collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Midseason Review  (Read 10479 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Midseason Review
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »
C-

Offline James

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
We've won only five from twenty, beating only Blackburn, Wigan and Norwich at home, Bolton and Chelsea away (spot the freak result in that lot!).

We've drawn eight from twenty, largely those teams we'd be expecting to be around about us in terms of league position and would normally expect to, and usually do, beat.

We've lost seven from twenty, including some abject performances home and away where we didn't even turn up!

I would argue that we've only had one really good result in twenty, plus four wins that should be 'routine'.

It's not a case of 'could do better' because that statement merely papers over the cracks of what is season long relegation form!

The saddest part of all the above is that most of us expected no better from a manager with proven relegation 'credentials' and a board with no ambition or balls!

Thankfully there are at least five teams beneath us who thus far have been worse than we have, and who have between them provided us with almost half of our 23 points. We have an identical record so far to Fulham, who have played about 15 games more than us in Europe!

Something needs to change, something needs to be pulled from a hat. Sadly I don't believe that McLeish has the abilty OR that the board has the desire.

I just hope that those five teams continue to be poorer than us, because I can't see us getting any better!  :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:03:45 PM by James »

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »
We've won only five from twenty, beating only Blackburn, Wigan and Norwich at home, Bolton and Chelsea away (spot the freak result in that lot!).

Yes, we never beat Wigan at home.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
MarkM:

Some clever dick worked out for Talksport that because of the way the Premiership is, the safety mark of about 41points normally, a team will need something like 43/44 pts this time.

That puts us right in the mix doesn't it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:18 PM »
So at least 3 of the bottom 5 are going to dramatically increase their points to game ratio in the next 18 games? Can't see it myself, all 3 relegated clubs will be sub 40 points in my opinion.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 07:56:41 PM »
The one worry I have is that the 2nd half of the season looks harder than the 1st.  We also have to play the bottom teams away from home and these will be crucial matches that we must get points from.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »
The one worry I have is that the 2nd half of the season looks harder than the 1st.  We also have to play the bottom teams away from home and these will be crucial matches that we must get points from.

Agree, and Villa often stumble in the 2nd ( at least that's how it feels) and pick up towards the end, I really wouldn't want to chance AM with a last minute rescue.

Offline James

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »

Yes, we never beat Wigan at home.

Good for you! If the highlight of the year is beating Wigan at home, and if that's the only thing about my post that you could disagree with, that says it all really! Should we not be aspiring to more than that?

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »

Agree, and Villa often stumble in the 2nd ( at least that's how it feels) and pick up towards the end, I really wouldn't want to chance AM with a last minute rescue.

He won't be able to turn it round, he's proven that twice already.

Offline James

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »

He won't be able to turn it round, he's proven that twice already.

Exaccerly!

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
just we could pass to each other, like other teams do

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
A bit of perspective If that lot had of got beaten by us in the LC QF they might have stayed up and we might have gone down.
The 3 games proceeding the Swansea game looked like he had worked out how to get the best out of the resources we have and then Warnock gives the game away.

Then the idiot thinks its a good idea to take on Robbie Keane.

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:42 PM »
emabarrasing. Losing at home to Albion and Swansea - nuff said. Delighted with a 0-0 draw against Stoke? Yeah right.

the Chelsea win - remeniscent of the 2-0 against Inter in 1990, which was the only highlight of a similarly abysmal season.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
The one worry I have is that the 2nd half of the season looks harder than the 1st. 

How is the 2nd half of the season going to be more difficult??  Are Barcelona being drafted in to replace Bolton?  Bayern Munich for Blackburn??

This was never going to be an easy year.  5 full or part time managers in a year, the loss of our starting wide men, disquiet among the fans, belt tightening by the money man...
It's not been pretty for the most part, I think I've probably enjoyed watching 3 games this season.
The last few games we seem to have started to find some shape, the return of Albrighton and the emergence of Ireland from his self imposed exile up his arsehole have given us an extra edge.   
We need to find a way of getting Gabby and Bent to function as a forward line who can work with those 2 and N'zogbia, the attacking frustration of the season for me.

I live in hope.  As usual.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »
emabarrasing. Losing at home to Albion and Swansea - nuff said. Delighted with a 0-0 draw against Stoke? Yeah right.

the Chelsea win - remeniscent of the 2-0 against Inter in 1990, which was the only highlight of a similarly abysmal season.I think every one saw that the performances from the Arsenal game onwards was a huge improvement on what had gone on before, then we fuck up at home to Swansea and want robbie Keane

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal