collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Villan82
[Today at 09:23:56 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:20:35 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:14:01 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Huge Summer....  (Read 45183 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Huge Summer....
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »
See I'm not convinced we've had two different managers this season and last and the same defensive frailty has been apparent through both, so I'd lay a lot of that blame at the door of those players. Hence I think we need a big change in personel throughout the club.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
As I see it, we have a top goal scorer (Bent), plus another very useful striker (Gabby) and a top goal keeper in Given.  All top 6 players, IMO.  As is Ireland, when his head is right, as it is right now.

The emerging youth players coming through I'm confident of being at least mid-table quality are Albrighton, Clark, Herd, Gardner and Bannan.

Then there's players who we should be getting more out of, which is basically N'Zogbia and the defence.

Lastly the good, but aging, Petrov, who needs replacing, although should be kept and experienced back up.

So there's quite a bit to work with there.  And you'd hope a shake up of say 2 new players at the back may revitalise some of the existing defenders.

4 players of sufficient quality and in the right positions could really improve our team.       

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »
I agree with a lot of posters, there needs to be an overhaul from top to bottom, starting with the manger but you know it wont happen.

It will be Mcliesh on a limited transfer budget a few in a few out,  lack of ambition and lower attendancies.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
There should be a revamp no question, because some of the squad are getting older and not being outstanding players need to move over.

As for the present squad, I see it like this, under MON ( this isn't a MON post) the only difference was Young, Downing and Friedal, MON got us to consistent top half finishers, European qualification, Cup finals and Semi Finals, we have basically replaced Young and Downing with N'Zogbia, Bent, Ireland, Given, Hutton, and the younger players that where coming through under MON and Houllier are that much further on in there career's, like Clark and Albrighton.( some may say the squad has actually improved)

Got to say it, I actually can't see that much difference in terms of available talent that McLiesh has to work with, for me what it comes down to is using what you've got to work with, the right way, and its not happening.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2012, 07:46:03 PM »
Carew was a massive player for us, we haven't replaced him.

Offline Compass

« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2012, 08:34:13 PM »
Carew was a massive let down in 2010-2011. Very unprofessional. And he's not exactly on fire at West Ham in the Championship. Don't miss him.

I do miss Milner though. Now that's a massive player (for us) who we haven't replaced. Not only was he a threat, but he even made us more defensive. A workhorse pro.

Offline littlevillain

« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »
To be fair I'm sure there's a lot of clubs who would love to have the talented crop of youngsters that we have at their disposal.
For me it's all going to be about getting the right balance and getting the most out of the players we have now. Unfortunately even when this manager gets the team right there seems to be a lack of motivation at times? saying that there are a few times this season that we have shown what a forceful,attractive team we can be, which is even more frustrating.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
Carew was a massive let down in 2010-2011. Very unprofessional. And he's not exactly on fire at West Ham in the Championship. Don't miss him.

I do miss Milner though. Now that's a massive player (for us) who we haven't replaced. Not only was he a threat, but he even made us more defensive. A workhorse pro.

Yep.  And we only really got the best out of him in CM for one season.  It's been said many times before but had he stayed with us I think he'd be one of the first names on the England team sheet by now, whereas the best he can hope for is being part of the squad.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »
To be fair I'm sure there's a lot of clubs who would love to have the talented crop of youngsters that we have at their disposal.
For me it's all going to be about getting the right balance and getting the most out of the players we have now. Unfortunately even when this manager gets the team right there seems to be a lack of motivation at times? saying that there are a few times this season that we have shown what a forceful,attractive team we can be, which is even more frustrating.

With some imagination (and luck) Managing villa could be quite easy.  The bulk of the squad will be filled with players from the youth set up.  As the squad is so young there should also be the opportunity to get some older pro's to provide guidance (van Bommel type players who have always been leaders but are not quite at the top level anymore).  Both of these types of players are cheap which should allow for a few big signing too.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
Carew was a massive player for us, we haven't replaced him.

He was good at defending the first post at corners.

To me the defence needs a massive overhaul and as long as we have an athletic back 4 that can actually defend corners next season I'll be happy enough.

I'm happy enough with the strikers, well Gabby and Bent and I think the midfield could be good if we just find the right mix and stick with it.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2012, 09:03:50 PM »
I think it's almost comical how we are waiting for this financial cycle to close so we can begin to free up some wage space and buy some new names.. but we're one of the least attractive teams to join in the league right now. Can't see McLeish getting a big name. We'll just end up with more cant hack its.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
I think Villa's closed season will be like the typical British summer, a damp squib. I foresee more leaving than arriving, and those that do will hardly be world beaters. We will probably have one 'major' signing of 6-10 million (the manager has intimated there will be one of these). However, considering the managers time at dablues consisted of signing Villa's cast offs, it will be hard to see who he would go in for. Perhaps an idea will be to scour the squads of the teams to be relegated to see who we will be targeting.

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2012, 09:40:15 PM »
The player we miss most in my opinion in Barry. Bosses the midfield, calm on the ball, did the simple things well and laid on goal after goal. Until we replace him we have to accept that we won't go foreward.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »
The player we miss most in my opinion in Barry. Bosses the midfield, calm on the ball, did the simple things well and laid on goal after goal. Until we replace him we have to accept that we won't go foreward.

Disagree.

I think the player we miss the most is Milner, by a country mile. Looking back now, you get a sense of just how much of what we did went through him.

I liked Barry, but he had a tendency to go missing for months on end.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
Barry was great but Milner was our heart and soul - everything we did went through him and we've never recovered from losing him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal