collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 02:29:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:28:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 02:25:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A controversial tongue-in-cheek debate; Award points for goals scored.  (Read 10462 times)

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
Re: A controversial tongue-in-cheek debate; Award points for goals scored.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
Philthebar's right. Players can already be cautioned for diving and I'd happily see them sent off.

I'm not in favour of bonus points and the like. I would prefer to see more punitive sanctions if a player dives. Something like a ten match ban or even points being deducted. I would imagine that would soon stop it from happening.

Online robbyfvillain

• GM : 18.04.2021
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »
So we're 2-1 down with a minute to go, Gabby smacks the ball goalwards and just before it crosses the line the fullback handles it.

Penalty to us, little BB slots home the goal and we lose 6 points to 4 under the points system. Cannot see the fairness in this.

Always liked the idea of a clock that stops when there are stoppages in the game to get an accurate 90 mins played though.

Offline AlwaysAVFC

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 07:46:11 PM »
Wombat, you've just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard and the office wonder what the fuck I'm doing!!

We can take plenty from rugby at many levels - respect for the ref from all involved being the main one.  I've  played both and coached my son in both sports, and the attitude of all involved at either game is streets apart.  It's no sprupise there's no respect in professional football when many parents at grass roots levels behave the way they do.

Anyway, I'd take the ref mikes, sin bin and ten metre rules for dissent, as well as a bonus point for four goals.

My brother has started a Sunday league side, a few of them play rugby as well. It's quite funny to see the other side's reaction when they instinctively call the ref Sir.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 06:40:12 PM »
Philthebar's right. Players can already be cautioned for diving and I'd happily see them sent off.

I'm not in favour of bonus points and the like. I would prefer to see more punitive sanctions if a player dives. Something like a ten match ban or even points being deducted. I would imagine that would soon stop it from happening.

Was it A. Sugar at Spurs who took the FA to Court when Spurs were threatened with a big point deduction over some issue? If it were Villa that were deducted 10pts that resulted in relegation, or missing out on CL revenue we'd be demanding court action or summat done especially if there's some room for doubt in whether a player did dive or not.

So we're 2-1 down with a minute to go, Gabby smacks the ball goalwards and just before it crosses the line the fullback handles it.

Penalty to us, little BB slots home the goal and we lose 6 points to 4 under the points system. Cannot see the fairness in this.

Always liked the idea of a clock that stops when there are stoppages in the game to get an accurate 90 mins played though.

Cant deny that is a possibility. But its also a possibility now that your winning 2-1 and someone takes a dive in  the closing seconds and scores from the pen to draw 2-2 which is also unfair.
But if in yr example the opposition needed to score to get the 3 pts to tie the match, they'd be little chance of a player diving if he'd only get 1pt from the spot and subsequently still lose the match 6-4.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
Was it A. Sugar at Spurs who took the FA to Court when Spurs were threatened with a big point deduction over some issue? If it were Villa that were deducted 10pts that resulted in relegation, or missing out on CL revenue we'd be demanding court action or summat done especially if there's some room for doubt in whether a player did dive or not.

Fair point, Gaz. I was thinking along the lines of decisions in which there was no room for doubt.

Online nigel

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but, how about trying the skin tight shirts?
This would certainly stop all the shirt tugging.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal