collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Ireland - Clean Slate?  (Read 68195 times)

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
Re: Stephen Ireland - Clean Slate?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
We're paying him a shedload of money so I'm in the 'he's-a-complete-knobhead-who's-taken-the-piss-out-of-us-but-everyone-gets-a-clean-slate-and-one-last-chance' camp.  The only danger is that while we're giving him that last chance we'll miss out on the opportunity of signing someone like Adam

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
Yes ...

He has masses of talent , AMc could actually get the best our if him.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Trouble is will he give Villa another chance? Doesn't see the type to come back with his tail between his legs. GH seemed to move him out pretty fast and i'm guessing that wasn't just because he didn't rate him, more the effect he was having on the dressing room.

That's my worry too Greg

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Problem in a nutshell he doesn't want to be at Villa, if he had come with the right attitude it could have worked out but he really didn't want to leave City he was told he was going. If we had s dominant captain to keep him in order but for me no, he has burned too many bridges and he will never be one of us.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
No way in a million years

We pay him something like 60K

Surely the 60K per week we pay him is the reason we should give him another chance. We will continue to pay this for the foreseeable future unless we find some team daft enough to buy him, better he at least earns some of it?
And you never know, he might just find the form that saw him command that type of fee in the first place.

Offline Iago

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
He has great ability, he just needs to get mentally straight. I believe AM can get the best out of him.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:47:27 AM by Iago »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »
I said no this time last year.

I said no after his first "performance".

I said no when people wanted to give him another chance last season.

I'm saying no this time.

I'm sick of saying no.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
I said no this time last year.

I said no after his first "performance".

I said no when people wanted to give him another chance last season.

I'm saying no this time.

I'm sick of saying no.

What are you trying to say Nev?

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
If we can give McLeish a fair shot then we can surely afford Ireland an opportunity.I couldn't care less what he thinks of the City or even the county.I couldn't care less if he is a complete bell end.If he gets a chance and performs to the level he has shown in the past then he'll be adored.Then no doubt he'll kiss the badge before setting off for a Sky 4 team and the local bedsheet vendor will once again make a mint as Villa Park is adorned in 'Ireland is a wanker' banners.The fact Houllier wanted him out the club has no relevance now.Kermit has gone and anything that went on during his tenure should be pushed well away.

Offline Merv

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
Clean slate yes, but Ireland's got to hit the ground running in pre-season and convince McLeish he's worth keeping and playing. The manager will have him pegged as a player with a big question mark against him so he'll soon suss if he's not up for it.

If Ireland doesn't show the attitude and effort required in pre-season training and matches, I can't see him starting the season in a Villa shirt.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
It up to the manager to work out whether these wasters are going to be worth it or not, and fast. I would say that if he's still here 1.9.11 and in the 18 squad for matches then he gets my support. If he's not up to it McLeish will have chucked him out anyway so it's irrelevant. More to the point, i back McLeish to sort out the good from the bad, as thats one area i think he'll come good.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
What i will say for McLeish is that he's already showing the club and most importantly the fans more respect than Houllier ever did.Whatever Ireland the man is, he's got undoubted talent and needs a good man manager.With the figures being bandied around this summer we've got a potential £15-£20 million man at the club.I think it would be churlish to dismiss the notion of him getting an opportunity.

Offline King of the Nørth

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
What i will say for McLeish is that he's already showing the club and most importantly the fans more respect than Houllier ever did.Whatever Ireland the man is, he's got undoubted talent and needs a good man manager.With the figures being bandied around this summer we've got a potential £15-£20 million man at the club.I think it would be churlish to dismiss the notion of him getting an opportunity.

Agreed give him another chance till Jan transfer window I say. If it dont work out we have Banann and Delph who can both play there and will be eager to show him how to grab a lifeline, when offered.

Offline Jim Shoes

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »
Fuck him off, on a free transfer if necessary not only because he's a thick ManC loving loony chav.

He does NOT care about Villa or any of us. He does not deserve anyone's support, he had his chance and was awful.

Let's be honest here, ManC got rid because he wasn't good enough. He left because he got a shed load of money off ManC and we still paid his stupid wages, put no effort in when he was given the chance then left for Newcastle talking up how much he loved it up there and his dislike for Birmingham blah blah and hardly played a game for them because kept get injuries.

And some of you want the waste of space given another chance!! Unless you are trying to get Mcleish out then I understand otherwise it doesn't "compute"

That's a big NO from me :-)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
Can we sit him next to the pitch in a gunge tank and every time we score, he gets gunged?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal