collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Infrastructure  (Read 12377 times)

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
Re: Aston Villa Infrastructure
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
It's glaringly obvious that they're missing someone with football know-how

That might be unhelpful in a manager search. If we really approached Ancelotti and Benitez, I'd imagine that one of the first thoughts they'll have is: "Do these people know what they are talking about?" And if the answer isn't "yes", then they might not be too interested in the job.

Offline rutski

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »
I do think Villa are lacking some sort of ambassador who is recognised in the football world, a la Quinn at Sunderland rather than the fella at Man City.

What is Graham Taylor up to?  He comes across as a pretty charming man when on TV and knows the game and club inside out.

If he is a bit old school and not SKY TV enough then I'd like to see Southgate given a role at the club.  He has good media relations working as a pundit and journalist.  He is currently at the FA in some sort of duel role as an ambassador between the FA and clubs trying to form better relationships whilst also working with Brooking strategically planning the youth set up.  Basically ideal for Villa.
sunderland are doing great arent they?? just because niall quinn sounds good on the telly and radio doesnt mean he has the business acumen that is required to be the best at his job!
I know how long randy had been metting mon to sort out the running of the club, i can therefore understand his due dilligence in appointing houllier. this due dilligence in appointing a new manager who fits our club will serve us right in the long term.

regards Niall Quinn. I have total admiration for him as a man, in fact my second boy is named after him due to my late irish mothers reverence of him! no personal slagging off there!

Offline Simba

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
Sorry. Fed up with this debate.

Mostly fed up with the constant critical attacck on the Club and its management considering the position we find ourselves in.

It takes time to make the corrrect decision. It takes time to resolve the massive problem management is confronted with.

How many of us have either suffered an interview or interviewed candidates for a job. We never know if we made the right decision until the next financial year. And then have to make a decision on whether the shortfall if any is short term. Or success the same. What, and blame their problem if any on the person WE employed?!

Let them get on with it. Forget the Press and their scantily clad opinions.

I have personally, (which means nothing)  certain opinions but they are based on no knowledge whatsoever pertaining to the contracts, meetings and decisions that the Club are attempting to make.

I have, as a supporter, plenty of opinions but no powers. Love the debate for fun. But will leave the owners to their decision. I say : Ignore the Press except when necessary to protect the Club. Make progress against the short list.

They have done this and quickly.
And I trust them to do the job. After forty years of certain management at Aston Villa  - with this lot- I actually do. I Trust them. Do what you feel is right is my message to this particular management group.

If certain members of this site consider that pejoritive to the doubters. Put your money in and buy the place. Or simply support those that did. Or more simply still - offer mature opinions.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
What is all this 'approaching a manager' and 'interview process' nonesense?

Surely for such a position Aston Villa should be HEADHUNTING potential managers? - It's simple.

Choose your Number 1 target, approach that club. By all means do it properly, but be a little more aggressive about it. If No1 target is then not availabe, you approach the next on your list.

Offline Simba

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »
Paul, you are right. But isn't that what we are doing?
I mean Aston Villa must be one of the top twenty at least, managerial positions on the planet.
Take the German league, Spanish, Italian in fact all European and add the South American clubs. Then add financial return and cudos. Premier league is the aim.

Top Four so called- Alex aside, top six. Aston Villa won f... all for many years but but Christ we are ready. Stadium, support etc. We should be a  special Club. Not a  Man U but special for a manager. ( Who would want to take over from Sir Alex?). Special for a manager to  give us the success we feel we deserve. A great opportunity.

I honestly do trust current management to solve this but simply cannot understand why we are not inundated with applications. Not because we are, or have been recently massively successful but because there is nothing to stop us being so. Ok Financials I agree but that is a case of creating the happy spiral. I mean what manager has anything to lose here? Any success is a bonus.

Why are we such a poisened chalice.? Paul- much as we like to think so, we are not one of the Golden Clubs and cannot attract the Jose's of the World but I am sure we will become one of them. Soon. With the right Manager.And correct management.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »
I do think Villa are lacking some sort of ambassador who is recognised in the football world, a la Quinn at Sunderland rather than the fella at Man City.

What is Graham Taylor up to?  He comes across as a pretty charming man when on TV and knows the game and club inside out.

If he is a bit old school and not SKY TV enough then I'd like to see Southgate given a role at the club.  He has good media relations working as a pundit and journalist.  He is currently at the FA in some sort of duel role as an ambassador between the FA and clubs trying to form better relationships whilst also working with Brooking strategically planning the youth set up.  Basically ideal for Villa.

Sir Graham's Watford chairman. Southgate would be good.

Does it even need to be a Villa man? David Dein is doing nothing.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 05:15:33 AM »
Is David Dein actually a football man or has he just worked in football for a long time.  As a replacement for Faulkner definitely yes, but personally I haven't a clue whether faulkner is good, or bad or whatever.

I suggested Southgate to complement Faulkner's skills rather than replace him.  Plus the added bonus that he could assist with some footballing aspects.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
The Independent's take on why we're looking for a manager on the cheap
Everything in the press and a lot written on here is pure speculation. What is annoying is so much is written as if they know.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »

I always look at the comments after such pieces, love this one, very clever:

"but ye, if da aston villa villainz want da team on da cheap den mark hugh aint dat man!!! it seem 2 Kstand dat him and him welshly mateys walk out da cottage finking dat da villa fellas say 'hugh!!! u got da nicey suit wiv da snmart trouser, come and manage da villainz and stand lookin smart in dem trouser in da villainz dugout!!' but no, dem say 'ye, u got da nicey trouser, but u also got da foolish mateys and u useless'. now hugh dont hav no job coz him da deludey fella, lol."

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
Risso, u bin down wiv de boyz?

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »
Someone on here suggested Southgate, is that the same Southgate who left us for the mighty Middlesborough because we wernt good enough, no thank you.

Offline cdward

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2011, 12:40:06 PM »
I admit, that's the way I was thinking about last seasons summer transfer window, but the signings of Bent and Makoun for 30M kind of blows that theory out of the water. I think we all know our spending will be more conservative, Anyway, who really thinks 55m on Carroll and Henderson is going to give a better return on investment than Bent and Makoun. that article is telling us what we already know. So we won't have the transfer budget of citeh, Chelsea or manure. I still think Randy wants the same as us, we just have to get it the old fashioned way, by having a good manager.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:46:52 PM by cdward »

Offline Iago

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »
Steve Stride? Did he not help form the MK Dons?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
Steve Stride was a member of the three-man Football Association commission who in 2002 voted for Wimbledon F.C. to be allowed to relocate to Milton Keynes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal