collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 05:04:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:04:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 05:03:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:03:00 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Proposition Joe
[Today at 05:01:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 05:00:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villafirst
[Today at 05:00:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 04:59:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randys Reaction  (Read 39049 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Randys Reaction
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »
I like pretty much everyone was swept along in that euphoria of being rid of Doug, and bought hook line and sinker talk of reinstating us amongst the elite. Five years on I feel I've been sold a pup. For someone who couldn't put a foot wrong  initially he's looking more fallible by the day, mounting debt, poor managerial appointments. Not such a rosey picture now is it? I no longer believe he's the man for the job ,just as old Douglas wasn't before him. Five years is a long time and opinions are shaped by events, are they not? In adversity he's been found wanting in my eyes. I'd not be sad if he called it quits and sold up...       

You've reckoned it since day one, we're worse now that when he arrived and you want him to sell up. Yet you're only saying it now. Maybe in another five years you'll be able to say who he should sell to.

I didn't see it coming from day one I've never stated that, merely I was too willing to accept Lerner without really looking any deeper than he wasn't Doug. He's making a lot of cack handed decisions having proved so sure footed intially.There is a very Ellisian feel around VP lately. I'm sure my doubts would have surfaced earlier had I sought the opinions of Browns fans. As for who he sells to I don't have a list of prospective buyers, but I'm sure someone with the means would like the kudos that comes with owning a club in the English top flight. The very idea that there would be no takers should the club be put up for sale is a non sequitur, would they prove to be better owners is debatable.Please enlighten me as to the quantum leap forward we've taken during Mr Lerner's tenure? we're still a selling club, spiralling debt, no more trophies in the cabinet and now set up to become firmly entrenched midtable

We've had four years of progress, a fifth interrupted by a manager throwing a strop when finally asked to work under the same conditions as every other manager and a new appointment no-one can judge yet. Five months ago we smashed our transfer record. In the light of such evidence we're apparently no better off than we were under Ellis - the same Ellis who refused to sign a free transfer because we couldn't afford him.

You've thought it for some indeterminate time but only now will you say anything. There's a coincidence.

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
I like pretty much everyone was swept along in that euphoria of being rid of Doug, and bought hook line and sinker talk of reinstating us amongst the elite. Five years on I feel I've been sold a pup. For someone who couldn't put a foot wrong  initially he's looking more fallible by the day, mounting debt, poor managerial appointments. Not such a rosey picture now is it? I no longer believe he's the man for the job ,just as old Douglas wasn't before him. Five years is a long time and opinions are shaped by events, are they not? In adversity he's been found wanting in my eyes. I'd not be sad if he called it quits and sold up...       

You've reckoned it since day one, we're worse now that when he arrived and you want him to sell up. Yet you're only saying it now. Maybe in another five years you'll be able to say who he should sell to.

I didn't see it coming from day one I've never stated that, merely I was too willing to accept Lerner without really looking any deeper than he wasn't Doug. He's making a lot of cack handed decisions having proved so sure footed intially.There is a very Ellisian feel around VP lately. I'm sure my doubts would have surfaced earlier had I sought the opinions of Browns fans. As for who he sells to I don't have a list of prospective buyers, but I'm sure someone with the means would like the kudos that comes with owning a club in the English top flight. The very idea that there would be no takers should the club be put up for sale is a non sequitur, would they prove to be better owners is debatable.Please enlighten me as to the quantum leap forward we've taken during Mr Lerner's tenure? we're still a selling club, spiralling debt, no more trophies in the cabinet and now set up to become firmly entrenched midtable

Well as long as you're 'sure that someone with the means would like the kudos' then the bastard has surely got to sell!

Ruling families of Middle Eastern Oil States tend not to fancy buying football clubs in Birmingham that often, alas. Randy has pumped in a ton of money, had a bloody good go at getting us into the Champions league, and all the while shown a lot of respect for the history and tradition of the club. As much as we moan about ticket prices, ours still stand up to scrutiny when compared to other clubs in the top 10 of the league, which is pretty impressive when you consider the amount of cash he's put in.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »

We've had four years of progress, a fifth interrupted by a manager throwing a strop when finally asked to work under the same conditions as every other manager and a new appointment no-one can judge yet. Five months ago we smashed our transfer record. In the light of such evidence we're apparently no better off than we were under Ellis - the same Ellis who refused to sign a free transfer because we couldn't afford him.

You've thought it for some indeterminate time but only now will you say anything. There's a coincidence.

Until the signing of Darren Bent 5 years in, which was an emergency relegation avoiding measure, our record signing cost about £2.5m more than the £9.5m we paid for Juan Pablo Angel under Ellis 10 years ago.

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »
Under Lerner we've bought Young, Davies, Downing, NRC and Milner all for close to the £10m mark, plus Bent of course.

Angel was very much an exception in the Ellis years.

The point that Lerner has sanctioned and funded a level of spending unheard of in the days of the previous regime is valid.

Offline Risso

« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2011, 12:19:27 PM »
Under Lerner we've bought Young, Davies, Downing, NRC and Milner all for close to the £10m mark, plus Bent of course.

The point that Lerner has sanctioned and funded a level of spending unheard of in the days of the previous regime is valid.

It's all relative isn't it?  We spent big on JPA, Collymore, Merson and Balaban under Ellis.

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »
True. I'm pretty sure we've spent considerably more (net) in a fairly short period of time under Lerner though, even allowing for footballing inflation.

We've all seen the net spend figures whilst analysing O'Neil's transfer record. This hasn't exactly been reigned in since he left, given our activity in January. You can't seriously be claiming we spent a relatively similar amount under Ellis?

Offline Risso

« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2011, 12:49:50 PM »
True. I'm pretty sure we've spent considerably more (net) in a fairly short period of time under Lerner though, even allowing for footballing inflation.

We've all seen the net spend figures whilst analysing O'Neil's transfer record. This hasn't exactly been reigned in since he left, given our activity in January. You can't seriously be claiming we spent a relatively similar amount under Ellis?

I'm not no.  We have of course spent a fair bit under Randy.  It just a) hasn't been spent wisely, and b) isn't enough.

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
You're right. Although perhaps if it had been spent wisely, it might have been enough? Certainly for CL qualification, which could have led to more. A shame that we'll never know.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »

It's all relative isn't it?  We spent big on JPA, Collymore, Merson and Balaban under Ellis.

....and Stone, Watson. There is another common denominator there....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal