collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shay Given - Best Keeper since Bossie?  (Read 13937 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Shay Given - Best Keeper since Bossie?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 06:44:43 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Whether Friedel would or wouldn't have come for it, Given shouldn't certainly should have. I can't think of any occasion when a cross is inside the six yard box and the keeper shouldn't be claming it. Particularly when he and Leon Best are the same height and Given has the benefit of using his hands.

As I said, it's a failing that if he didn't possess he would be one of the best keepers in the world and playing for a much bigger club than us. And I'm much happier with him in goal than I thought I would be when his signing was first mooted.

Offline philthebar

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 08:06:56 AM »
For what it’s worth, here’s my opinion of Shay.

Good signing, can’t think of anyone else we could have got.  Good shot stopper, excellent reactions, good with his feet. 

On the negative side, I think he stays on his line too much and relies on the defence to deal with crosses. By not taking the crosses, the pressure often remains on, or, as other have noted elsewhere, the ball gets hoofed away, allowing the opposition to start building again.  Also, if he took the cross, he probably wouldn’t have to make as many saves.

If I were the opposition, I would be attacking down the flanks (where we still appear to have problems) send in a lot of crosses, pressure the centre backs and follow up for the 2nd ball.

This seems to be the trend with keepers nowadays.

Still a good signing.

Offline DerHammer

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
Shay Given is proving to be an amazing signing at the moment, so much that it appears Villa have made the best & worst buy of the transfer window-Given &  N'Zogbia

Offline philthebar

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
Shay Given is proving to be an amazing signing at the moment, so much that it appears Villa have made the best & worst buy of the transfer window-Given &  N'Zogbia

Agree - good signing - just pointing out what I have noticed.

I played in goal at various (mainly low) levels for a number of years and tend to take a rather negative approach.  I judge by 'what would you have said if he hadn't made that save' and have to say I have been extremely impressed by the saves.  Still a worry on the cross handling though.

As for N'Zogbia, I hope its just a case of him having not settled yet.  I hope.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »
Incidentally, I'd say that his save against QPR was a better save than the heralded (but still very good) one against Newcastle.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:14 PM »
Was quite often impressed whenever I've seen Given play for Ireland. At Newcastle and Man Citeh he looked good -rather than great.  A good shot stopper but by no means unbeatable.

I freely admit I said I would have preferred Foster in the summer too. Primarily because of his age. He'd have been a more long term acquisition and his wages might be a good bit less. A five year contract for a player who is no stranger to the treatment table also seemed excessive. Then there is the Dunne/ Stephen Ireland scenario -  a player leaving a club on the up and just going through the motions here.

A bit unfair on Dunne maybe, as he was decent in his first season.  And Ireland showed some nice touches and drive second half yesterday, and got into some good positions. But you get what I mean.

Speaking to a Bluenose acquaintance at the start of the season - one of the rare reasonable, knowledgeable ones- and he said if he had a choice of Foster or Given, he'd have Given every time.

Our best player by a country mile so far this season. If we can keep him fit, we've got one less position to worry about.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2011, 11:42:05 PM »
Foster has been largely poor from highlights of Albion thus far.

Offline Ryu

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 08:55:15 AM »
I had reservations about us signing given but he's already convinced me I was wrong. I was worried about him on crosses and thought he was one of these flamboyant keepers who made the basics look spectacular.

But he's been brilliant for us so far. Still a question mark over him on crosses but that was the same with our old keeper. The thing is with Given, as well as being a very consistent goalie, is that he will make some saves that the vast majority of goalies just would not be able to make, and that can win/save you points. So I guess he is like Bossie in that respect.

Online villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
For me Shay has to take some responsibility for the flak regarding the defence - I think he is a very good keeper but not a great one ... purely down to the fact he does not command his box, certainly with crosses. Not sure how tall he is but this seems his one achilles heel.
I am sure switched on coaches at other clubs realise this also.
It would help if we stopped giving away needless free kicks and corners.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »
When was the last time we had a keeper who would come for a cross.I am sure that is why we defend too deep and give away so many late goals.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2011, 12:47:52 PM »
If you watch other teams the days of keepers charging out for every corner are long gone. There are so many players in the six yard box these days and the delivery is generally so good that they've got no chance of getting to the ball. Given is no better or worse than most other keepers, it's just another part of the game that is slowly disappearing.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
I can't compare him to bossie because I didn't see him play, certainly not old enough to remember anyway. But he's started well for us, I did worry about his command of area when he signed and it stays that way, our defence doesn't help him in the slightest though. We'll see how it pans out, as long as we get a few years out of him then its an inspired signing

Offline GJH

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »
Great keeper, better than Bossie because his kicking is better.

Took a pay cut to sign for us but when you are on over 100k a week you would have to take a pay cut to go anywhere else anyway.

He may be the difference this season between relegation and survival.

Always been one of the top 5 keepers in the league. 10 years +

Offline GJH

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
Great keeper, better than Bossie because his kicking is better.

Took a pay cut to sign for us but when you are on over 100k a week you would have to take a pay cut to go anywhere else anyway.

He may be the difference this season between relegation and survival.

Always been one of the top 5 keepers in the league. 10 years +

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »
Just on lower levels of nazi salutes and grammage of powder snorted, I have to say Given over Bosnich.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal