collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

VAR by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:14:31 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 07:13:14 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:09:39 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:06:40 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 06:50:36 PM]

Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 06:20:06 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Meanwood Villa

Re: VAR by Somniloquism

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 07:13:14 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:09:39 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:06:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:04:11 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by trinityoap
[Today at 07:00:10 PM]

Re: Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How many of you have lost the love like me?  (Read 25989 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

Re: How many of you have lost the love like me?
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
Though my favourite was the time Kenny Sansom got a bollocking for turning up in a yellow and brown striped shirt. He explained that his wife had just thrown him out, and it was all he could find. He was on the verge of tears, apparently

You don't want to fuck Kenny Sansom around though. Wasn't his dad an armed robber and suspected by the police of being involved in the Great Train Robbery?

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »
On the plus side, I've only watched MOTD half-a-dozen times this season. And needing to smash things to tiny pieces around 5pm most Saturdays means I've got quite a lot of firewood split.

I used to watch MOTD every week, read the match report of every game covered in The Times and watched loads of neutral games. I've knocked the first two on the head and only have neutral games on as background noise.

Still locked in that death struggle with the Villa mind.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
I can't get Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes 'The love I lost' out of my head.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »

Consider yourself lucky. I've had 'Rockabilly Rebel' going round in my head all bastard day.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »

Consider yourself lucky. I've had 'Rockabilly Rebel' going round in my head all bastard day.

AHHH those bastards.

Matchbox.

The lead singer looked about 60.

1980?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 06:21:04 PM »
Round about then I think.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »
On the plus side, I've only watched MOTD half-a-dozen times this season.

That's a positive i take, too. I doubt i've even seen it half a dozen times in the last two years.

I have also been avoiding sports sections of newspapers for a while (this season and last).

In the space of a week that's the Villa, MOTD, sports sections of papers and pubs you've told us you do less of than you used to.  Apart from telling us on here, what else do you do with all that spare time?

I still watch the games, I've just managed to extract the non Villa bit of football from my routine.

I used to watch that thing on Sky, Sunday Supplement, when we were doing well, and even then, it managed to annoy me deeply.

Don't worry, I don't tend to do anything constructive with the extra time.

Small children have gazumped the time I used to spend watching hours and hours of football.

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »
I'm just the opposite. I moved to London when I finished school in the late 80's and the year I was going to work down there to save enough money for college turned into just over 20 years including a bit overseas and I've only just come back. I used to go to all the games in London and Villa became a really important link back to the Midlands and home.  Now i sit bouncing my baby boy on my knee and I'm positively misty eyed at being able to take him to the Villa in a few years and the fact that I live only 30 minutes drive away from VP fills my soul with joy.

As much as I love the club it takes on a different feeling over time. For me it affects my mood less on a day to day basis the older I get but it grows in my heart every year. I love going to a game and enjoying the VP community - makes me feel like I'm home. Wish we'd win a fu**ing game now and again though  ;D

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 08:22:45 PM »
I don't think i'll ever fall out of love with the Villa (well i hope not anyway) but if we lose, it dose'nt ruin my weekend. Nowadays it's a case of chat about it over a pint after the game or on the way back from wherever we've played away, then move on to the next one. Maybe it's me getting older, but i prefer it that way.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
I don't fall out of love with them.   And with respect I do not think any of you do either.  You have lost your ability to get angry with them.   It will come back.

The worse they get and the more stupid the things done in the name of Aston Villa the more angry they make me.   That anger has to find a way out and it does by going to a game.   For a while I am calm until it starts to build up again.

I am addicted to Aston Villa and have been since that day in 1947 when I walked from Greet to Villa Park to see my first game.   My oldest brother who is 87 stormed out of Villa Park when we lost 3-0 at home to Port Vale in 1957.   He'll be back.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »
I don't fall out of love with them.   And with respect I do not think any of you do either.  You have lost your ability to get angry with them.   It will come back.

The worse they get and the more stupid the things done in the name of Aston Villa the more angry they make me.   That anger has to find a way out and it does by going to a game.   For a while I am calm until it starts to build up again.

I am addicted to Aston Villa and have been since that day in 1947 when I walked from Greet to Villa Park to see my first game.   My oldest brother who is 87 stormed out of Villa Park when we lost 3-0 at home to Port Vale in 1957.   He'll be back.

This.

I love this club. Born in Aston and always loved the Villa.
When we lose/play badly it upsets me for days and days and keeps me awake. Stupid I know but that's the way it is. At 57 years of age I'm still waiting to grow out of it!
Bugger!

Online Steve kirk

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »
Although this and last season has knocked the stuffing out of me the Villa is still a massive part of my life, I dont go down as much now but when I do the walk to the ground after parking the car is still exciting, stopping off for a fanzine, having a look at my late Dads paver, and the biggest buzz of all is walking up the steps and seeing the stadium come into view, what happens after that is not quite so exciting but that is something we will have to live with for a while yet, I love them as much now as when I first fell in love with them in the 1960s, my love for non Villa related football matters has dipped but nothing changes regarding our wonderul VILLA.   

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:20 AM »
I've tried everything.

Getting new hobbies, leaving the country, moving to the other side of the world, the lot.

Didn't work.

If anything, it made me even more obsessive.

Maybe I'm just like one of those gullible, servile wags. Putting up with all manner of disappointment and bad behaviour and coming back for more.  Only I don't get asked to design a fashion range for Asda. 

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 01:07:44 AM »
I love the Villa so much and still am glued to the footy news whenever I get the chance but like the love of your life, you go through ups and downs. The last two years and the foreseeable future are the equivilent to not talking to her for a few days, in the grand scheme of things. I still love her but i'm really pissed off with her at the moment.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 06:38:01 AM »
All the above.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal