collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

VAR by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:52:54 PM]

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 02:52:02 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 02:51:28 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:45:11 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:32:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:52:54 PM]

Re: VAR by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:52:34 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 02:52:02 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 02:51:28 PM]

Re: Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Re: VAR by Nev
[Today at 02:49:24 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:45:11 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 02:43:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Formation Dilemma  (Read 14241 times)

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
Re: Formation Dilemma
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »
Granted it was Wigan, but we've seemed to stumble upon something that works. I'm interested to see how we come out against citeh.

What was the formation Villadelph?
At times, it looked like a hybrid version of "Wembley", "Spud" and "What's the time Dr Wolf?". Still, we won so I think Alex should pursue this strategy. I do think he might want to bring in a bit of Kiss-chase" if we start scoring more than one goal per game on a regular basis.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »
I can't see us playing the same diamond v citeh. We need more protection against city's nimble attacking midfielders, and I'd be worried their full backs would have too much space.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
Diamonds aren't forever.

Tactical flexibility is the order of the day. Whatever criticisms may be levelled at McLeish he does at least try and mix it up a bit.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 08:48:48 AM »
Diamonds aren't forever.

Tactical flexibility is the order of the day. Whatever criticisms may be levelled at McLeish he does at least try and mix it up a bit.
agreed. You'd think after the rigidity of the Mon era people would be jumping for joy at someone trying a few different ways of playing!

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
well it looks like it's 451 against Citeh with EH being the defending striker

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »
I personally dont see any value in setting up too defensively against Man City. If we sit back they'll murder us.
May as well go for it I say. Not recklessly but purposefully.

Offline eastie

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »
I would keep the same team at city, as maz says no point sitting back and hoping for a draw , might be tempted to swap clark for delph but otherwise id like to see the same team and formation as against wigan, gabby is on form and ireland will be up for the game so we might as well have a go at them-i expect nothing either way to be honest but they are too good to just sit back and try and defend against.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »
I'd like to see Bannan more central.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 11:13:37 AM »
I think formation should be defined by the players.  If you're starting 11 has 5 midfielders then it's 4-5-1, but should you have two strikers that can't play anywhere else, then 4-4-2 it is.  We saw a midfield diamond on Saturday not because AM wanted to try it, or at least not mainly, but because the players in form that he wanted to pick suited that formation best.

So, if you want to look for our best formation, look at our best 11.  The keeper and flat back 4 pretty much pick themselves, as do Bent and Gabby, wheteher the latter be wide or up top.  I also think Bannan's form makes him an automatic choice right now.  And lastly Petrov, as captain and the nearest thing we have to a DCM, will start.   

So you start with our usual defence and Given behind them and Petrov infront.  Bent up top and then Bannan and Gabby somewhere in the midfield/forward area.  That leaves two places and I think Jenas hasn't come not to play, plus he'd add some experience and strength to the central midfield area, so he slots in alongside Petrov.  That last player is therefore from the options of Heskey, Delph, Ireland, N'Zogbia or Albrighton.  I think ideally you'd want N'Zogbia in form and playing - again we didn't pay £10m not to play him. 

So if that's the best 11, then foramtion wise it strongly leans towards 4-3-3 for me.  Gabby and N'Zog wide of Bent and Bannan as the furthest forward of a 3 man midfield:-

Given

Hutton
Dunne
Collins
Warnock

Petrov
Jenas
Bannan

Gabby
N'Zogbia

Bent 

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
Good post John but N'Zogbia has to earn his place and if the player in front of him cost us nowt but is doing the business, tough tittays!
Obviously though N'Zogbia has a lot of ability so once he does settle in and finds his form he will be a fixture you'd imagine.

I'd like to think McLeish will mix and match his line up to suit though rather than just pick an in-form XI. Yes that has to happen to a degree as it would be demotivating to drop a player doing well for somebody not doing so well just because they play in a natural position that is needed at that moment. However, it is a squad game and players wont get form back unless they're trusted.

When all players are fit McLeish has more options than we might think. I'd like to see him be canny and creative with them.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
Fair play to McLeish for having the balls to drop N'Zogbia on Saturday.It's early days but for whatever reason he hasn't done the business yet for us.For McLeish to leave out his biggest signing in favour of Bannan sends a message out to the whole squad that no one can get too comfortable.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
Cuellar Dunne Collins Warnock

Albrighton   Petrov      N'Zogbia

Irenland     Gabby

Bent

FROM NOW ON.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal