collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 35 years ago today  (Read 8716 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: 35 years ago today
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 09:50:06 AM »
No TV footage of this.
It was a midweek game and in those days Central TV would send cameras to just one game in the region. This would have been the Villa game, but Derby had just signed Derek Hales from Charlton for £300k. Hales couldnt stop scoring in Division Two and was seen as the man to bring back the glory days they had enjoyed under Brian Clough. Hales scored a total of four goals in his entire Derby career - one less than we managed in those 45 minutes against Liverpool.

The man who made the decision to take the cameras to Derby instead of Villa Park that night ? Gary bloody Newbon ! Utter bloody twat !

Andy, everything you've posted is true and correct except if I recall correctly the head of ITV sport at that time was one Trevor East who, ironically was a big Derby fan and I think it was his decision to cover the Derby game instead of the visit of the league champions to V.P.  I also recall that Gary Newbon the following evening when giving the sports report looking very sheepish after showing the footage of the goalless draw at the Baseball Ground and saying that no footage was available from V.P.  I may be wrong but that has stuck with me for all these years.  BTW didn't Denis Mortimer hit the bar in the second half?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
Let's hope for the same score on Sunday.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
I was probably at the game but was only 6 so have zero recollection of it but we rarely missed a home game so assume I was at it

And wasn't Newbon at VP for that game and supposedly said that he was sat there with a pie and a pint and a sinking feeling inside as the goals kept going in?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
I was probably at the game but was only 6 so have zero recollection of it but we rarely missed a home game so assume I was at it

And wasn't Newbon at VP for that game and supposedly said that he was sat there with a pie and a pint and a sinking feeling inside as the goals kept going in?

I think it's in Children of the Revolution. He was a guest in the M&B box, or some other brewery.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 09:38:52 PM »

I think it's in Children of the Revolution. He was a guest in the M&B box, or some other brewery.

That's it! As soon as you said that I remembered where I'd read it.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »
No TV footage of this.
It was a midweek game and in those days Central TV would send cameras to just one game in the region. This would have been the Villa game, but Derby had just signed Derek Hales from Charlton for £300k. Hales couldnt stop scoring in Division Two and was seen as the man to bring back the glory days they had enjoyed under Brian Clough. Hales scored a total of four goals in his entire Derby career - one less than we managed in those 45 minutes against Liverpool.

The man who made the decision to take the cameras to Derby instead of Villa Park that night ? Gary bloody Newbon ! Utter bloody twat !

Andy, everything you've posted is true and correct except if I recall correctly the head of ITV sport at that time was one Trevor East who, ironically was a big Derby fan and I think it was his decision to cover the Derby game instead of the visit of the league champions to V.P.  I also recall that Gary Newbon the following evening when giving the sports report looking very sheepish after showing the footage of the goalless draw at the Baseball Ground and saying that no footage was available from V.P.  I may be wrong but that has stuck with me for all these years.  BTW didn't Denis Mortimer hit the bar in the second half?

There is footage of the Liverpool 5-1 - but only 8mm super 8 most likely. It was shown on a sky compilation programme around 5-6 years ago. I've tried my utmost to track it down but to no avail thus far. Another guy who posts on here will back me up. Even Andy Gray himself has confirmed it's existence. It's grainy image but I bet many on here would love to see it! God only knows what's happened to the footage - but it's a long time ago, so to track it down becomes more difficult year on year - just got to keep hoping with Youtube etc.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 09:55:46 PM »
Would love to see it.
As my earlier post, it was the only home game I missed that season!
Bugger!

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 11:05:22 PM »
Best performance I have ever seen from a Villa team against a world class side. The Hales story is correct, ATV central only could view one game and they chose Hales debut for Derby in a no score draw v Arsenal

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal