collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by rob_bridge
[Today at 09:20:49 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Champions League Contention by rob_bridge
[Today at 09:13:41 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by Astnor
[Today at 09:04:02 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Legion
[Today at 09:03:15 AM]

Diego Carlos by rougegorge
[Today at 08:59:15 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Drummond
[Today at 08:55:54 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nigel Reo Coker and his limitations/attributes  (Read 24338 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Nige Reo Coker and his limitations
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
I was surprised in Makoun in that sense. I like the way he plays, simple, short passes, keeps the ball moving, but I'd expected him to be more combative.

I don't think he's put in more than a couple of tackles whenever I've seen him play

The modern defensive midfielder is less about tackling as he is about taking up the right positions, tracking runs and 'staying on your feet'.  With a genuine holding player alongside him I think Makoun will do this fine and we'd then benefit from his other atributes as a deep lying playmaker.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2011, 02:03:18 PM »
I was surprised in Makoun in that sense. I like the way he plays, simple, short passes, keeps the ball moving, but I'd expected him to be more combative.

I don't think he's put in more than a couple of tackles whenever I've seen him play

Agreed and of those two tackles, he was sent off for one of them.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
I think Makoun would actually compliment NRC very well in a midfield three. It's the third (attacking) one I think is trickier to identify. I had hoped it would be Ireland. Maybe Bannan?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Nigel Reo Coker and his limitations/attributes
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
Delph likes a tackle (or a mistimed one to be more accurate!)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
I realise he's a centre half but I wouldn't mind Clark being given a go there. Reads the game very well, understands the defensive side, can tackle  and can play a bit. In fact, if GH goes, I might apply for the job myself.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2011, 12:02:42 AM »
Clark would do great there Mark. In fact I liked him when he played midfield this season, and in a 3 I think he could be very effective, and get 7-8 goals.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
Think Reo Coker is a very effective player. Utterly stupid letting him go on a Bosman, give him 50k a week and if we decide to sell him next summer we will easily make back the additional wages in what another side will pay upfront for him. He has earned himself a better deal with his performances this season anyway.

It's not so simple, though, and you hinted why.

Another side will pay money up front for him in a year or so if he signs another contract with us, but as things stand now, with him being a free agent, he can go somewhere for his 50k a week AND get a big upfront payment to himself from his new club, so why would he take the new deal with us and let us cop for the payout in a year's time?

I think he wants to stay, he could have signed a pre contract with any other side from Jan 1st this season as far as I'm aware.

Money wise, yeah he should probably leave. But the club should sign him up on the basis of finance alone aswell - as if he is crap next season we could probably still sell him for 5m or so. If its another 10k a week he wants - 500,000 a year extra - we will cover than 10 times over with the transfer fee when we sell him.

To be honest I think its a no brainer.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2011, 02:17:31 AM »
Never worked out what the g stood for Was it good or going WW ?
Shall we make it "gay" and start a whole new thread ? ..........

Offline RonBurgundy

• GM : 17.07.2019
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
Think Reo Coker is a very effective player. Utterly stupid letting him go on a Bosman, give him 50k a week and if we decide to sell him next summer we will easily make back the additional wages in what another side will pay upfront for him. He has earned himself a better deal with his performances this season anyway.

Another side will pay money up front for him in a year or so if he signs another contract with us, but as things stand now, with him being a free agent, he can go somewhere for his 50k a week AND get a big upfront payment to himself from his new club, so why would he take the new deal with us and let us cop for the payout in a year's time?

I think he wants to stay, he could have signed a pre contract with any other side from Jan 1st this season as far as I'm aware.

Money wise, yeah he should probably leave. But the club should sign him up on the basis of finance alone aswell - as if he is crap next season we could probably still sell him for 5m or so. If its another 10k a week he wants - 500,000 a year extra - we will cover than 10 times over with the transfer fee when we sell him.

You're assuming it's another 10K he wants per week - i saw on another site a suggestion of 80k a week he's after - if this is the case then i can't imagine we'll be that accomodating, and neither should we.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
Hard to believe that a Centre Midfielder hasn't scored a goal at his home ground for the team he's played for over the past 4 years.

Petrov's only got two Villa Park goals hasn't he?

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:40 AM »

You're assuming it's another 10K he wants per week - i saw on another site a suggestion of 80k a week he's after - if this is the case then i can't imagine we'll be that accomodating, and neither should we.

Plus if you give in to NRC, then a few other players want to have a comparative level of wages, and in the end it could cost you another £100k a week to keep four or five players happy. The clues in the phrase 'wage structure' - change one element, like NRC, and suddenly everyone wants an uplift.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:18:14 AM by Mr Diggles »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal