collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:12:26 PM]

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:12:26 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:08:28 PM]

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:04:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:01:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The summer signings  (Read 42500 times)

Offline Jim Shoes

Re: The summer signings
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
8/10 from me, the more I think about it the happier I'm feeling I like the way PL is going about his work.

Of course those from outside the club are going to gloat when we lose and write shit about us, fuck them.

I'm sold on Paul Lamberts idea of young hungry players wanting to do well.

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 08:45:45 AM »
10/10.

Not a single overpriced deal or a single player hitting his 30's. Excellent business.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
6/10 for me.I like the fact he's gone for young players who have a point to prove but I think we are still lacking in a real leader on the pitch.Also by signing Bowery and Westwood does this tell us that the crop of kids we've been talking about for the last few years aren't as good as we'd thought they were? For me from 8th down will be a relegation fight and when Berbatov,Adam,Carroll and Benayoun become available and end up at Fulham,Stoke and West Ham respectively i think our mid table competitors have added quality and experience whereas we've gone for more of a punt.However, Paul lambert deserves our faith in his ability and has (from what i've seen) the majority of the fans firmly behind him.I don't think McLeish or Houlllier would have had our backing in signing so many unproven players at Premier League level.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
I think he needed to replace Stilian's experience and technical ability in the middle, which is a negative. We still look light there against some of the powerful physical midfields sides are typically putting together.

There's something romantic about pulling unknown players out of the lower leagues and fashioning competitive and exciting sides. A certain Mr Saunders was good at that.

The world is different now so I'm still a bit worried about the season ahead - but I don't think I've ever wanted a Villa manager to succeed as much as PL.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »
I'll give a 10 for the refreshing approach PL has had to this transfer window compared to what we have been used to.

Shopping abroad and mainly in the lower leagues is not something we have been accustomed to in recent years and from this group of unknown (to me anyway) players , who in todays terms were relatively inexpensive there are hopefully some real bargains.
The flipside to this approach is the MON way of spunking millions on experience and very little else (Young and Milner aside).

Only time will tell how this way of doing our transfer business will pan out.
I'll also go with cautious optimism.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »
I went 7 out of 10.
I agree with most of the sentiment here where patience is the watchword.
I have never seen him play, nor heard of him previously, but there is something about the Westwood signing that makes me think he might be a special. Maybe it's just the similarity to the Platt deal?

Offline AvFc4eVeR

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2012, 09:17:29 AM »
8/10

What we need to do is back them all the way, even if we have more poor performances like Everton. Booing these new lads won't help, we need to show restraint and be as supportive as we can. As many have said on this thread, this is a project, which we are as much apart of as the new lads coming in.

PL has impressed me with his policy on young hungry players, I just hope he can gel them together and work his magic ala Norwich. I'm glad we got PL and not Brendan Rodgers now, after seeing his non transfer policy.

It will take time, but im hopeful and ready to back them all the way.

UTV

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
8/10

The 9 players (including Guzan) cost less than what was paid for Jarvis and Fletcher.

or in MON terms . Fletcher and Johnson

Offline rutski

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »
I am excited but still feel trepidation with the change in system, the reeducation of seasoned pros and the blooding of promising talented youngsters. This season is not to be a smooth upward curve but lots of peaks and troughs.
We as fans have an enormous part to play in this and need to be patient and trust Paul lambert 100%

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »
Im quite surprised with the high numbers people are giving, we have not signed one proven Premier League footballer. Indeed most of the signings are people we have all never heard of.
I would dearly love to share your optimism but i just dont, hence my vote of 1. We NEEDED experience. In reality history proves that most of our youngsters (most of our team) wont make it.
If history is to be proved correct then we will be playing Championship football next year.
Lets hope we can rewrite the record books eh.

To be fair . I had heard of Sidwell , Shorey , Beye , Warnock ,Harewood ,  Heskey and Hutton and look where that had got us.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
Lots of young enegetic and eager players signed if they turn out anything like Garreth Barry and David Platt the future will be great. Our manager has the eyes we have ho could see the weaknesses in the team straight away. He hasn't spent a fortune either.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 09:24:41 AM »
Well PL has either just started a Villa revolution or signed his own death warrant.

Vive La Revolution!

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
10/10

In Lambert we trust. Optimistic I am.

Yoda? Is that you?
That made me laugh.

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »
7/10 from me.  Nothing much to add to what's already been said other than I think this many new faces will lift the dressing room.  Doesn't matter where or what leagues they're from.  Good luck to them all.

Online nigel

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »
4 International players and 4 uncut diamonds. It's 9 if you count the re-signing of Guzan
Not bad for around £20m

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal