collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Steve67
[Today at 09:40:50 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:40:22 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 09:39:09 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Keeno
[Today at 09:38:06 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:36:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 09:36:52 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:36:47 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Forge10
[Today at 09:35:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Davis ???!!!!!!  (Read 12273 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: Steven Davis ???!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »
I think it's commonly accepted the SPL is a lower standard than the EPL.  However if you want to argue otherwise and fly in the face of public opinion based on the single example of Adam, go ahead. 

Online john2710

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
Quality costs money & we don't have any.  So we need to accept that this is the level of signings we will see more of.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »
I think it's commonly accepted the SPL is a lower standard than the EPL.  However if you want to argue otherwise and fly in the face of public opinion based on the single example of Adam, go ahead. 

I'm not planning on doing that because as  you say it would be a bloody stupid and patently wrong argument.

There are good players to be signed in the SPL and to argue otherwise is almost as silly. Some may look like world beaters there and not work out in the EPL but equally others could be very good players at the higher level. It's the same with every other league. Even if you sign players from better leagues such as the Eredivisie or Ligue 1 you might find they won't handle the step up or the change in pace or nature of the game when stepping up to the Premiership. Some might argue we just had the same issue with Makoun. Hell, you could even  have a player who is suited to the premier league who will struggle to adapt to SPL football and look useless there.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
The questions to ask are:
1. Will Ireland be with us mentally or not by Jan?
2. Will we have better MF players by Jan than Davis (I'm thinking about Bannan, Delph and Gardner, particularly)?
3. Can Davis step up to the P'ship pace again?
4. Will JJ have made the impact we all hope he can by Jan?

Hopefully we'll have demonstrated that we do not necessarily need to buy another MF by then.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »

Arteta?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »

Arteta?

Gary O'Connor?

Offline Gervilla81

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
The arrogance on here at times is baffling.

Sure the EPL is a million times better than the SPL but to write
Steven Davis off because he plays there is madness.
Some on here need a reality check Davis has been best player in SPL
over last few seasons by some distance and he plays for a club where a draw is bordering on a crisis
to consitently perform as he does under that pressure speaks volumes for him.

I'd have him in starting 11 before Petrov, Ireland and a few others

A midfield of Albrighton, Davis, Jenas and N,Zogbia would be ideal
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:27:26 PM by Gervilla81 »

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »
Not sure about Davis, but I would much rather see Delph starting ahead of him.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »

Arteta?

Well the point was Zogman presented a case for an argument based on one example of a player who was crap in the SPL and good in the EPL, ergo EPL is worse than SPL.  Even he has said it's a spurious argument.  So are you now saying Arteta was also crap in the SPL? He's been pretty mediocre in the EPL the last year or so.  I'm really not sure what you are trying to prove.

Offline Nirog72

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
I'd prefer him to Jenas. And I don't mind Jenas.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »

I'm not planning on doing that because as  you say it would be a bloody stupid and patently wrong argument.

There are good players to be signed in the SPL and to argue otherwise is almost as silly. Some may look like world beaters there and not work out in the EPL but equally others could be very good players at the higher level. It's the same with every other league. Even if you sign players from better leagues such as the Eredivisie or Ligue 1 you might find they won't handle the step up or the change in pace or nature of the game when stepping up to the Premiership. Some might argue we just had the same issue with Makoun. Hell, you could even  have a player who is suited to the premier league who will struggle to adapt to SPL football and look useless there.

"Silly"?   Are you Chris Smith in disguise?  There may be good players to be had in the SPL but as it's a poor standard I'd say it is probably not the most fertile hunting ground and in any case I just don't think Davis is one of them.   Just a wild stab in the dark but if you look around the likes of Real Madrid, Milan, Inter, Bayern and other dominant european clubs I'd guess you'd find a fair smattering of players who began life in eredivisie or ligue 1.  I doubt you'd find many who started or even featured in the SPL.  Sure not all of them would adapt to the EPL but that's probably more about the faster and more physical playing style than any lack of ability. But if you want to class Shevchenko in the same bracket as Kris Boyd, fine.  I know who I'd rather have in my team.   Makoun was and is a good player who hasn't been given a chance by people who seem to expect Iniesta like performances before they accept any new signings.  His performance at OT was one of the,  if not the,  best passing performances I've seen from a Villa player. 

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
Always rates him as a good midfielder. Would have him back. Only on rhe basis that we ship out Ireland.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
A midfield of Albrighton, Davis, Jenas and N,Zogbia would be ideal
And would be about as robust as a wet paper-towel.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »
As has been already mentioned, he was our player of the year as a kid. Obviously that was in a lower premiership team with no money, but thats about where we are today unfortunately.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal