collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Steve67
[Today at 09:35:43 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:20 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dunne's turn?  (Read 17848 times)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
Re: Dunne's turn?
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »
We can't afford to have someone on 50-60k in the reserves though. Hopefully with a year left he'll take a reduced deal for a long contract elsewhere. If McCarthy keeps the dogheads up they're bound to be interested, or maybe a Blackburn, Bolton or another North West club will take him back up there.

I can accept him being here this season due to the contract, but I'll be gutted if we've another season of Collins, Dunne and Warnock as 3/4 of our first choice defenders.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »
How old is Dunne now? He must be pushing 32. Hopefully towards the end of the season Clarke will be edging him out of the team.

Was 32 in September (Wiki). Both him and Collins still have 2 years to run on their contracts. Hopefully we'll see more of Ciaran Clark soon or we'll have another Cahill situation on our hands

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
How old is Dunne now? He must be pushing 32. Hopefully towards the end of the season Clarke will be edging him out of the team.

Was 32 in September (Wiki). Both him and Collins still have 2 years to run on their contracts. Hopefully we'll see more of Ciaran Clark soon or we'll have another Cahill situation on our hands

Ta for that. I'm sure Clarke will get his chance through suspensions,injuries,hopefully he performs and stays in the team.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »
Dunne is a good defender, it's not even open to debate. He clearly has "lifestyle issues" but when fit he's as good as we're going to get in our current situation.

Houllier seemed to forget that he was a manager and was responsible for getting the best out of the players he was in charge of not pissing off half the squad by trying to force a style of play for which they weren't suited.

We had a good second half of the season because we returned to playing to the squad's strengths and part of that was a return to fitness and form for Dunne.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:44:42 PM by Chris Smith »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
Houllier's man management was and always has been poor to say the least but when Dunne is saying these things in interviews I wonder if any journalist has asked him if he was happy with his form, fitness and attitude from pre-season, which was also pre-Houllier onwards.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
Houllier pissed off a number of players so there was obviously an issue with his style. As for Dunne, he's been ok this season so can some of the muppets back off.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
Houllier pissed off a number of players so there was obviously an issue with his style. As for Dunne, he's been ok this season so can some of the muppets back off.

Agreed Dunne's been great this season reads the game well, rather him partner Clark or Carlos than Collins

Offline Archie

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
The only reason to continue with GH.
Dunne would have left.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 05:20:50 AM »
No doubt Houllier's man management skills were lacking, but the biggest reason that the players fell out with him was that he demanded an ounce of professionalism and hunger. Sadly, a lot of the players in our current squad lack both. If they didn't, they would have kept the criticism of the previous regime to themselves.

"So, Dunne, would you have left if Houllier stayed on as manager?"
"If he had wanted to keep me, I would have done my utmost to fight for a place in the team and develop as a player and professional."

What's the harm in giving an answer like that?

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »
What is wrong with it is that is dishonest, why should you lie to protect the reputation of a man who, in your view, had treated you and your mates, badly?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:15:19 AM by Chris Smith »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2011, 08:35:44 AM »
Dunne certainly didn't lack hunger last year....

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »
Dunne is a good defender, it's not even open to debate.

He's a good defender sometimes.

First season he was mostly good, and was in decent shape.  Probably as he was determined to hold onto his place at Money Citeh, but they moved him on anyway.

We got the benefit of that initially, but last season he was brutal. The passage of play that led to B-lose opening goal in the quarter final -where he made not one but two howlers- pretty much summed up his season. And helped to put the kybosh on ours.

He's been better this year, but compared to last season that's not saying much.  I've yet to see him have a game as good for us as he managed for Ireland against Russia in Moscow either.  Maybe that was a genuine one off - a freak.  But he does gives the impression that he almost picks and chooses his good games at times. Or -perhaps more accurately- motivation is an issue for him.

Aside from all that, he also has a long standing knee complaint (which may- in his defence- impact on his performance from time to time) so he's not one for the future regardless. If we were getting God- like performances from him it might be a dilemma. But we don't, so it isn't.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »
I disagree, Kevin. Part of the reason for our improved showing in the second part of last season was him (and Collins) regaining some form. I think he's been very solid and consistent this time round.

Not suggesting you fall into this group but I get the impression that a lot of people took against him last year and now can't see the wood for the trees.

Offline Merv

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
That's a good summary of Dunne. I do think he's a good defender, but I also think his qualities certainly aren't beyond debate. For me, he is a defender who divides opinion. Mostly, I rate him and he deserves to start in our side as things stand (though I do want to see Clark beside him) but I also feel he's often liable to make a mistake. I was tearing my hair out for that second goal at Sunderland - a bit of a needless barge on the player by the touchline to concede the free-kick. I'd have expected better from an experienced player who should have just stayed with him and jockeyed him down the line, or just put the ball out for a throw-in.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »
Since the 0-0 at home to small heath just over a year ago we've managed 6 clean sheets. 7 if you include the might of Hereford. Our defence still has a long way to go before it stops scaring the life out of me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal