collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst awaydays past and present.  (Read 57577 times)

Offline Newquay_AVFC

Re: Worst awaydays past and present.
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »
The sty, the season Heskey scored for them. My wife was pregnant so it wasn't a great feeling outside the away end. Agree with Selhurst Park too, a bitch to get to. Travelled with my dad and brother to watch Fulham during the late 80's early 90's when ever the Villa were away and went to some proper dumps. Wigans old ground, Southend and Bristol Rovers who i think shared with Bath city were just a few.

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
Portsmouth away in FA Cup, absolutely poured down, was drenched and had my young nephews with me who moaned constantly throughout! 

Think Simon Grayson got a late equalizer for a 2-2 final score.

We had tickets in the stand with the Portsmouth fans and I remember seeing the rain go in sideways straight into the faces!

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
The old Wembley and Spurs are both cack I think.

In terms of trouble the FA Cup against Chelsea a few seasons ago was bad, lots of people unconscious and covered in blood.

From a personal point of view, going to Charlton via seventeen different forms of transport, only to see us lose 3-0 was quite grim. No trouble though.

When and what went on with the Chelsea game?? Who was covered in blood? mainly us or them?

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »

In terms of trouble the FA Cup against Chelsea a few seasons ago was bad, lots of people unconscious and covered in blood.

From a personal point of view, going to Charlton via seventeen different forms of transport, only to see us lose 3-0 was quite grim. No trouble though.

When and what went on with the Chelsea game?? Who was covered in blood? mainly us or them?

Chelsea was the Semi-Final (in 2010?). Not helped by all fans being shepherded towards the same exit. No idea if they were Villa or Chelsea unconscious, but it wasn't good and there was a definite feeling of menace through the day.

And that was the Charlton 3-0 yes, Parker tore us to pieces. Think useless ex-Charlton player Kinsella was playing for us, he was dreadful.

Offline Broughty-Villian

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »
plough lane went a few times, worst was when they cancelled a midweek game.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »

Chelsea was the Semi-Final (in 2010?). Not helped by all fans being shepherded towards the same exit. No idea if they were Villa or Chelsea unconscious, but it wasn't good and there was a definite feeling of menace through the day.

And that was the Charlton 3-0 yes, Parker tore us to pieces. Think useless ex-Charlton player Kinsella was playing for us, he was dreadful.

As regards the Chelsea semi, I don't recall any fights or direct violence, but I remember being in a huge line of coaches winding around the Wembley car park and the Chelski fans were all sitting by cars, burning Villa flags and giving it the big'un. I remember thinking 'why don't they fuck off home? They live in this fucking city.'

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
My reading this i realise some real shitholes i have been to during my time watching villa

It makes me think about a comment i heard ion the radio the other day in relation to Hillsborough - in those days football fans were treated like animals, now to be fair a good few of them were and i am not proud of some of the things i did in my youth in the name of the villa. But the point being the times i had been to what is considered good grounds ie, Old Trafford / Everton / Anfield and was rammed in to the point that every goal meant you were 20 feet away from where you started from i am amazed that there were not more deaths

Worst

Liverpool for me back in the 80's  - always had to take your pint in the bogs with you as the scallies would nick it - always asked "Got the time mate" in that horrible scouse drawl.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »

As regards the Chelsea semi, I don't recall any fights or direct violence, but I remember being in a huge line of coaches winding around the Wembley car park and the Chelski fans were all sitting by cars, burning Villa flags and giving it the big'un. I remember thinking 'why don't they fuck off home? They live in this fucking city.'

Chelsea and menace go together, I could not wait to get out of Wembley that day.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »
The sty, the season Heskey scored for them. My wife was pregnant so it wasn't a great feeling outside the away end. Agree with Selhurst Park too, a bitch to get to. Travelled with my dad and brother to watch Fulham during the late 80's early 90's when ever the Villa were away and went to some proper dumps. Wigans old ground, Southend and Bristol Rovers who i think shared with Bath city were just a few.

I forgot about the Bath ground. Twerton Park wasn't it? Went there for Bristol Rovers in the cup in the BFR days when 'Big Mal' was giving it large it in the press (for a change) in the build up. At least we won.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »
Anyone been to see us at Millwall? Also surprised Leeds hasn't been mentioned.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »
Anyone been to see us at Millwall?

Went there in 1967 and again in 1975.
I guess it was worse because we won both times.
The Old Den looked such a welcoming place.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »
Southampton 2012 would be up there!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
Oldham Athletic, grim little shed of a stadium, horrible concrete block of an uncovered terrace behind the goal with no facilities what so ever. I went in  the month of April and it felt like a Seberian winter, which was probably why in those days they had a plastic pitch. We lost 3-0 in a quarter final and i've hated the place since. Horrible town aswell.

I've loved Oldham for 40 years. Wonderful little ground, friendly fans, superb facilities and great food, all round beautiful town, and I'm sure the sun always shines in Oldham.

1972...We won 6-0.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »
Was in a Leeds pub before the first game of the season the year we won the league. [Think they scored after 5 minutes]. They were ok but did try to kick the shit out of us just outside the ground. In those days things like that were run of the mill. You expected it.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
Ipswich in the FA Cup when we lost 1-0 to a Mariner goal.

Took fooking ages to get there, we got lost and ended up in a village called Nasty (this is true!) which seemed to have been taken over by West Ham fans (not sure where they were going. Lost and had to come all the sodding way back...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal