collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: N'Zog - Unhappy with role  (Read 16700 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: N'Zog - Unhappy with role
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2012, 07:05:05 AM »
Pravda strikes again.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »
McLeish latest comments - sportinglife.com

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish believes the best is still to come from winger Charles N'Zogbia but insists there are no problems with their relationship.

N'Zogbia took exception to comments made by McLeish after a game where he was quoted as saying the former Wigan player preferred cars to playing football.

But the misunderstanding has been resolved and N'Zogbia has recently shown some of his best form since his £9million summer move to Villa.

When asked about his relationship with the player, McLeish said: "Listen, I'm quite a laid-back manager. If the players are doing it for me on the pitch, then it's not a problem.

"They will get in the side, it's as simple as that.

"I was supposed to have said something about Charles spending money on fast cars. I've no reason to single Charles out for that and I told him that. I was talking about players in general.

"Charles realises that now. It was after the Bolton game when I was really pleased with the performance and I was doing a rallying cry to all the players to be winners.

"I said 'think about being a winner first before you reward yourself with a fast car'.

"I'm like Charles, definitely. If I had the money in my day that these guys are earning, I'd have had fast cars because I love fast cars."

In terms of N'Zogbia's performances, McLeish said: "I think there is more to come from him. I'm certain Charles would agree with that, his final cross, his final pass, his finishing.

"All these things he is capable of producing. I am sure his moment will come."

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »
I think I started a thread here during MON's time asking what's more important - winning football or entertaining football.  Of course the two are not mutually exclusive, but the poll came out in favour of winning, but not by a huge margin.

In reality though, I think the crowds would be there and the forums would be where the moaning took place!

The football under MON could've been better without a doubt but I'd say the main problem under him was that we didn't win many home games during a season.

Crowds were still really good despite that though.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish believes the best is still to come from winger Charles N'Zogbia but insists there are no problems with their relationship.

N'Zogbia took exception to comments made by McLeish after a game where he was quoted as saying the former Wigan player preferred cars to playing football.

But the misunderstanding has been resolved and N'Zogbia has recently shown some of his best form since his £9million summer move to Villa.

When asked about his relationship with the player, McLeish said: "Listen, I'm quite a laid-back manager. If the players are doing it for me on the pitch, then it's not a problem.

"I was supposed to have said something about Charles spending money on fast cars. I've no reason to single Charles out for that and I told him that. I was talking about players in general.

"Charles realises that now. It was after the Bolton game when I was really pleased with the performance and I was doing a rallying cry to all the players to be winners.

"I said 'think about being a winner first before you reward yourself with a fast car'.

"I'm like Charles, definitely. If I had the money in my day that these guys are earning, I'd have had fast cars because I love fast cars."

In terms of N'Zogbia's performances, McLeish said: "I think there is more to come from him. I'm certain Charles would agree with that, his final cross, his final pass, his finishing.

this just shows what a complete knob mcliesh is

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »
How?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »
Because whatever he says is wrong. It just is.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »

How exactly? I think he comes across quite well here and appears to have handled the situation quite well.

Offline luke25

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 11:41:20 PM »

Bollocks.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
Whatever anyone thinks of him as a manager and his tactics I think the guy handles himself with total dignity and shows respect to everyone. Maybe that's one of the things that winds up the people who despise him.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »

Which particular part of it are you referring to? Looks like the case for the prosecution is on the ropes.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
McLeish said: "...let's win football matches first and then enjoy the trappings of that. His (CN'Z) form in the last couple of seasons at the end of the campaigns has been generally very potent."

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
There's nothing wrong with what McLeish has said about Zoggy in that interview. If anything, he's been more patient with him than some managers would.

I sometimes wonder how he'd look playing just off the main striker.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2012, 04:59:41 AM »
There is nothing wrong with what McLeish says in that interview, and generally, he is good at saying the right things. The only missteps have been some post-match interviews where he has (seemingly) praised hapless performances. I can understand those who have an issue with McLeish because we haven't won more matches than Bolton and Blackburn this season, but not because of what he said in that interview.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2012, 05:21:51 AM »
There is nothing wrong with what McLeish says in that interview, and generally, he is good at saying the right things. The only missteps have been some post-match interviews where he has (seemingly) praised hapless performances. I can understand those who have an issue with McLeish because we haven't won more matches than Bolton and Blackburn this season, but not because of what he said in that interview.

I've noticed that AMc usually over sells our performances which is a classic fergie tactic.  For every fan that was at the match there are many more who are not.  These people often gain their info from the newspaper reports and most journalist will base their analysis on soundbites and quotes rather than any genuine analysis. 

Whilst I hate it when Fergie does it - and Amc - I can see or understand what they are trying to do, as saying the truth "we were shit" could easily become tomorrow's headline. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »
... I've noticed that AMc usually over sells our performances which is a classic fergie tactic.   ... whilst I hate it when Fergie does it - and Amc - I can see or understand what they are trying to do, as saying the truth "we were shit" could easily become tomorrow's headline. 
Whilst I can understand the "gild the lily" approach there are two dangers with the approach - (i) the players start to believe the BS and find it more difficult to raise their game when they need to; (ii) the fans stop believing any of the stuff that emits from the manager's mouth.

McL could have taken the line: "We know that we were sub-standard against Wigan and have worked hard to improve on that. The game at Blackburn showed in parts how well we can play. The game against Fulham showed that maintaining good levels of performance and never giving up reaps its rewards against teams in good form."

Honesty without disparagement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal