collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ure's off  (Read 32390 times)

Offline TRO

Re: Press-ure's off
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »

Dave, don't be such a patronising tit.

Read all todays websites and their home pages to see the world is thinking the same.

Do you insult everyone who disagrees with you, or is it a special treat you reserve for us? Either way, it's not very impressive.

So saying "I'm in a minority of one" wasn't your insult first , Dave ? Likewise not impressed either.

Of course it isn't an insult; it's stating a fact. Nobody on this thread has agreed with you, therefore you're in a minority of one. The only insulting words on this topic have come from you. If you're not impressed, nobody's forcing you to stay.

You have ONE agreeing with you too, on this thread. The other closest one, saying "it's an interesting read"and the rest stating you cant compare one sport against the other.

So you telling me that you're not impressed that I have argued against you and vice versa , has now turned into a get out off our website remark ? Thought you had more about you, than that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
You were wrong about that as well.

Offline TRO

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »
I've gathered now (about the last bit).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:14:33 PM by TRO »

Offline TRO

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »

So you still think you know of better ?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
At sprinting? No.

Across a whole range of distances? Yes.

Could Usain Bolt win the 5000 metres?

But you'll never get it.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
One way to de-rail your own argument is using the Sun as evidence.

Offline TRO

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
At sprinting? No.

But you'll never get it.

I get it .......... but I wasn't the one who stated that Usain Bolt be bought into the argument.

You cant bring yesterdays men's records into this and call them "Greats" in comparison to today .

Allan Well's Gold medal win of 1980 's , race time would not even get him into todays heats, let alone a final.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
Not as good as Jesse Owens

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »
At sprinting? No.

But you'll never get it.

I get it .......... but I wasn't the one who stated that Usain Bolt be bought into the argument.

You cant bring yesterdays men's records into this and call them "Greats" in comparison to today .

Allan Well's Gold medal win of 1980 's , race time would not even get him into todays heats, let alone a final.

You quite clearly don't get it. In fact, I wonder why you keep re-starting this debate. In a couple of years time someone will run faster than Usain Bolt and according to you, that won't make him great anymore.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »

You quite clearly don't get it. In fact, I wonder why you keep re-starting this debate. In a couple of years time someone will run faster than Usain Bolt and according to you, that won't make him great anymore.

I think the only person who will run faster than Usain Bolt in two years will be Usain Bolt.  The man's unbelievable.  It'll take somebody extraordinary to better his acheivements, and I don't believe that there's anybody out there capable at the moment.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »
But we think that all the time. Even now two or three sprinters are creeping closer to Bolt's WR, if Bolt can carry on going he may hold the record for five or six years, but it will go.

The one athletics WR that seems to be out of reach to everyone at the moment is Jonathan Edwards' 18.29m in the triple jump, there's hardly a jump over 18m these days. Can we call Edwards as better than Bolt, he's held the WR for 17 years now.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »

I think the only person who will run faster than Usain Bolt in two years will be Usain Bolt.  The man's unbelievable.  It'll take somebody extraordinary to better his acheivements, and I don't believe that there's anybody out there capable at the moment.

Unless we're going down the Gregnash road of a few = two and no more, ever, then it'll indeed be a few years rather than a strict two. But you don't know; Tiger Woods was going to win the highest number of Majors by a distance, Mike Tyson would be unbeaten forever and Bob Beamon's 1968 long jump record would last until the end of the century.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
The greatest sportsperson of all time is Jim Thorpe............

Offline peter w

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »
Yes Usain Bolt is unbelievable. As is the way that Jamica is currently churning out men and women who are winning every medal in the sprints and running quicker and quicker. Totally unbelievable. Or is that disbelievable?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »
But we think that all the time. Even now two or three sprinters are creeping closer to Bolt's WR, if Bolt can carry on going he may hold the record for five or six years, but it will go.

The one athletics WR that seems to be out of reach to everyone at the moment is Jonathan Edwards' 18.29m in the triple jump, there's hardly a jump over 18m these days. Can we call Edwards as better than Bolt, he's held the WR for 17 years now.

Who's creeping closer though?  Yohan Blake's best time is nearly 0.2 of a second slower than Bolt's WR, and Tyson Gay managed 9.69 3 years ago, and he's now 30.  Usain Bolt is just an incredible one off, and the thing about the 100m is it's all about pure physical exertion.  There's no team mates to rely on, and little in the way of equipment or other things that can have an effect.  I honestly believe that no other runner will get close to him when he's fully fit, and that he'll break his own record sooner or later.  There are lots of superb 100m sprinters like Blake, Gay and Gatlin, but Bolt just outclasses them all easily.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal