collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:45:11 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:32:30 PM]

Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 02:32:08 PM]

VAR by Drummond
[Today at 02:27:46 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 02:25:19 PM]

MOTD by LeeB
[Today at 01:56:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fabian Delph's season coming up, oh no, not another injury.  (Read 37681 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Fabian Delph's season coming up
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:48 AM »
I'd forgotten Fabian Delph existed before seeing the title of this thread. Unlucky or whatever I don't think his Villa career can be seen as anything other than a failure.

A pretty expensive failure?
Sums up a good few of MON's signings

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »
TBF we paid the going rate for promising teens from lower divisions in England. Look at how much Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walker cost.

The issue with Delph is two fold.
One, he is not a defensive midfielder which is how he has been asked to be played recently. He then had his run of poor form culminating in the loan.
Two, his tackling is reckless and is a danger to himself more then the opposition. MON mentioned it soon after he bought him but he didn't bother to/ didn't have the ability to re-coach him correctly.

I still remember some of the performances he was putting in soon after we signed him. Was it Juventus we played in a friendly where there coach raved about him? Also the Manure home match and his goal in the FA cup were also stand out moments. But the injuries have took a toll on him and his development.

Offline jonboy

« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
One of the worst players ive seen in a villa shirt in my opinion. Could never see why people raved about him.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
One of the worst players ive seen in a villa shirt in my opinion. Could never see why people raved about him.

You can't have been watching Villa that long in that case

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »
TBF we paid the going rate for promising teens from lower divisions in England. Look at how much Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walker cost.

The issue with Delph is two fold.
One, he is not a defensive midfielder which is how he has been asked to be played recently. He then had his run of poor form culminating in the loan.
Two, his tackling is reckless and is a danger to himself more then the opposition. MON mentioned it soon after he bought him but he didn't bother to/ didn't have the ability to re-coach him correctly.

I still remember some of the performances he was putting in soon after we signed him. Was it Juventus we played in a friendly where there coach raved about him? Also the Manure home match and his goal in the FA cup were also stand out moments. But the injuries have took a toll on him and his development.

Undoubtedly a talent, but sometimes things don't work out for a player at a club. 

Offline pedro25

« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
I think it was Fiorentina where he was excellent, Man U also.  I remember his early appearances he had a knack of swinging the ball wide to Ash Young, ala Barry, and looked really promisisng.  I fear he may go the way of Curtis Davies though.

Offline Merv

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
Let's remember we paid £6m for Delph, not £16m or something hugely inflated. The fee was fine. As shown on some of the video clips, the lad's got plenty of talent.

It's a shame the way things are panning out for him - mostly for the player himself. Whenever he's looked like getting into a run of form, he's had an injury, and serious ones at that. He just can't seem to get going. Let's hope he's ready for pre-season, and gets a fresh start - he's 22 years old and given our midfield options, shouldn't be writing him off just yet. He can be a ball-playing midfielder, he's got a nice touch and decent vision.

Offline SX150

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
Looked full of promise when we signed him but injury didn't help. We also seem to have coached the talent out of him during his stay at the Villa. Taken under Sid's wing he could still prove to be a quality player.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »
I'd forgotten Fabian Delph existed before seeing the title of this thread. Unlucky or whatever I don't think his Villa career can be seen as anything other than a failure.

A pretty expensive failure?
He's probably cost well over £10mil with wages and transfer fee, and medical bills by now...

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Fabian Delph's season coming up, oh no, not another injury.
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
Never good enough to be a Premier midfielder i'm afraid.

Rather than just write off the massive investement, why not try him in a different position like left back?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »
Rather than just write off the massive investement, why not try him in a different position like left back?

I've heard worse ideas than that (like playing him at CB!)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
Looked a liability when he played, wasn't near anything like good enough when he played, injury prone (little wonder the way he went in for tackles), couldn't pass and terrible first touch. We will get no return on our investment.  A disaster, a complete disaster. 

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »
Well we paid £6m with an additional £2m to be paid I expect under the usual appearances terms. Delph was given an improved and extended contact by Houllier last season, keeping the lad here until summer 2015. Let's hope he fully recovers and when he returns he's given another opportunity to prove himself, preferably as a box to box midfielder, not as a defensive midfielder where he looked for obvious reasons, lost.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
It's not worked out (yet) but I'm not going to hang MON for that particular signing.  I think these are the sort of players we need to be looking at, hoping they achieve their potential rather than signing too many 30 year old (because you can't be bothered  to coach).

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »
It doesn't matter what position he plays if his first touch bounces away from him or if he tackles like he has shown or if he keeps giving the ball away as often as he has shown.  He would have to improve these aspects of his game drastically to even be considered in the future. They're basic elements to the game at any level and more so at prem level. 

You might say he's trying too hard to impress.  That might be the case to some extent but I can't say that I remember seeing him have anything like a half decent game when he did play.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal