collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Last abandoned Villa match?  (Read 9898 times)

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
Re: Last abandoned Villa match?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 10:21:10 PM »
I was at that Albion v Villa match in 65-66 when it was abandoned .I can remember it rained all day and the pitch was like a bog. I also remember the long walk back to the city centre with the rest of the villa fans and being drenched by the time we reached New street. A few weeks later i also remember a home game against West Ham,which i thought was also abandoned after around 30 minutes but my memory is not what it was so maybe it was postponed.Can anyone remember that?

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Last abandoned Villa match?
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 09:02:16 AM »

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/DidYouKnow01.htm

The Division 1 fixture between Sheffield Wednesday and Aston Villa played on Saturday November 26th 1898 was abandoned after 79 minutes due to bad light. Sheffield Wednesday were 3-1 up at the time. Uniquely, rather than let the score stand or order the whole match to be replayed, the League decreed that the two clubs should resume the match at Sheffield and play only the final 11 minutes. This they did nearly four months later on Monday March 13th 1899 when Sheffield Wednesday added one more goal to make the final score 4-1. By the time the match was resumed both clubs had changed their line-ups - Billy Garraty of Aston Villa, and Samuel Bosworth, Bob Ferrier, Ambrose Langley, Jack Pryce and Fred Richards (who scored the final goal) of Wednesday all played in only the final 11 minutes. Surely these players were the first substitutes used in a League match!

A Calcio Catania V AS Roma match this season was abandoned due to heavy rain recently and the last (21 I think) minutes were finished about 2 1/2 weeks later. It finished 1-1 by the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal