collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mcleish - Slams Rumours of Darren Bent Sale  (Read 20244 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Mcleish - Slams Rumours of Darren Bent Sale
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
I think we paid pretty much the ceiling price for Bent, especially if we pay all the add-ons and the fee turns out to be 24m.  With all our other sales there were mitigating circumstances which to some degree justified their departures: with Milner and Downing we were given the opportunity to make huge profits and with Young and Barry they had run down their contracts.  Plus, in all these instances the players had shown a desire to leave Villa.

As Bent does not tick any of the above boxes (profit, contract, desire to leave) then I cannot really see him going anywhere. 

In my mind any sale would  not make footballing or economic sense and therefore would prove that the club are in absolute financial turmoil.  It will not happen.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »
Rumours started by who though, deluded fans who think he's gonna be a world beater?

Re: Bannon - You only have to read some comments on this site a few weeks ago to see those sentiments.

Funny how things change.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »
A bit more to his interview:

Budgets
McLeish said: "The position hasn't changed since I spoke to Mr Lerner in the summer. We are still trying to keep the budgets in control.

"The wages are still astronomical and we have to work together at the club to try and get them to where the chairman wants them."

The manager added: "The internet rumours [about Bent] are utter nonsense. It is utter rubbish. It is a phenomenon of the modern world - Twitter and Facebook - and it is not my world.

"Am I under pressure to sell a big name? No. It is not ever been thought about, let alone discussed."

If we're to believe every rumour, I've just read that Sunderland are about to table a £15m offer in January for N'Zogbia.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »
I think if things carry on the way they are with his partnership with Gabby we've got nothing to worry about. If anything it'll be the heavy reliance on both of them. as far as balancing the books/squad go, flog Dunne or Collins because I'm fairly certain the if he doesn't get enough games Clark could be the next Cahill.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
Sadly, any player who's doing the business at B6 will now be rumoured to be on his bike now.

This.  Also heard Bannan is on his way to Man Utd or Arsenal and Gabby's off to Spuds.

The frustrating thing is it seems to be Villa fans on Villa forums who are coming out with all this stuff.  I mean, Spurs and Arsenal?  Are they really that much of a step up as things stand?  In twelve to twenty-four months' time the whole picture could be completely different and things could be looking a lot more rosy at Villa Park.   I suppose Randy needs to come out and renew our optimism with a new statement of intent - that just might stop us talking ourselves into selling our best lads.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
He's scores a brace on Saturday and it's an international week making domestic club news thin on the ground.  The two combined take it an easy story to concoct . 

In any case, where would he go?  The truth is he isn't top, top draw, so he isn't going to Manchester, Arsenal or Chelsea.  He's given Spurs a crack and left under a cloud.  So that leaves Liverpool, who one would imagine are currently spent up. 

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
Sadly, any player who's doing the business at B6 will now be rumoured to be on his bike now.

This.  Also heard Bannan is on his way to Man Utd or Arsenal and Gabby's off to Spuds.

The frustrating thing is it seems to be Villa fans on Villa forums who are coming out with all this stuff.  I mean, Spurs and Arsenal?  Are they really that much of a step up as things stand?  In twelve to twenty-four months' time the whole picture could be completely different and things could be looking a lot more rosy at Villa Park.   I suppose Randy needs to come out and renew our optimism with a new statement of intent - that just might stop us talking ourselves into selling our best lads.

I read it on a gossip column  about a year ago. I also heard fresh rumours from a united supporting friend. I don't think villa fans make up these rumours. And as things stand Spurs and Arsenal would be a step up. As you rightly point out things could well be different in a year. Spurs could be the next club forced on an austerity drive, who knows.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
From the moment he joined I didn't think Bent would be here more than a year or two, I'd be surprised to see him in the line up at the start of next season.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
No smoke without fire.
Given our track record, its only a matter of time.
And, the fact that McLeish knows nothing about it doesn't mean jack shit.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
He's scores a brace on Saturday and it's an international week making domestic club news thin on the ground.  The two combined take it an easy story to concoct . 

Very true, this time last week he was being slated for his miss against Sunderland. This week he's making a big money move in January.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »
Bannan isnt good enough for Manure .   

Bannan isn't good enough for our first team let alone Man Utd's or anyone else's.

In three or four years he might be. That's probably the way managers look at things. I'd say he's on Fergie's radar. He'd have to become a top player for us first though. Sad, but that's the way it is.

It wouldn't surprise me that Fletcher is having words with him every Scotland match. The rumours about Bannan going there have been around since he was on loan at Blackpool. He would definitely replace Scholes in their team.

what you on . replace Scholes , youre having a laugh 

Offline Ross

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »
Darren Bent wants to go to the European Championships.  As long as he is in a team creating chances for him to showcase his finishing ability he'll be fine.  Unless money is his primary motivator he'll be much better staying put playing each week rather than being rotated at a CL club or similar. 

By way of example, Milner would be England's first pick central midfielder if he'd have stayed at Villa IMO. He's probably quite happy with things, but his international career has suffered from being rotated and being shunted out wide again.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »
Not under any circumstances. It would be the last straw for any remaining floating supporters and something like commercial (and footballing) suicide second only to selling Gabby.

Spot on.

However, before the Summer I'd have complete faith Randy would have the same stance. However now, I'm not as sure.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
even if we did get £50m I seriously doubt it would be used to re-build the team, it would go into Randy's back pocket.

We'd be scrapping for Bosmans

Agree.  Cue the "I can't believe the club let Marlon Harewood leave before I had the chance to get the best out of him"  from McLeish after that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:09:33 PM by timeoutbigbar »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
even if we did get £50m I seriously doubt it would be used to re-build the team, it would go into Randy's back pocket.

We'd be scrapping for Bosmans

Agree.  Cue the "I can't believe the club let Marlon Harewood leave before I had the chance to get the best out of him"  from McLeish after that.

You miserable buggers!  You appear to be outraged that we haven't spent 50m from a transfer that hasn't and probably won't happen.  Which somehow means McLeish will be wanting Marlon Harewood.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal