collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If spending hadn't been cut  (Read 5920 times)

Offline Irish villain

Re: If spending hadn't been cut
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
Newcastle are who we should be looking to replicate. It's possible to be challenging for a Champions League place without spending shedloads of money.

That day in 2009 when we relegated them I doubt many of us thought we'd ever be thinking that little over two years later.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »
Newcastle are who we should be looking to replicate. It's possible to be challenging for a Champions League place without spending shedloads of money.

That day in 2009 when we relegated them I doubt many of us thought we'd ever be thinking that little over two years later.

They've had one good half season.  Lets wait a little, longer before we completely convert to the gospel of the Tyne.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
Especially if someone would have said Pardew and Mike Ashley would be running the show...

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »

They've had one good half season.  Lets wait a little, longer before we completely convert to the gospel of the Tyne.
I tend to agree with this, they have some players in their side who are in good form, but aren't necessarily top players, I'm thinking of Ryan Taylor, Mike Williamson and Danny Guthrie.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »

Agree, what's our scouting like ?

It appears to be either a) non existent or b) unable to spot those bargains we need.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 01:53:44 PM »
I tend to agree with this, they have some players in their side who are in good form, but aren't necessarily top players, I'm thinking of Ryan Taylor, Mike Williamson and Danny Guthrie.
You're right that it might be too early to judge it (although were are now well into the season) but the fact is that Pardew has welded together a useful operating unit of players from a squad that wants to play for him. He has removed the potential troublemakers (Carroll, Barton) and he has bought well and without fanfare. Guthrie, Taylor, Ben Arfa et al all play a useful part in affairs when Tiote and Cabaye are not available.

Signing Ba's Senagalese strike partner was clever work too.

Hats off - so far, Pardew has defied all my prejudice about him. And shown others the way.

PS - reading that through, the first paragraph describes what GHou was apparently going to do for us over last summer ...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:55:53 PM by EffDee »

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
Pardew's done well. Proved a lot of people wrong.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »
Pardew's done well. Proved a lot of people wrong.

He's been allowed to spend the money he got for Carroll.  McLeish hasn't had that sort of money.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
Last summer Pardew spent about the same in total as McLeish spent on N'Zogbia alone.

If you then add in the money he's spent on Cisse, it works out that they have spent about the same since McLeish took over.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal