collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:14:54 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:11:10 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:09:54 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 11:49:23 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:19:21 AM]

Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:14:54 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:11:10 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:09:54 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by London Villan
[Today at 12:07:17 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:59:17 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 11:57:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 60045 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »
The 8 minutes of stoppage time summed up why we draw so many games. Numerous times a player will be clear through on goal the right pass is on but the player with the ball either whips in a hopeless cross or keeps running with the ball and wastes the chance.  Was no one else screaming 'PASS or getting real frantic like me then?

Weimann was guilty as charged on two occasions in injury time.

First one he's running down the left and Bent is unmarked in the centre of the box waiting to tap the ball in, instead Wiemann crosses into the 6 yard box and into Hennessey's hands.

The second was another break and he was running across the penalty area and the ball was coming nicely onto Bannan's left foot. Instead off balance Wiemann hopelessly skied it into the South Bank.

I know now people are writing off the Fonz he's our next great young white striking hope but I think he's a bit away from prem football so I'd loan him out again for the rest of the season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »
Back to our home from. Do you think the tense atmosphere, regarding McLeish and the low attendances, has affected the players? As gervilla has said, they just seem to freeze at Villa Park and look under constant pressure. They play with more confidence and flair away from home.

Our home form has been poor for years, even when we were finishing 6th under MON, the most home games we ever won in a prem season was 10 out of 19 so quite a bit below the likes of Spurs.

Just seems to be a villa problem like conceding last minute goals, whoever the manager and players are.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »
Back to our home from. Do you think the tense atmosphere, regarding McLeish and the low attendances, has affected the players? As gervilla has said, they just seem to freeze at Villa Park and look under constant pressure. They play with more confidence and flair away from home.

Our home form has been poor for years, even when we were finishing 6th under MON, the most home games we ever won in a prem season was 10 out of 19 so quite a bit below the likes of Spurs.

Just seems to be a villa problem like conceding last minute goals, whoever the manager and players are.

combination of factors i reckon, partly tactical in that we played better on the break, partly that brummies like nothing more than a good whine!

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »

combination of factors i reckon, partly tactical in that we played better on the break, partly that brummies like nothing more than a good whine!

I know it's been a problem for a few seasons, but it seems a much bigger one now. We are dropping far too many points at home. Those extra few points are crucial and we should be looking for better from our home games. We need Villa Park to be a fortress that other teams fear coming to. We need to show more initiative at home games, play with a bit more tempo and really get the fans on form. As we saw last year, a bad season can be redeemed with a few surprise results. Right now, we need that to come from our home form.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
Heel injury, I believe.
Easily cured with a choke chain!

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2012, 04:55:03 PM »
I know it's been a problem for a few seasons, but it seems a much bigger one now. We are dropping far too many points at home. Those extra few points are crucial and we should be looking for better from our home games. We need Villa Park to be a fortress that other teams fear coming to. We need to show more initiative at home games, play with a bit more tempo and really get the fans on form. As we saw last year, a bad season can be redeemed with a few surprise results. Right now, we need that to come from our home form.
[/quote]

"Play with a bit more tempo" are the relevant words here IMO.  It is something that bugs me, we get the ball, play it out or maybe Gabby or Albrighton run it out, into the opposition half then we stop, put our foot on the ball and play it backwards.  Thus giving the opposition time to regroup.  We rarely seem to keep moving it forward into the danger zone at pace, one touch and movement off the ball etc.  That is the way to pull the opposition out of position and create chances, not by playing it backwards.  How many times have we seen us get over the halfway line then stop and eventually play it back to the keeper?

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »
Heel injury, I believe.
Easily cured with a choke chain!
:)  made me smile .................. trouble is I can`t get Barbara Woodhouse`s voice out of my head now.. WALKIES !!!

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2012, 06:34:28 PM »
There was an occasion in the second half where Bent was calling for the ball to come forward. He must be getting happier in his game.

It has been mentioned about players 'freezing' at Villa Park. We did that for a long while in the first half yesterday but got over it, particularly due to the inspired substitution at half time.

There is a great future ahead if we lift the clouds of doom, both players and supporters. We have seen what a great atmosphere can be generated at home in the Arsenal game, even without a full house. Someone very soon is going to be stuffed out of sight by us at Villa Park. I look forward to the explosion of relief.

I can't take all the good vibes. Think I will pop onto the club's Facebook site to be brought down to earth by the biggest bunch of idiots ever encountered. How the club have not shut it down, I will never know.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »

I can't take all the good vibes. Think I will pop onto the club's Facebook site to be brought down to earth by the biggest bunch of idiots ever encountered. How the club have not shut it down, I will never know.

Or just go through the Swansea post match thread.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »
That must be a contributory factor but it's probably as much to do with not having the players to break down teams who are well organised.  We're better on the break and home teams are obliged to come out and attack.   We've been a counter-attacking team since early MON days.
Agree with all of that. The swansea result is a classic example of the type of game we've experienced at VP for a number of years. Wigan in their early years in the division would be an example.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »
Bbc wm were wetting their knickers at half time over wolves. when keane  equalised you could hear the pain in the commentators voice. tossers

Not being from the area,could someone explain why the local radio are grim towards us?

I'm listening to the phone-in on iplayer and you wouldn't know we were a local team. It's all about Wolves.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
People have likened Gardner to Gerrard. I can't really see that. I don't think he looks as explosive or pacey nor capable of such outrageous passing and shooting

He looks a lot more like Lampard to me. Composed on the ball, full of energy, gets into the right positions in the box and normally a good finish at the end of it.

That might have been me after one of the Euro Youth Cup games, if you get the chance take a look at him in his own age group, its like watching an on form Gerrard against a lower league team, he's stronger, faster and sharper and has a great range of passing and shooting.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal