collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bent left out of England squad  (Read 20613 times)

Online enigma

Re: Bent left out of England squad
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »
Surpised there's no room for Micah Richards with Kyle Walker injured. I rate him higher than Phil Jones personally.

I feel sorry for Richards as well, but with only 7 defenders, they had to have versatility, and Jones gives you that.

So does Richards. He can play at RB or CB.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »
Good news for our chances of keeping him, but I am gutted for him. There's an interview on the OS with him about it, which seems very positive - sounds like he's staying.

"I am determined to come back stronger like I have the previous two times I have missed out.

"This won't stop me or deter me.

"I now look to the World Cup in two years and will try to be involved in that one. I want to put myself in contention again.

"My total focus is on Villa next season now. I am confident we will improve and have a much better season. The previous one was obviously not great but this is a massive club and we have to make sure that was just a blip.

"We need to get behind the new manager when he comes in and put all our efforts into the new campaign."

Offline James

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »
Hodgson handled the press conference very well in fairness, shame about the squad selection though.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »
Will Bent go to the Olympics instead then?  And what about Gabby, Bannan, Albrighton, Collins, Gardner etc.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
Surpised there's no room for Micah Richards with Kyle Walker injured. I rate him higher than Phil Jones personally.

I feel sorry for Richards as well, but with only 7 defenders, they had to have versatility, and Jones gives you that.

So does Richards. He can play at RB or CB.

But not midfield.

Offline usav

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
What a tired old squad, but there aren't a huge amount of alternatives who are fit to go.  I'd have had Sturridge, Bent(if fit) and even Crouchy in there  ahead of Carrol, Defoe and probably Welbeck.  Also Adam Johnson ahead of Downing and one of the Arsenal wide men, and I've have had Micah Richards in as well.  God help us if Robert Green has to play.  It just shows the paucity of the pool of English talent available.

If I remember rightly, Sheringham had done sod all for England prior to Euro 96.   Ferdinand I never rated, terrible first touch and Fowler has been wank for anyone except Liverpool for a few years in the mid-late 90's.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Can't believe Downing got in ahead of Lennon and Adam Johnson.

Offline NiiLamptey

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2012, 02:24:42 PM »
Really underwhelmed!

he wasnt going to take bent as he already has a risk in rooney, and as villa we dont really have any other first team players that deserve to make the england squad after this season...

The squad itself looks predictbale, media appeasing and not cutting like I thought it would...

Ones I am happy with:

Hart,

Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Jones

Barry & Parker

Rooney & Welbeck

rest I am not fussed on!

Online enigma

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
What a tired old squad, but there aren't a huge amount of alternatives who are fit to go.  I'd have had Sturridge, Bent(if fit) and even Crouchy in there  ahead of Carrol, Defoe and probably Welbeck.  Also Adam Johnson ahead of Downing and one of the Arsenal wide men, and I've have had Micah Richards in as well.  God help us if Robert Green has to play.  It just shows the paucity of the pool of English talent available.

If I remember rightly, Sheringham had done sod all for England prior to Euro 96.   Ferdinand I never rated, terrible first touch and Fowler has been wank for anyone except Liverpool for a few years in the mid-late 90's.

Les Ferdinand was great! One of the best in the air I've ever seen.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
Was Les a pilot then?

Offline KRS

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »
No Sturridge? Oh well...early exit it is then.

Would rather he went with a much younger squad to give them tournament experience for the World Cup. At least our expectations wont be high so cant be disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:36:53 PM by KRS »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »

Les Ferdinand was great! One of the best in the air I've ever seen.

Indeed, Ferdinand was great and I often wonder what might have been had he joined us instead of Newcastle.  Still one of the all time top 5 scorers in the Premier League.

Offline villan1975

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
How on earth he can justify picking 4 Liverpool players after they have had almost as an uninspiring season as we have is beyond me.
Also to pick Milner to play wide after the limited football he has had is ridiculous.Trully an awful,safe and poor team.

Offline usav

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
How on earth he can justify picking 4 Liverpool players after they have had almost as an uninspiring season as we have is beyond me.
Also to pick Milner to play wide after the limited football he has had is ridiculous.Trully an awful,safe and poor team.

Because the top teams are made up of mainly non-English people perhaps?

Offline NiiLamptey

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »

Agree!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal