collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sammy Morgan v Bob Wilson.  (Read 14821 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Sammy Morgan v Bob Wilson.
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
OVER the years, many FA Cup ties have been swayed by a crowd getting involved and roaring their team to victory – cranking up the noise to drive the players on to find that vital inspiration.
Such support is often described by players and managers as “the extra man.” An unseen force that lifts the 11 blokes on the pitch to new levels.
This notional additional team-member, comprising thousands of voices, affects the whole team – a collective force which galvanises collectively. But its input can also be specific. To devastating effect. Especially when a sense of grievance is thrown into the mix.
That’s what happened when Aston Villa met Arsenal in the FA Cup in 1974. Gunners’ goalkeeper Bob Wilson made an enemy of Villa’s fans in the first game at Highbury and when the replay arrived at Villa Park, four days later, they were waiting for him.
Never mind the extra man, Wilson was effectively “extra man-marked.” And that was a huge factor in Villa, 11th in Division Two, knocking the First Division side out of the cup which they had recently lifted.
 After a 1-1 draw at Highbury, Villa won the replay 2-0 in front of a crowd of 47,821, including very few from north London.
“The mountain of humanity known as the Holte End must be included in the scoreline,” reported the Mail. “There are times when a crowd can be very much part of a performance. This was one of them.”
The seeds of that momentous Villa Park night were sown in the 63rd minute of the first match at Highbury.
Vic Crowe’s men had travelled down to the capital in poor form, adrift of the Second Division promotion race after 11 league games without a win. In none of those games had they scored more than one goal.
Crowe badly needed new players but the board insisted he had to sell to buy, a strategy which had just begun with agreement to sell Trevor Hockey, a £40,000 signing from Norwich six months earlier, to Rotherham for just £25,000.
Villa’s only win in two months had been over little Chester in the cup third round, so their supporters travelled south more in hope than expectation.
But right from kick-off their expectations rose as their team put in a storming start which evoked memories of the memorable League Cup semi-final win over Manchester United three years earlier.
“For the armada of Villa supporters enjoying a day out in the soccer sun,” the Mail said, “the opening 11 minutes was akin to the display against Manchester United and culminated in Sammy Morgan’s goal when he nodded Ian Hamilton’s cross past Wilson.”
Villa still deservedly led 18 minutes into the second half when Morgan and Wilson were involved in the powder-keg moment. The striker chased the ball into the box and Wilson collected it then, somewhat belatedly, went down as if pole-axed.
“Wilson has the Leeds United habit of wanting to help referee the game,” observed the Mail, “and this was a factor in Morgan’s dismissal.
http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/01/26/fa-cup-flashback-aston-villa-beat-arsenal-in-1974-titanic-tussle-97319-30204275/

"SIX FOOT TWO, EYES ARE BLUE, SAMMY MORGANS'S AFTER YOU !"

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Re: Sammy Morgan v Bob Wilson.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »
nice one Andy !

Offline philthebar

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
Sammy made Bob Wilson look a complete idiot. From that moment on I never rated or liked Wilson. oh such memories

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Sammy was on fire that season, sadly not again. Great memories and wilson was truly hammered by the Holte End in the replay.
Omen perhaps for this weekend ?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »
Is that Ray Kennedy in the top picture ( in the actual article that the link goes to) ?

He still alive? didn't he have parkinson's disease otr something?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
I've met Bob Wilson on a few occasions in the last few years, he's a bloody good bloke (Isn't he Dave?), has great stories and loves talking football.

All Villa fans of a certain era want to talk to him about is that cup match.  He would love to meet up with Sammy Morgan again if it was possible.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
Interesting fact about this match

Villa won the toss and , against all custom, elected to kick towards the Holte first just so that the Holte crowd could have a go at Wilson and get him rattled.

Offline philthebar

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
I've met Bob Wilson on a few occasions in the last few years, he's a bloody good bloke (Isn't he Dave?), has great stories and loves talking football.

All Villa fans of a certain era want to talk to him about is that cup match.  He would love to meet up with Sammy Morgan again if it was possible.

Fair play to him then.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »
I was at that match and will never forgive Bob Wilson for his blatant over acting in that incident, I believe the referee that day was the self-serving ego maniac Clive Thomas (younger posters ask your Dads/Grandads) IIRC the incident was at the clock end at Highbury where all the Villa faithful were gathered and Thomas gave that decision from somewhere between the half way line and the goal line, disgraceful.  In the subsequent replay I'm convinced that Bob Wilson was terrified of both the Holte and Sammy Morgan.

Offline nigel

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »
Might be getting my games mixed up here, but, didn't Sam put Wilson in the back of the net early in the replay?
Wilson went to pieces and I think we scored our first not long after.

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »
My memory of the day, travelling down from Villa Park by coach,cannot remember
if there was some sort of transport strike that day. The collision between Sammy
and Bob Wilson, once Bob realised he had possesion whlst still on the floor looked up
just raising his head to see if any one was looking and then proceeding to roll around in pain really putting it on, Sammy was booked by guess who? only Clive the book Thomas.  The return leg when Clive came out he was subjected to a torrant of noise and abuse to which he never had before, also wilson was given the full treatment finally great to beat them. In thse days, say from Docherty to Crow the Villa faithfull always seemed to crank the noise up a few decibels especially when we went behind, "Fond memories"

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Might be getting my games mixed up here, but, didn't Sam put Wilson in the back of the net early in the replay?
Wilson went to pieces and I think we scored our first not long after.

yes and yes.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
I was at that game.  No apologies for again giving it over to Peter Morris' wonderful history of the Villa:

"There was never any doubt about the outcome of the Villa park replay - despite the prevailing power crisis.  A fervid crowd of 47,821, hating every move Arsenal made, went into ecstasies as Morgan headed Villa ahead and exploded into a delirium of excitement when Evans, finding his shooting form at last, made it 2-0 in the second half."

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
This was my first night game that I went to with my Dad and Grandad. I was 7, I still reckon he should have taken me against Santos a couple of years earlier though...I can still remember him leaving for that game and telling me it would be too busy.

An excuse which I roll out for my lads when I fancy a beer or two at night games myself, the circle of life eh.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »
This was my first night game that I went to with my Dad and Grandad. I was 7, I still reckon he should have taken me against Santos a couple of years earlier though...I can still remember him leaving for that game and telling me it would be too busy.

An excuse which I roll out for my lads when I fancy a beer or two at night games myself, the circle of life eh.

You genuinely tell them it will be "too busy" these days?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal