collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by JUAN PABLO
[Today at 09:31:55 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:20:35 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nick Clegg, slight% Villa  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Nick Clegg, slight% Villa
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 07:35:17 AM »
What this country needs is a fat grumpy Raith Rovers fan in Number 10.

Agreed Andy - that would really have them celebrating in the pubs and clubs of Raith.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
Or maybe a psuedo Geordie who watched Jacki Milburn. Or reckoned he did.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
Or maybe a psuedo Geordie who watched Jacki Milburn. Or reckoned he did.

No he didn't

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
I don't think you can blame Clegg for his upbringing, and I've never quite understood the antipathy to Oxford and Cambridge when they have a much higher percentage of state admissions than many other Russell Group universities (and they are the best and make you work like an absolute bastard, so good luck to them). Maybe Clegg does like David Bowie, maybe his digs at Cameron hint that he is actually fighting for his causes.

Then again, as a lifelong liberal and most-life party member, I literally hate him.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »
It's not really about having a go at Clegg for his upbringing, though, it is the hypocrisy of him having a pop at Camerons, implying it is massively out of touch with society as a whole, when his own isn't that much less out of touch.

Offline dr.chekov

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 10:17:04 AM »
I agree with Monty. We should be careful to avoid inverse snobbery.  Lots of people from privileged backgrounds have supported working class rights: (Earl) Bertrand Russell, Tony Benn, Marx, Engels, &c.

The only criterion when judging Cameron (and Clegg) should be whether or not he is doing a good job.

As for Clegg’s quip, it wasn’t hypocritical it was a joke, and a mildly amusing one at that.     

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »
There's a protest against the cuts in Brum today if anyone fancies shouting at Cleggy and co.
Might pop along, I love a good protest me.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »
I sometimes long for the days when a politician's support of a football team was at best irrelevant, or better still, would be seen as a hindrance when canvassing votes in the shires. 

Cameron doesn't support the Villa in any sense that we understand it (neither, for that matter, does the Duke of Cambridge), so there is really no point in it being mentioned.

As for someone's alma mater, I think it is perfectly reasonable for someone to have an Eton and Oxford education and also to be a passionate football supporter, just as the product of your "bog standard" inner-city comp might hate the game.  What gets me, is the seeming need for everyone to have a favourite team whether they actually do or not.   
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:48:46 AM by TopDeck113 »

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
If his political loyalty is anything to go by, I'd imagine Clegg was a long time Liverpool supporter who realising they weren't not going to win anything, now supports Man United.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
Cameron. Clegg. Ed Millibean.

Every one of them climbed the greasy pole as a SPAD (Special Political Advisor to a minister) having been privately educated, then graduated from Oxford. (or Cambridge in Clegg's case.)

I find it very worrying that the political leaders of all the three main parties have absolutely no experience of life as we know it. They really might as well have just arrived on the starship Enterprise.

I'd much rather the leader of our country's government have had the best education possible than have dropped out of a shitty state school at 16 with no GCSEs.

Just because they've not been a metal-basher in the Black Country doesn't mean they can't do the job of leading the government.  Equally, just because they lead the government doesn't mean they make all the decisions or come up with all the ideas.  That's why we have a government and not a President.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »
can you imagine what people on here would say about Dave if he supported Manure or Chelsea

:o

Offline Villanation

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »

Every one of them climbed the greasy pole as a SPAD (Special Political Advisor to a minister) having been privately educated, then graduated from Oxford. (or Cambridge in Clegg's case.)

I find it very worrying that the political leaders of all the three main parties have absolutely no experience of life as we know it. They really might as well have just arrived on the starship Enterprise.

I'd much rather the leader of our country's government have had the best education possible than have dropped out of a shitty state school at 16 with no GCSEs.

Just because they've not been a metal-basher in the Black Country doesn't mean they can't do the job of leading the government.  Equally, just because they lead the government doesn't mean they make all the decisions or come up with all the ideas.  That's why we have a government and not a President.

Just because they have been to best paid for education at the best schools in the country also doesn't make them in any way qualified to lead a piss up in a brewery let alone a country, in fact most of them that have such a closeted education are biggest thickest shit heads on the planet, what is does teach them is where to buy the best suits, how to carry yourself and how to be very plausible.....

Don't hold any water with me i'm afraid, they are all lying mother **ckers as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »

Just because they have been to best paid for education at the best schools in the country also doesn't make them in any way qualified to lead a piss up in a brewery let alone a country, in fact most of them that have such a closeted education are biggest thickest shit heads on the planet, what is does teach them is where to buy the best suits, how to carry yourself and how to be very plausible.....

Don't hold any water with me i'm afraid, they are all lying mother **ckers as far as I'm concerned.

Are you talking about Oxbridge as well as private schools? Because if you are, congratulations on being the most wrong person ever.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »
This just about sums up my impression of Mr Clegg

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
I actually met a proper, old school land-owning Tory last weekend, whose kids were both "at boarding school".  When I asked which one, she replied "Eton".  I have never, ever met anybody in my life who I had so little in common with, and who I found so very objectionable.  Perhaps there's hope for me yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal