collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert: I want to build a top team  (Read 37917 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Lambert: I want to build a top team
« Reply #225 on: May 01, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
Has Villa across the Mersey been on to celebrate yet or is he waiting until we lose our first game of next season to come on and have a whinge?

[smiling wink yellow man thing]

If I was shagging Halle Berry I'd be too busy to post on here as well!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
Has Villa across the Mersey been on to celebrate yet or is he waiting until we lose our first game of next season to come on and have a whinge?

It would be three minutes well spent.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2013, 12:08:42 AM »

It would be three minutes well spent.

I like an optimist.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2013, 08:40:56 AM »
I would be doing it twice to get my monies worth.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
Isn't this sort of how everyone builds a team while managing a video game team anyway?  You trade out all the old guard and replace them with the wonder-kids who will be world class in 4 or 5 years?  Of course in life, you don't have the benefit of hitting the reset button when an opposing team gives you an 0-6 beatdown.

In actual practice though, this is has still shown to be successful.  You've got teams like the USA Hockey team of 1980 and the Yugoslavian basketball team of 1990.  Throw the kids together.  Take your lumps early.  Let them gel together and gain some chemistry, and in a year or so you've got a team that's not only young and talented, but also know how to play together.

A better, and more focuseed example of this is Barcelona.  A lot of their current team is home grown (even if they had a spell away) and there's a lot in their mid-twenties who've grown up together.  Take most of their players and put them in another side and they wouldn't be as good.  That consistency and attitude is key to making a team greater than the sum of it's parts - and when you have parts of the quality of Benteke working in that your potential is massive.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »

Hi Ads

This is literally the first opportunity to sit at the keyboard since  Monday night - yes I wish the reason was Halle related - no such luck.
I was intending to miss the game as VCTM jnr was involved with local cricket - he said he would give it a miss and I thought likewise - not looking forward to the drive and not having a travelling companion.
I parked myself in front of the PC and fired up Heroes and Villains - all the pre match excitement and preamble got me thinking whether I should relent - Ms VCTM said - "Why don`t you  just go Dad" - in that impatient tone that all teenagers seem to use.
It was 4.30pm - should or or shouldn`t I?.I read of people travelling up from London and decided to hit the road.
Am I glad I did? - you bet I was.
Saw Percy pre match and acknowledged Mr Woodhall - I had a conversation with a friendly steward and settled down for a period of my usual moaning - grumbling. What a game ! Mind you at 4-1 I was still convinced we would **** it up !! - Oh me of little faith.!!
I cruelly called Jnr after each goal just to remind him of what he was missing.
I must confess I didn`t see that coming - at 6-1 the steward made a b-line for me and castigated me for my pessimism pre match - my feelings regarding the Villa has always been - " Expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when we occasionally come up with a result and performance like that".
Do I think Lambert is the dog`s doofers? - let`s wait until the 19th. 

Online tomd2103

« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
Just watching a re-run of the Footballers Football show on Sky now and Lee Clark was being very complimentary about Paul Lambert and Villa in general.  Not sure that will go down too well with the less enlightened followers of the team across the city!!  Neil Warnock was also on there and was also complimentary, but said that we needed one experienced CB to strengthen the defence.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »
Neil Warnock was also on there and was also complimentary, but said that we needed one experienced CB to strengthen the defence.

Tell us something we didn't already know Warnock!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal