collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:22:22 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Poll: The Board - Will you back them or have they lost your support?  (Read 6702 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Poll: The Board - Will you back them or have they lost your support?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
If it *is* a lack of ambition, then that's heartbreaking, because I thought our board were as ambitious as us. Conversely, if they've genuinely picked who they think will create that stability and legacy at Villa Park, then fair play to them.

I guess only time will tell whether the fans were right to kick up such a fuss, or whether the board were right to stick to their guns.

I'm still with the board though. They still have done a LOT of good for Villa. At the worst, I think a lowering of ambition is painful, but not club-breaking.

The trouble is, though, these days perceived ambition = money spent. It's sad but true that Manchester City have changed the game since Randy arrived. It might be that clubs our size have only got one chance in every era to get to the top. Everton touched it and they seem to have been paying the price ever since. Newcastle got there and it almost ruined them. Spurs got there last season but we'll have to see what it cost them. We had our go, failed and now we have to re-group. 

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
I have lost faith with the board. They have mismanaged the last 12 months appallingly, continue to sell our best players and have somehow come to the conclusion that Alex MCLeish (who WILL get my support) is the best mand for the job.

I also despair at the alck of communciation of exactly what this so called vision is for the club. It wouldn;t hurt them to come out with the finer points of this vision so we cna buy into it. At the moment it just appears that Randy is planning on cutting expenditure with an appiintment of a manager who's appeal must be he will work with no money.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
We have sold or released a number of high earners who weren't regulars (Shorey,Davies,Sidwell,Reo-Coker,Carew) which seemed to be an issue so now let's see who goes and who comes in. We will know the extent of our ambitions by the end of this transfer window.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
I think we should back the board. They hadn't made too many mistakes. I still think we need a football person on board.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
I think the last eighteen months have all been about realigning expectations.  This appointment is another step in turning us back into the AVFC of the early years of this century.  Mid-table, not likely to go down, outside chance in a domestic cup. 

The more I consider where we are now, the more I believe my take on the Bent transfer back in January was accurate.  Lerner was protecting his investment. £20 million was better than possible relegation and the financial consequences thereof.  Comfortably staying in the Premier League is now the summit of the board's ambition. Don't expect anything more anytime soon. 

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »
I back them for now on past performance but Lerner's rapidly resembling Stan Laurel and not just in the looks department.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 07:25:42 PM »
Yes they have done well in addressing the infrastructure problems however they have been hopeless and useless in appointing Managers.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »
Another stupid question, we dont have choice. I dont think they know what they are doing. I support The Villa thats it.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »
I have backed the board to date because i have always believed in their ambition and their judgement, at the moment this appointment seems to bring both of those things into doubt.

As i think was said above, maybe their judgement is correct though if their ambition is mid table stability. This doesn't make me feel much better about the board though, because i want an owner of Aston Villa that wants to take us to competing at the top of the premiership and in the Champions League.

To me this just seems like a crazy appointment from a footballing perspective if that is your ambition, i think to progress we need to both spend heavily and develop the youth team, and follow a Barcelona type model of football development, and that means playing good, creative and attacking football. I don't think McLeish will bring that. I think Tony Cascarino pointed out today, it just doesn't make sense that we switched from the MON style of football to the Houllier style, were then 'supposedly' looking to bring in Martinez to continue that style of football, then we switch in a week to appointing McLeish who will, judging on recent evidence, switch us back to playing defensive and negative football.

I don't care a bit about the fact McLeish used to be the Birmingham City manager, to me this appointment signals the intent of the board, and it's an intent that signals it has given up and no longer believes it can compete at the top. If an owner came along then that seriously had that intent i would welcome them with open arms and bid farewell to Mr Lerner and Co, though i do appreciate what they have done to date.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »
Spot on Dribbler

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
If it *is* a lack of ambition, then that's heartbreaking, because I thought our board were as ambitious as us. Conversely, if they've genuinely picked who they think will create that stability and legacy at Villa Park, then fair play to them.

I guess only time will tell whether the fans were right to kick up such a fuss, or whether the board were right to stick to their guns.

I'm still with the board though. They still have done a LOT of good for Villa. At the worst, I think a lowering of ambition is painful, but not club-breaking.

The trouble is, though, these days perceived ambition = money spent. It's sad but true that Manchester City have changed the game since Randy arrived. It might be that clubs our size have only got one chance in every era to get to the top. Everton touched it and they seem to have been paying the price ever since. Newcastle got there and it almost ruined them. Spurs got there last season but we'll have to see what it cost them. We had our go, failed and now we have to re-group. 

Dave, I wouldn't mind being patient and regrouping. In a way, Villa seem to have been regrouping ever since I've supported them. I would just like the assurance that there is a long term plan in place to try and get back to the top. The events of these last two weeks have given the impression that there isn't much of a plan at all. I think that's the painful bit, we *were* close, but now, not only do we seem to be scaling back but in a clueless manner also.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal