimped his ride' for him about twenty years ago. My memory is a bit hazy but the gist of it was Dalian used to go in every week to see what else he could have done. After having every possible audio, visual and gaming gadget of the time fitted along with numerous speakers the guy had to say to tell him that as much as he was happy to take his money there was nothing else he could have fitted along with the fact there was no room left in the car.

Liverpool FA Cup Jan '88, the Witton was full of Scousers (and people from Shropshire). It was due to the cup allocation rules I think.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
The Rainman Goal will stay with me forever.
Funnily enough there was an article in this weeks programme about "Rainman"
He is 59 now and returns every 10th anniversary of dalians goal to B6 with a brolly

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »

They gave Small Heath the whole of the Witton Lane in a Division 2 game in 1986.  The bastards won and started jumping on the pitch 'offering the Holte out' when they scored.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »

They gave Small Heath the whole of the Witton Lane in a Division 2 game in 1986.  The bastards won and started jumping on the pitch 'offering the Holte out' when they scored.
Remember, there was a bloody big metal fence keeping us in the Holte. The wankers were soon on their toes outside after the game. Wankers.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »

They didn't have all of it; they had the normal away bit and a couple of hundred of them went into our part. I was a steward in there at that time.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:20:19 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »
Was the Karen Brady comment to BFR about having his 'son' play for him fact or fiction?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal