collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:27:52 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 08:27:07 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:23:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:23:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:20:07 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by jon collett
[Today at 08:19:03 PM]

Re: Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 08:17:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:15:59 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan update  (Read 31083 times)

Offline pestria

Re: Stan update
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »
What it means is that the first round of treatment has been a success but there's a long way to go before he can be said to be free of the disease. The normal course of events, or at least what has happened to Leukemia sufferers that I know, would be to follow up the chemotherapy with a bone marrow transplant from a matching donor. They usually reckon about 12 months treatment from start to finish for a typical sufferer (although a fit sportsmen is probably not a typical sufferer) so although this is good news and a great start there is still a way to go before we can say for certain that he's cured.

I'll just add as a disclaimer that I'm not a doctor and am just speaking from experience of people who I have met over the past few months and that it is entirely possible that other cases might take a different course entirely.
I keep thinking Geoff Thomas and Bob Champion they made a sucessful recovery from this awful illness (and thats probably the wrong word.)

Its good news for Stan and his wife. Lets hope the positive news keeps coming.

Geoff Thomas had/has a chronic leukemia which is a very different beast from the acute variant.
Bob Champion had testicular cance, which again is a whole different ball game.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »
Could you rephrase your last sentence?

Online Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 03:21:41 PM »
What it means is that the first round of treatment has been a success but there's a long way to go before he can be said to be free of the disease. The normal course of events, or at least what has happened to Leukemia sufferers that I know, would be to follow up the chemotherapy with a bone marrow transplant from a matching donor. They usually reckon about 12 months treatment from start to finish for a typical sufferer (although a fit sportsmen is probably not a typical sufferer) so although this is good news and a great start there is still a way to go before we can say for certain that he's cured.

I'll just add as a disclaimer that I'm not a doctor and am just speaking from experience of people who I have met over the past few months and that it is entirely possible that other cases might take a different course entirely.
I keep thinking Geoff Thomas and Bob Champion they made a sucessful recovery from this awful illness (and thats probably the wrong word.)

Geoff Thomas had/has a chronic leukemia which is a very different beast from the acute variant.

Accidental pun?

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
I hope that your last line was an unintended pun Pestria, then again some would argue that humour in dealing with this terrible disease is a necessary requirement.

My good mate and fellow Villan, JW, is celebrating his first year anniversary of his bone marrow transplant and apart from the obvious worry that his anonymous donor could be a Blue-nose, perish the thought, and the fact his DNA has changed he is in very good health and back at work.

Keep flicking the V's at this terrible disease, Stan.

Offline evalast1910

• GM : 29.02.2016
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »
My father, massive Villa fan, was diagnosed with kidney cancer at the start of the year, came through complete success, last Wednesday got the news he has Leukemia. Here is hoping he can pull through to remission like Stan and then has to get through another 5 years in remission until you are 'cured' of it.

Offline pestria

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »

Accidental pun?

quite deliberate

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »
My father, massive Villa fan, was diagnosed with kidney cancer at the start of the year, came through complete success, last Wednesday got the news he has Leukemia. Here is hoping he can pull through to remission like Stan and then has to get through another 5 years in remission until you are 'cured' of it.
Sorry to hear that, hopefully he gets better soon.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
Fantastic news

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
See you on Aston Park for a kickabout before home matches then Stan - great news

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

Hope it goes well for him.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »

Hope it goes well for him.

Seconded.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully he will make a full recovery in time.

Online Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully he will make a full recovery in time.

Me too.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »
Seen him and family at Euston this evening. He looked well.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Brilliant stuff.

I don't usually get emotional over stuff but there certainly will be tears welling up when he's back on the VP turf at some point next season even if it's just in a suit before a game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal