collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst news as a Villa fan?  (Read 38653 times)

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Re: Worst news as a Villa fan?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:28 PM »
Platt being sold. Along with McGrath, my favourite players growing up and I was gutted we sold him.

Of course, with age I later learned he was a prick and shouldn't have worried myself.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 02:26:22 AM »
O'Neill leaving for me.

Funny, that would be in my "Biggest twat of all time" thread.

Worst news:  has to be Petrov.   Puts everything else into perspective.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:37:35 AM »
I was disappointed as anyone when we appointed McLeish, I also remember as a youngster being gutted when Yorkie left but now that I'm older I accept that footballers leave. So, I have to say Petrov's illness. There was no impotent rage, it was just an emotionally draining piece of news.

Online Ducksworthy

• GM : 20.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 03:18:35 AM »
(My very first post on H&V as I'm usually just a lurker who loves to read but I felt I had to contribute here)

For myself, of the younger generation, it has to be seeing Martin Laursen have to retire that was my worst Villa moment. It's very close run with Stan's news, of which I am genuinely gutted, but Laursen was my generation's McGrath (of which I can only imagine how good he was to watch) and to see him have to bow out was heart wrenching. To see him have to do so whilst being shouted down by those bar-codes was infuriating. A true villain to the core.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »
Yorke leaving was th first or me, then Laursen retiring followed by mon leaving. The worst news by far though is stan, as other posters have said that news puts everything into perspective

Offline scoobydoobydont

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 04:36:53 AM »
until recently, been  few, Little's retirement, cropley's broken legs, macca's boozy demise and the start of THAT fucking song... but nothing has gotten me as low as stan's illness since the passing of Birchy {RIP}.

non Villa related, been 'touched and upset' by the deaths of normal folks dying playing football.... first the young lad in staffordshire a few months ago really got to me... then the dad from devon last weekend... the beautiful game has become a bitch lately. :'(

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »
I have to agree the Petrov thing has been so shocking to hear and you feel for his family and friends and seeing the footage of him at the weekend was very emotional.

Also losing Yorke was heartbreaking and seeing him play in a shirt that was not claret was hard to take.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
For some reason I was at Villa Park not long after a seasons end (probably sorting out my next season ticket). I can only assume I had approached the ground from Witton island direction. I was inside the the North Stand reception area, it was very quiet so I was having a good look round and was able to get into one of the executive boxes just to have a look out at the stadium. We all knew a new stand was going up but as I looked to my right at the pitiful site of a half demolished beauty - the roof was down half way along with the gable and Villa crest just hanging down amongst twisted metal and piles of dusty old red bricks - I was still shocked and my heart sank. 

Offline willywombat

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
News that Brian Little had agreed to sign for small heath followed by Andy Gray going to Wolves for me. I regard the Petrov thing as separate to anything else due to it's seriousness on another level

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 08:06:19 AM »
News that Brian Little had agreed to sign for small heath followed by Andy Gray going to Wolves for me. I regard the Petrov thing as separate to anything else due to it's seriousness on another level

Well said. I dont think anyone further needs to reitterate that the current situation is a world away from a player leaving and every villa fan would put this above anything else. To exhume(?)  people from guilt and for the purpose of ths thread, worst news WITHOUT THE PETROV NEWS I would say Martin Laursen announcing his retirement. I felt he still had so much to offer - heading ability and positional awareness dont fade much with time and I felt if he could have kept him fit he would have been one of those players who could have done a job for us upto the age of 35-36 without standards really dropping...

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
I thought Cowans breaking his leg on a pre season tour was particularly heart breaking. I seem to remember footage of him calling for a stretcher whilst holding his leg. Did I imagine that?

This.
And Andy Gray being sold to Wolves.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 08:24:52 AM »
Two years after Andy Gray left we won the League and the following season ruled Europe.
Since Dwight Yorke left we have won nothing and never finished above 6th place.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 08:41:19 AM »
When we don't win.

Offline Rico

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »
Ron Saunders quiting! Absolute agony! And then going over to the Sty!

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 08:56:25 AM »
The Trinity Road stand one of the most historic in the world of football being dismantled.In my eyes a conservation order should have placed on it. I personally had another part of the beating heart of Aston Villa taken away from me by those in charge of the club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal