collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerry Hitchens  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Exeter 77

Re: Gerry Hitchens
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 10:41:29 PM »
Indeed a great player and one of the rare successes of his era when he went to Italy.

The fact that he succeeded in Italy, where many great players failed, has always made me think he must have been special.

Absolutely. A special talent, even if he was in the England team beaten by the USA

Thought that would have been before his international career started. 
That was 1950 when he would gave been only 15. He was the first major British success in Italy succeeding where Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law failed playing for Torino,  Atalanta and Caligiari as well as Inter.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 09:43:34 AM »
Indeed a great player and one of the rare successes of his era when he went to Italy.

The fact that he succeeded in Italy, where many great players failed, has always made me think he must have been special.

Absolutely. A special talent, even if he was in the England team beaten by the USA

Thought that would have been before his international career started. 
That was 1950 when he would gave been only 15. He was the first major British success in Italy succeeding where Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law failed playing for Torino,  Atalanta and Caligiari as well as Inter.

Not arguing with you E77 but just to say that Eddie Firmani who played for Charlton played for a few clubs in Italy, and was relatively successful, Inter being one of those clubs and his goal scoring record was non too shabby.  He was South African born.

One of the best footballers I ever saw was John Charles who enjoyed Paul McGrath status in Italy such was his ability both up front and in defence.

I take your point about Gerry though.  One of very few that settled early and made a significant impact over there.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Much as I thought Gerry Hitchens was great  John Charles was on a different level.  An absolute beast, I saw him towards the end of his career but he made a real impression on me.  My dad reckoned he and Duncan Edwards were the best two players he ever saw, closely followed by Billy Walker.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 06:29:57 AM »
I was in the Gerry Hitchens Suite at Highley Working Men's Club last night. If you've never been, which you probably haven't, I'd suggest going soon, as I was one of five people there and you can't run a business like that! His Inter shirt was in a frame on the wall, as well as some other cool photos. Some elderly gents were in attendance also, one of whom knew my dad, which was a nice treat.

I'd never been to a working men's club before. What a place!

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 08:56:36 PM »
The Longbridge Social still has a Gents Only bar. It is one of the saddest bars Ive ever been in!

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 09:33:22 PM »
I was in the Gerry Hitchens Suite at Highley Working Men's Club last night. If you've never been, which you probably haven't, I'd suggest going soon, as I was one of five people there and you can't run a business like that! His Inter shirt was in a frame on the wall, as well as some other cool photos. Some elderly gents were in attendance also, one of whom knew my dad, which was a nice treat.

Gerry was my Uncle. Back in the 1960's My Aunt bought a caravan, sited in Highly, used to take me and my brother most weekends in the summer. Spent many a saturday night in Highley club.

2 other things about Highley

Parker pens were made there

One more Sombre, as we went regularly we made friends with the locals, one of whom was Lesley Whittle, who was murdered by Donald Neilson aka the Black Panther

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 09:39:25 PM »

Gerry was my Uncle. Back in the 1960's My Aunt bought a caravan, sited in Highly, used to take me and my brother most weekends in the summer. Spent many a saturday night in Highley club.

2 other things about Highley

Parker pens were made there

One more Sombre, as we went regularly we made friends with the locals, one of whom was Lesley Whittle, who was murdered by Donald Neilson aka the Black Panther

Mrs SE worked in that factory as a holiday job. And was best friends with Lesley's niece growing up (obviously long after the awful event). Small place!

Her folks also knew Gerry pretty well I think.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 09:44:28 PM »
I watched the 66 world cup final at Gerrys House wearing his full England kit and cap.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 09:59:50 PM »
I watched the 66 world cup final at Gerrys House wearing his full England kit and cap.

Oof!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal