collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 03:58:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 03:57:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 03:56:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 03:56:04 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 03:56:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 03:55:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard E
[Today at 03:55:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:53:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Life after Keane  (Read 37219 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Life after Keane
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »
He must be one of the best loan signings we've ever made.

Carbone?

Definitely my favourite.

If I remember rightly Carbone wasn't technically a loan. His contract at Sheffield Wed ran out at the end of that season and we bought out his contract and held his registration.
We got a great season out of him, mind.

Offline VillaSpen

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 08:10:45 AM »

Carbone?

Definitely my favourite.

If I remember rightly Carbone wasn't technically a loan. His contract at Sheffield Wed ran out at the end of that season and we bought out his contract and held his registration.

You're right, S_H. Not a loan. But I loved his time at the club. Another player that moved between the lines of the opposition defence and midfield. Plus his hat-trick against Leeds was tremendous.

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised for this to be a regular thing and to see him back here next spring again except this time for longer, as soon as the transfer window opens (á la Donovan at Everton and Beckham at Milan).

Trouble is a year is a long time for a 31 year old striker.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »
The one thing that impresses me about Keane is that he isn't playing just to keep fit and stay injury free you can see that he really wants to play well and contribute. Must admit that while i was so so about him coming for such a short period he really has shown what a bit of quality can do.Can he play left back?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »
For me, the most important thing about the loan is what our players learn from him. He really has been a catalyst to the way our midfield think and play. His influence seems to have rubbed off on several players, Petrov being the best example.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 09:04:21 AM »
What it demonstrates to me is the importance of desire.

Keane is not playing for money, he is playing for fitnesss for the Euros, for pride and personal achievement.

Petrov always has played for the pay-cheque, Dunne and Nzogbia similarly. Shay Given is the senior player who is the obvious exception in a positive sense.

Offline Merv

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 09:18:28 AM »
Petrov has always played for the pay cheque? How have you reached the conclusion that a player of ours for nearly six years - many of them as captain - has shown less commitment than a guy who's played four games for us (impressive though he's been)?

I wouldn't say Dunne - a near ever present since signing for us - and N'Zogbia can particularly be accused of not putting in the effort, but that verdict on Petrov staggers me.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2012, 09:29:50 AM »
For me, the most important thing about the loan is what our players learn from him. He really has been a catalyst to the way our midfield think and play. His influence seems to have rubbed off on several players, Petrov being the best example.

You could see this on Sunday. At times he had the ball and looked around for a midfielder to pass to. There were generally none near enough for him to play an intelligent pass to. You could sense his frustration. Several times a "what the f***" look went across his face.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »
He is a very good footballer, one we should have signed about 10 years ago.

The danger is that we will become reliant on him only to have to  wave goodbye to soon.

Re. Petrov, he's not played for the pay cheque, he's always looked a very dedicated professional to me.

The answer to the question is - there is life after Keane, it's in the shape of Albrighton who must start to learn how to read a game better and to not be a one trick pony.

Life after Keane means we can stay in the Premier League, he is showing the ability to look, pass, move, shoot and hold the ball better than any player we have on a permanent contract.

Offline wookster

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »
With the transfer window closed, do we have the 'option' to extend the loan longer?

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »

Carbone?

Definitely my favourite.

You're right, S_H. Not a loan. But I loved his time at the club. Another player that moved between the lines of the opposition defence and midfield. Plus his hat-trick against Leeds was tremendous.
Damn right, what a day that was. VP was rocking, wasn't it like the recent Arsenal tie with us being 0-2 down? I was there but the memory aint what it was.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2012, 10:50:11 AM »

Carbone?

Definitely my favourite.

Damn right, what a day that was. VP was rocking, wasn't it like the recent Arsenal tie with us being 0-2 down? I was there but the memory aint what it was.

I think you're referring to the Collymore inspired comeback, with a broken Santa on the roof!

Just re read the original post and the reference was to Leeds..........sorryO
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:00:41 AM by Neil Hawkes »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
With the transfer window closed, do we have the 'option' to extend the loan longer?

He's only here until the MLS season starts so the transfer window is largely irrelevant.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
Petrov always has played for the pay-cheque
Utterly wrong, as ever.

Offline DeeBoy1

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »

Petrov always has played for the pay-cheque.

You have GOT to be kidding me??

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal