collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by olaftab
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by olaftab
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A song for Alex  (Read 24433 times)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Re: A song for Alex
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »
To the tuneof,   it's your round m'lord.

So original.  Hope you are all happy together. Fucking pathetic.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2012, 11:20:38 PM »
There wa a good song going around at Stamford Bridge Chelsea on New Years Eve, aimed towrds the Chelsea fans

To the tune of Sloop John B

"we're winning away
we're winning away
how shit must you be
we're winning away"

Yes. I bet the team really appreciated that.

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
Who is actually going to sing anything for McLeish? We are going to watch the team not "him".
Don't forget where he came from all this rubbish about forgiving him.
You continue to talk bollocks.

It's true though.

No one sings his name because he came from Blues.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »
Who is actually going to sing anything for McLeish? We are going to watch the team not "him".
Don't forget where he came from all this rubbish about forgiving him.
You continue to talk bollocks.

It's true though.

No one sings his name because he came from Blues.

If he was any good and we'd pinched him of you for that reason I'd be singing his name from the rooftops, 1. For being the Villa manager and 2. because it would have pissed you lot right off.

As it is, he was probably the worst appointment the board could have made. If the criteria for the new manager was:

a) needs to have a record of dull, uninspiring football
b) cannot motivate under-confident players
c) will completely baffle and antagonise the fans

...then they made the best appointment. All the reasons above are why his name isn't being sung, not because he came from that lot down in Small Heath.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »

it was sung with very good humour.

And obviously did the trick

Offline Newquay_AVFC

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »

Fulham used to sing something like that, not about winning away but just scoring away. I found it very funny.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »
This "because he used to be at Blues" thing is weird.

It is both a stick to beat him with, as in "he's shit, he came from Small Heath FFS" and used by some as a kind of get-out of jail free card for any argument on him, as in "The reason you don't rate him is because he used to manage them".

To be honest, I find both ends of that one dull, unimaginative and a bit half-arsed.

Firstly, who give a flying one if he used to manage them? If he'd done amazingly there, they'd have been gutted to lose him (they weren't), and surely any Villa fan would be cock-a-hoop at stealing their prized asset?

Secondly, what about those who don't rate him because of things  other than his former employers? We're not all that dim and parochial, you know.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »

Worked for Swansea at VP as well, their version a pleasantly tuneful:

"We're Swansea City"
"We're shit on the rrrrrrrrrrrroad

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
The problem s though, Paulie, both of those sides of the argument are based in truth. There are people who are anti McLeish because he's an ex Blues manager, there's no point denying it. Even amongst the more fair minded he's been given no honeymoon period that any other appointment would have received.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
The problem s though, Paulie, both of those sides of the argument are based in truth. There are people who are anti McLeish because he's an ex Blues manager, there's no point denying it. Even amongst the more fair minded he's been given no honeymoon period that any other appointment would have received.

He doesn't get a honeymoon period because he has performed EXACTLY as the sane minded predicted he would.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »

I'm not denying it at all, I'm just saying that a lot of us don't rate the bloke for more considered reasons (ie what we've seen on the pitch).

I also reckon if you looked back at this time last year, Houllier would have been getting exactly the kind of stick McLeish is now, so I don't reckon he's getting any less honeymoon period than anyone else

Offline jembob

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
Very few people seem to have their name sung at the moment. Much of this is due to the poor attendances and complete lack of atmosphere which continue to decline. The appointment of Mcleish signalled the Board's intention to settle for mediocrity and he's done a sterling job fulfilling that lack of ambition. Why would anybody want to sing a song for a man who is largely responsible for the shambolic state of the team's performances?

Having come from the Blues he was never going to have a honeymoon period or any margin for error so it is bound to end in an ugly situation whatever happens.  Surely there were only 3 people who thought he was a good appointment - Lerner, Faulkner and Mcleish.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »

He doesn't get a honeymoon period because he has performed EXACTLY as the sane minded predicted he would.

He has, he's kept us in mid table when the obsessives were predicting us being in the bottom 3 by now.

Offline ez

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »

I'm not denying it at all, I'm just saying that a lot of us don't rate the bloke for more considered reasons (ie what we've seen on the pitch).

I also reckon if you looked back at this time last year, Houllier would have been getting exactly the kind of stick McLeish is now, so I don't reckon he's getting any less honeymoon period than anyone else

Thats my thinking too. The blues connection is a bit like a smokescreen some use to avoid the real important issue that is his results/performances over the last 2 seasons.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »

He has, he's kept us in mid table when the obsessives were predicting us being in the bottom 3 by now.

The value of your argument is devalued by you rigidly sticking to quoting what the numpties say.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal