collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paralympics  (Read 9585 times)

Offline Kingthing

Re: Paralympics
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »

I know its a long shot but is anyone off to the closing ceremony tomorrow? My missus is taking our 3 year old and it dawned on us that as there are only two events on (football, which she is going to and Rugby)so the park will be pretty deserted, I've been told that people with Closing tickets won't be allowed in until 5.30 so it won't get busy until then.

I've already been and know what a buzz there is when its full, I don't want her to be disappointed.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »
I've just watched the closing stages of the marathon on C4.  Dave Weir winning his fourth gold.  What can you say about this man?  Truly amazing and along with all the paralympians a shining example to all of us.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »

I know its a long shot but is anyone off to the closing ceremony tomorrow? My missus is taking our 3 year old and it dawned on us that as there are only two events on (football, which she is going to and Rugby)so the park will be pretty deserted, I've been told that people with Closing tickets won't be allowed in until 5.30 so it won't get busy until then.

I've already been and know what a buzz there is when its full, I don't want her to be disappointed.

This is probably too late but the text below is from an email I got by mistake (it was mean't for people going to closing ceremony from outside.)

We are writing to let you know that the Olympic Park will close early on 9 September in preparation for the Closing Ceremony.

When arriving for your 7-a-side Football event on 9 September, bear in mind that  Victoria Gate will be closed for entry from 2pm. You can find further details of gate closures on the London 2012 website

Due to the late finish of your 7-a-side Football event, we suggest you stay inside the Olympic Park after your event to wait for the Closing Ceremony – but please be aware that many of the facilities inside the Park will be closed as the final preparations are made. Follow the directions of staff to a designated area where you can wait to enter the Olympic Stadium.

If you decide to leave the Olympic Park, bear in mind that Victoria Gate will be closed for exit from 3pm and that you will only be able to re-enter the Olympic Park using your Closing Ceremony ticket via  Stratford Gate or Greenway Gate (you will need to go through security again).

Aim to be in your seat inside the Olympic Stadium by 7.30pm at the latest in time for the pre-show. Your ticket will be checked when you arrive at the Olympic Stadium. If you decide to leave the Olympic Stadium, you won’t be allowed back in.

Your ticket will be checked when you arrive at the Olympic Stadium. If you decide to leave either the Olympic Park or the Olympic Stadium, you won’t be allowed back in.

The Closing Ceremony is expected to finish between 11pm and 11.30pm. Please note that you will not be able to leave via Victoria Gate or Eton Manor Gate after the Ceremony.

Those of us staying in the Paralympic village can't get till after 5pm.

I'm afraid you probably won't get the full atmosphere but it should still be a great experience.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
Watching some of the montages and best of before the closing ceremony started and I only went and got something in my eye on more than one occasion, could have been hayfever I suppose.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
Having arranged a weekend in London with my wife to see War Horse on Friday and Proms In The Park last night we went down to Buckingham Palace today to watch the marathon's and the wheelchair marathon's, and were fortunate enough to see David Weir win his fourth gold and Shelly Woods a silver. It was an incredibly humbling experience watching all the athletes with their varying disabilities, particularly the blind marathon runners being led by their guides. It was a great atmosphere, and a real contrast to the football.

We stayed until the medal presentation and were fortunate to meet a Belgian athlete, Frederic van den Heede, who was quite happy to let me take a photo of him with his bronze medal, and to touch it! After arriving home I've discovered his christian names are, Frederick George, the same as those of my late father, and he shares the birthday of my younger son!

All in all a superb weekend.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:56:12 PM by BC54 VFC »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal