collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park as an Olympics Venue  (Read 43817 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Villa Park as an Olympics Venue
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »
Where's Sutton Coldfield gone from 'Thinks He's Mr Kirilenko But Its Me's' map?

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:06 AM »
Villa Park will be hosting the Community Shield between Chelsea and Man City because other venues are being used for the Olympics. If we was holding Olympic games we might of only got some the games most people wouldn't have a lot of interest in and a empty ground.

I'd rather see VP full with fans for the Community Shield, between 2 of our top clubs than possibility of games like Egypt vs New Zealand that could have a half empty ground and wrecking our pitch for games there is little interest in.

And then again we may have had matches that people were interested in.

Offline remy

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »
Villa Park will be hosting the Community Shield between Chelsea and Man City because other venues are being used for the Olympics. If we was holding Olympic games we might of only got some the games most people wouldn't have a lot of interest in and a empty ground.

I'd rather see VP full with fans for the Community Shield, between 2 of our top clubs than possibility of games like Egypt vs New Zealand that could have a half empty ground and wrecking our pitch for games there is little interest in.

..and also what is the difference between Man city / Chelsea wrecking our pitch than New Zealand vs Egypt?

Offline remy

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2012, 09:03:24 AM »
So because Team GB werent going to come and the massively oversubscribed and commercially lucrative non-matchday business (such as weddings and conferences) and the disruption to the start of the season (but its ok for ManUre and Newcastle - both finished higher than Villa last season) its not in the 'best interests of Aston Villa'.

Well done Paul.

I think when a decision is made that can affect thousands of jobs, businesses and lives of ordinary people it should be taken out of the hands of those who think for the minority and should be put as an open question to the majority - the people of Birmingham.

Bollocks to the non-Villa supporting people of Birmingham. When they care about us, that's when we should think about them.

I assume you are talking about the minority BCFC supporters and NOT the potential fanbase of AVFC who dont any club?

Offline remy

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »
Anything happening in our stadium - or in/on any Villa property - should always benefit the club and it's fans.

The Olympic matches wouldn't have, so it's right not to bother.

I disagree. I think the venue of Villa park would have showpieced the lovely ground and sold loads of Villa merchandise via club shop. The ground would also have been beamed around the world. Also I think many football fans in the area would have come to watch.

Offline remy

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »
I can't really see that the prospect of hosting Morocco v Honduras would really have put us on the map.  I think hosting the Community Shield is probably a bigger event anyway considering we wouldn't realistically have hosted too many/if any of the knockout rounds.

And you know this because? Villa Park holds 42,000, St James 52,000 and Old Trafford 76,000.

Offline remy

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
I went to VP last week and noticed that they seem to be replacing the big screen at the corner of the Witton Lane/North Stand. Good news if they are and certainly worth missing the Olympics for.

Really? Then perhaps they should put a vending machine on the concourses so Villa Park can pull out as a World Cup venue if England ever wins the bid.

Offline remy

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2012, 09:17:51 AM »
So because Team GB werent going to come and the massively oversubscribed and commercially lucrative non-matchday business (such as weddings and conferences) and the disruption to the start of the season (but its ok for ManUre and Newcastle - both finished higher than Villa last season) its not in the 'best interests of Aston Villa'.

Well done Paul.

I think when a decision is made that can affect thousands of jobs, businesses and lives of ordinary people it should be taken out of the hands of those who think for the minority and should be put as an open question to the majority - the people of Birmingham.
Who would have thought it, the CEO of Aston Villa doing what's right for Aston Villa. Wonders will never cease.

Take a bow for hiring Mcleish ! And then paying him a huge sum in compensation. And Houllier....and Oneill.

Offline peter w

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2012, 09:21:03 AM »
I take it the bird you wanted to pull last night went off with your mate, remy?

Offline remy

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2012, 09:29:27 AM »

Well done Paul.

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I would laugh in your face if you said it whilst I was there. Utterly ridiculous, AVFC should always come first and a little bit of refelected glory from the Olympics is countered by getting the Community Shield, which will bring more money to the areaas it will be a sell out and more people will watch it worldwide.

So Aston Villa FC is just about the money is it. What was the Acorns partnership done for? Pioneering initiatives as usual by the greatest club in world. When you are happy paying millions to people like Habib Beye, rather than using the some of the money hosting a WORLDWIDE unifying sporting event I think something is wrong here. The Olympics wont be here again in this country for a very long time.

Offline remy

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2012, 09:31:37 AM »
Fuck the people of Birmingham, they're all b-losers aren't they?

At our first game back we would have been greeted by 'Shit On The Villa' spelt wrong in crayon all over the bogs.
Fuck the people of Birmingham, they're all b-losers aren't they?

At our first game back we would have been greeted by 'Shit On The Villa' spelt wrong in crayon all over the bogs.

You do know that Aston Villa is based in the city of Birmingham right?

Offline remy

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »

Well done Paul.

I'm not a Faulkner fan - he has a long way to go before he's restored his reputation in my opinion, but that's a whole different argument - but I really don't see what the problem is with this.

We were originally down to be a venue, then the club pulled out because they thought there would be work being done on the North Stand. The Olympics weren't just planned a few months ago, the plans have been laid for several years now.

The fact we ended up having two horrendous seasons and much lower crowds (for all the various reasons) meant that we didn't have to do the building work, and could have hosted games, but by then the plans were already laid elsewhere.

Besides, how much business do these matches bring? 14,000 people at Coventry last night for their first match.

That's pathetic. We probably bring more business to the City with a medium sized convention than a crowd the size Blues get. In fact, I bet hosting the Jamaican and US track and field teams for a week or so brought in more money.

I think the reason we pulled out because of the building work was premature. I honestly believe we would have got larger crowds at Villa Park than Coventry did when I went earlier in the week. Most of the people I sat around were not even from Coventry.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
Well, I prefer to think of as the city of Birmingham being based around Aston Villa, but yes, I do know that remy.

But thanks anyway, I suppose for all you know I might be as stupid as you make me out.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:24:03 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline remy

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »

Well done Paul.

Who would have thought it, the CEO of Aston Villa doing what's right for Aston Villa. Wonders will never cease.

Totally agree, sorry Remy but Aston Villa comes before anything else. I dont want the Olymics at Villa. We dont need exposure for our fabulous ground as it is world renowned already, also the olymics wouldnt have been particularly worth while financially. Everything points to a No from me

Yeah so world renowned that when you come to the Arrivals at Birmingham airport they have Cadburys world and Shakespeare as murals. I agree the 'Olymics' might not have been tangible (financially) rewarding but intangible rewarding (goodwill, showcasing the ground, bringing new people to VP, researching about the club) getting involved with a national event.

Offline remy

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

Well done Paul.

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I would laugh in your face if you said it whilst I was there. Utterly ridiculous, AVFC should always come first and a little bit of refelected glory from the Olympics is countered by getting the Community Shield, which will bring more money to the areaas it will be a sell out and more people will watch it worldwide.

Agree Karl.
I think PF has got it spot on again.
We'd have had 3 or 4 games which would have probably only sold about 10,000 (given the Coventry game) Which would hardly cover cost of opening the ground.
The Community Shield will be a sell out and will most likely bring as much money to the local area.
Yes, Well done Paul

Birmingham is a larger metropolitan area. Larger fanbase, central location, larger ground. Its like comparing a frozen cheesburger to a prime steak when you compare Coventry and Birmingham.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal