collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Beard82
[Today at 06:40:25 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

Re: VAR by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by olaftab
[Today at 06:34:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Richard E
[Today at 06:31:46 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 06:29:42 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by Chipsticks
[Today at 06:27:00 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:26:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fabian Delph's season coming up, oh no, not another injury.  (Read 37667 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Fabian Delph's season coming up
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
I would imagine the senior pro he looks up to most is Hutton. I feel the need to close my eyes and cross my fingers when either of them are about to make a tackle.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »
I'm willing to give him time. I'd much rather see him in the team than Heskey.

There's a player in there with the right coaching. Look how long it took Bale to make an impact at Spurs...

Offline MadJohnnyC

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »
I'd much rather see him in the team than Heskey.

Apologies for going off topic completely, but i discovered today that Emile Heskey has scored more headed goals (28), than any other player still plying there trade in the premiership. A stat i thought remarkable. Just thought I'd share that.

Anyway.... Fabian Delph.....

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
I like delph.  I think there's a very good player in there.  The problem is he got a bad injury at the wrong time and since he came back the club has been really unsettled.  Add to that when he has come into the side for a run of games we, as a team, were shit so he was just part of some pretty poor performances.  The player he should be looking up to is Makoun but seeing as Makoun has been abandoned without any chance to get a pre-season in that's not going to happen.  I can see him filling a role for us as I'd love for us to be in a position of being able to rotate the squad around without losing anything.

1 of the biggest problems we've had since Randy came in (thanks MON) is that we've had a first 11 and backups rather than 18-19 players who all deserve to play and you can rotate around.  That is inexcusable given the money we've spent and the lauding that the academy has received.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »
Sadly as much as I've love him to I don't think Delph can make it.  Sell now & use the cash wisely.

Swap for Adam Lallana at Southampton.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »
McLeish raved about him for the first few weeks, he obviously holds him in high regard or has done very recently so I wouldn't write him off just yet. I wonder if he'll be part of O'Neill's inevitably ''Villa Swoop'' this month/next summer.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2012, 12:30:39 AM »
god i hope MON does swoop for him. Even a couple of million for someone who doesn't offer much more than osbourne did would be something. Done up like a kipper we were - no wonder Leeds praised us for the way we handled the transfer - must have been pissing themselves

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2012, 12:42:43 AM »
Can anyone remember the breakdown in payment to Leeds or was that made public? He's not stuck on 24 league appearances is he?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »
it was a lot of money for a div2 player. 6m? if there was add-ons we must have got well and truly shafted.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2012, 01:31:33 AM »
god i hope MON does swoop for him. Even a couple of million for someone who doesn't offer much more than osbourne did would be something. Done up like a kipper we were - no wonder Leeds praised us for the way we handled the transfer - must have been pissing themselves

I seem to remember that Man Citeh's involvement was the reason for the praise, and also contributed to the inflated price. Sperms were interested as well, according to the article below.

ToryGraph
Delph, 19, will now discuss personal terms with the Midlands club and, depending on an agreement being reached, undergo a medical at the club this afternoon. Neither the terms nor medical are expected to prove problematic.

Signing Delph is something of a coup for Villa, who have made no secret of the need to make a number of signings before the start of the season.

Martin O’Neill has followed Delph’s progress for some time, but was initially put off by Leeds’ valuation. However, when City and Tottenham registered their interest last week, O’Neill was compelled to order that Villa’s bid be increased.

It is understood that the way in which negotiations were conducted played a decisive role in the decision of Leeds to accept Villa’s bid. In a thinly veiled dig at City, who have alienated a number of clubs this summer, Leeds praised the “honourable manner” in which Villa made their approach. 

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2012, 01:46:30 AM »
Dunno. Way i see it herd, clark, bannon look miles more comfortable in midfield than delpth ever has and none of them are anyway near the finished article yet'. As i said at the time, Leeds sold him and got promoted the next season. Doesn't appear they missed him much to me.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2012, 01:59:41 AM »
Delph needs some time.

That's all I'm saying.  I think he's a very promising young player.  I want him to have more oportunities to shine.

*Tin hat on*

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Delph needs some time.

That's all I'm saying.  I think he's a very promising young player.  I want him to have more oportunities to shine.

*Tin hat on*

Don't worry, I agree.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »
I think he's lost his confidence. If he gets it back I think he could be a good player.  I'd like to see him played further foward, in the kind of areas Ireland and Bannan operate, as I think he has an eye for a cheeky pass.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
Delph needs some time.

*Tin hat on*

If he'd come through the Villa youth team, most people would probably be of the opinion that the likes of Bannan and Clark were leaving him behind.  But because he cost £6m, it's almost like he HAS to come good, even though the evidence to date is that he isn't that special.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal