collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:14:39 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Famous Villa-related quotes  (Read 39098 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Famous Villa-related quotes
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 11:47:10 PM »
'Them all bloody villains' ... H&V sellers' all time favourite comment. They love it really

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2013, 01:00:45 AM »
'I learnt to sing on the holte end'   - Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2013, 01:07:38 AM »
Saunders : I'd like a pay rise
Atkinson : No
Saunders : but I was player of the year last season
Atkinson : I didn't vote for you

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
"you support Aston Villa ? now that is a proper football club"
Fred, a 89 year old QPR supporter.

Offline GarethRDR

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2013, 11:40:30 AM »
"It is all behind us now" - Stefan Postma's agent.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
''let's be honest, Villa have a different agenda to us, and they're a better side than us''.

TSM - 20/04/08

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »
John Gregory
There's an aura about this club, a sense of history and tradition. Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word

Johnny Dixon
It was the name Aston Villa that made me write to the club for a trial. Nothing to do with anything else, just the name.

Offline Pete

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »
Not famous, but one I've never forgotten. The scene - Trinity Road enclosure, mid 1980s. A freezing cold day, the second half of a crap match (goaless draw against Middlesbrough or suchlike). A little lad,  about eight or nine years old, looking  like he'd desperately prefer to be somewhere warmer, and less boring, turns to his father and says "How long to go, Dad?". An old bloke in the row behind, aged about 80, leans forward and says ruefully "About 70 f*cking years, son."

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »

Almost the words a Polish barman said to me last week in Szczecin. Except he said "they are an original club".

Offline Pete

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »

Almost the words a Polish barman said to me last week in Szczecin. Except he said "they are an original club".

I get this quite a lot, comments about us being a proper club, if I'm out in a Villa shirt up here in Huddersfield. I spot other Villa fans fairly regularly too, surprisingly. A greeting of "Up the Villa" always seems to be appreciated.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
There was an insert programme Football review or something in the 1971 Wembley programme, they had an article written by a someone i have forgotten at the end of the article he closed with "someone has shaken the tail of a slumbering Lion   and  i forsee the Lion plundering all the major trophies within the next 10 years" 

I am sure someone maybe able to dig out the actual article , I remember crying on the train home from Wembley as a heartbroken 10 year old ,  suddenley there was a whip round from the Villa fans around me , i got 7 quid they said use the money to go down the Villa , they also gave me loads of badges , hats and scarves ,  my Dad was a Leeds fan , he became a Villa fan that day as did my mum

Beautiful.

Indeed. £7 back in 1971 was a fair amount of money too. Sunny could have bought 350 Mars bars with the money. It's roughly equivalent to over £200 today.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:53:11 PM by Rudy Lambert »

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Not famous, but one I've never forgotten. The scene - Trinity Road enclosure, mid 1980s. A freezing cold day, the second half of a crap match (goaless draw against Middlesbrough or suchlike). A little lad,  about eight or nine years old, looking  like he'd desperately prefer to be somewhere warmer, and less boring, turns to his father and says "How long to go, Dad?". An old bloke in the row behind, aged about 80, leans forward and says ruefully "About 70 f*cking years, son."

Brilliant. And oh so true.

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2013, 03:13:04 AM »
There was an insert programme Football review or something in the 1971 Wembley programme, they had an article written by a someone i have forgotten at the end of the article he closed with "someone has shaken the tail of a slumbering Lion   and  i forsee the Lion plundering all the major trophies within the next 10 years" 

I am sure someone maybe able to dig out the actual article , I remember crying on the train home from Wembley as a heartbroken 10 year old ,  suddenley there was a whip round from the Villa fans around me , i got 7 quid they said use the money to go down the Villa , they also gave me loads of badges , hats and scarves ,  my Dad was a Leeds fan , he became a Villa fan that day as did my mum

Beautiful.

Indeed. £7 back in 1971 was a fair amount of money too. Sunny could have bought 350 Mars bars with the money. It's roughly equivalent to over £200 today.

I seem to remember 10 bob notes and some shiny new 50ps,  tanners , and loads of two bobs , some thruppeny bits which I loved but may not of been legal tender and two  pound notes which came from two old irish fellas who came from Monaghan where my mum was born 

i remember my  Mum was worried as they looked a rum crowd , my Dad was more relaxed , they broke upen the beer and all was good  the sing song was fantastic , fell asleep by Rugby as there was loads of nips for the little un  !     my stash was apparently discarded for a big hand knitted scarf and a worn old flag .

Mt Dad was quite a conservative chap ,  but he loved it and still remembers the trip . 

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:59:47 AM by Sunny Villa »

Offline peter w

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »

Excellent.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »

Beautiful.

I seem to remember 10 bob notes and some shiny new 50ps,  tanners , and loads of two bobs , some thruppeny bits which I loved but may not of been legal tender and two  pound notes which came from two old irish fellas who came from Monaghan where my mum was born 

i remember my  Mum was worried as they looked a rum crowd , my Dad was more relaxed , they broke upen the beer and all was good  the sing song was fantastic , fell asleep by Rugby as there was loads of nips for the little un  !     my stash was apparently discarded for a big hand knitted scarf and a worn old flag .

Mt Dad was quite a conservative chap ,  but he loved it and still remembers the trip . 

I remember my first (junior) season ticket was £11.25 in 1980/1. The best value for money ever!

My Dad always used to shout "come on you Villa boys!" just as they kick off. I have adopted it as a family heirloom.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal