collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Last abandoned Villa match?  (Read 9897 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Last abandoned Villa match?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »
As far as I can tell, the last home game abandoned was 15/03/1947 versus Stoke City.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
The last game to be abandoned was against Middlesbrough away in season 1968/69.

I remember a game round about 64/65 away to the Baggies I stood at the front of the Birmingham Rd end and got absolutely
drenched. As I remember it we were 2-0 up (both from Phil Woosnam) when the ref called it off.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
The last game to be abandoned was against Middlesbrough away in season 1968/69.

I remember a game round about 64/65 away to the Baggies I stood at the front of the Birmingham Rd end and got absolutely
drenched. As I remember it we were 2-0 up (both from Phil Woosnam) when the ref called it off.

18/12/1965.......

Game was re-arranged and played 11/2/66, 2-2 draw. Cheating baggie bastards.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
If you've got the season right we lost the re-staged game three-one. Jammy Olbiyun swines.

EDIT: seen other post. It was 65-66 then in which case we drew the eventual game 2-2.

EXTRA EDIT: just looked at the post properly and realised you've already put the scoreline on. Must pay attention.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:45:48 PM by cdvillafan »

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
Man City in the cup last season.  Abandoned by Houllier.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 06:34:14 PM »
I know it wasn't abandoned but wasn't there a game against Racist FC that was called off so late that the coaches with their fans on were arriving at VP when it was announced? About 10 years ago?

Christmas 1995; it was abandoned so late that we'd started selling.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »
I know it wasn't abandoned but wasn't there a game against Racist FC that was called off so late that the coaches with their fans on were arriving at VP when it was announced? About 10 years ago?

Wasn't that an away match at Manure - I had just parked up at an NCP on Matt Busby Way when I was informed.

I was pissed off but not as pissed off at people behind me who had travelled to see them from Yeovil.  Never was I so tempted to laugh in someone's face.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:48:16 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »

Wasn't that an away match at Manure - I had just parked up at an NCP on Matt Busby Way when I was informed.

I was pissed off but not as pissed off at people behind me who had travelled to see them from Yeovil.  Never was I so tempted to laugh in someone's face.

That was 1991. The late home one was definitely 1995. We also had the next Saturday called off then played Gravesend & Northfleet away at Villa Park the following week.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »
yes I remember now, 20 years ago.  Frightening.  I had travelled up in a B Reg Orion.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »

That was 1991. The late home one was definitely 1995. We also had the next Saturday called off then played Gravesend & Northfleet away at Villa Park the following week.

We went to Newton Heath in fancy dress in '91 and only found out when we were on the M56. No mobile phones in those days so we flagged down the other car and I ran along the hard shoulder to tell the lads. Dressed as a nun.

It was only later that we discovered that the game had been called off while we were in the fancy dress shop in Hall Green.

Offline geeeenius1971

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
did we have a match against sheff utd abandoned because of a frozen pitch,it may have been a friendly tho.im sure peter withe got carried off when he fell over and hurt his back.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »

We went to Newton Heath in fancy dress in '91 and only found out when we were on the M56. No mobile phones in those days so we flagged down the other car and I ran along the hard shoulder to tell the lads. Dressed as a nun.

It was only later that we discovered that the game had been called off while we were in the fancy dress shop in Hall Green.
Also, wasn't it 1989 when we got all the way to Loftus Road only to find the match was off? That's what you get for playing music in the car instead of listening to the radio. At least we weren't dressed as nuns on that occasion.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »

Also, wasn't it 1989 when we got all the way to Loftus Road only to find the match was off? That's what you get for playing music in the car instead of listening to the radio. At least we weren't dressed as nuns on that occasion.

It was. We found our halfway down the M1 with a passing car holding an A4 sheet with 'Game Off'.

The benefits of having the scarfs out the windows.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »
Even better being on a coach that decided to carry on to covent garden. the return was somewhat messy  :D

Offline Broughty-Villian

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:23 PM »
liverpool boxing day...told ellis (in car park) i had travelled down from scotland...got invited in the bar in north stand with some old villians...my old man loved it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal