collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Downing to stay ! (I hope)  (Read 14784 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Downing to stay ! (I hope)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
Good news indeed.

Now to start looking for a replacement for Young.

We've already got Young's replacement in Allbrighton. Better end product, without the on-field tantrums and the snood!

Albrighton is a good prospect who has had a handful of good games for us but he's got a way to go to be considered as a full time replacement for Young.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »
Good news indeed.

Now to start looking for a replacement for Young.

We've already got Young's replacement in Allbrighton. Better end product, without the on-field tantrums and the snood!

Albrighton is a good prospect who has had a handful of good games for us but he's got a way to go to be considered as a full time replacement for Young.
Especially after last Saturday, he was bloody awful.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
Downing has backed it up more than most with his performances on the pitch . Bit harsh to lump him in the the Petrovs and Dunnes.

Harsh to lump Petrov with Dunne, when Petrov has been out of the team for a large chunk of the season - performances, and results, with him in the middle have generally been better IMO.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
Sign Downing up & give him the armband. (unless we sign a better option).

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
In the Wigan game there was one passage when Downing had moved inside with the ball looking for a lay off, Heskey,Bent and one other Villa player were standing less than a couple of feet apart giving a good impression of Roman statues. Downing is one player that is always moving into space, we need a few more like him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Downing
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
Alright Polyanna!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »
Albrighton could and in my opinion will be a replacement for Young, at least in the respect that he will be a first choice winger. You have to remember this is his first season of regular senior football and he has done fantastically well. I've been a big fan of his for a while now. Sometimes he tries too hard and gets in a tiz, he's so desperate to do well. I like that.
He'll mature and become quite lethal over the next few years, I'm sure.

However, it's too much to completely rely on him right now and there needs to be viable alternatives to himself and Downing so we'll need at least one decent wide player coming in and possibly two.
I think players like N'Zogbia, Marveaux, Jarvis, Larrson, Chamberlain... possibly even Walcott (if Arsenal have a rethink) may be on the cards.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »
Hopefully our players are learning from the Milner experience.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:19:11 PM by aftab235 »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 12:49:29 PM »
Albrighton could and in my opinion will be a replacement for Young, at least in the respect that he will be a first choice winger. You have to remember this is his first season of regular senior football and he has done fantastically well. I've been a big fan of his for a while now. Sometimes he tries too hard and gets in a tiz, he's so desperate to do well. I like that.
He'll mature and become quite lethal over the next few years, I'm sure.

However, it's too much to completely rely on him right now and there needs to be viable alternatives to himself and Downing so we'll need at least one decent wide player coming in and possibly two.
I think players like N'Zogbia, Marveaux, Jarvis, Larrson, Chamberlain... possibly even Walcott (if Arsenal have a rethink) may be on the cards.
You're probably right but if funds are tight this is not top priority. Top priority, IMO, is for goalkeeping and defensive improvements. Next season may well be another transitional one, where the youff move from potential to realisation - the likes of Bannan, Clark, Weimann, Gardner, Hogg et al show whether they really can cut it at the top level. Having the defence and GK sorted - and having senior players like Downing, Bent, GA, LY and CC demonstrating leadership, commitment and expansive  play - will enable us to transition effectively back toward a top 5-6 position and then onwards.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »
Downing has always said that he's happy at Villa and he's grateful for us taking a huge gamble on him when he has injured. He isn't about to walk out, and he's only going if we get a mental offer. Even then I think we'd look to kep him as he's got the exact attitude if we are to recover from this season. He's a great role model.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 01:08:33 PM »
You're probably right but if funds are tight this is not top priority. Top priority, IMO, is for goalkeeping and defensive improvements. Next season may well be another transitional one, where the youff move from potential to realisation - the likes of Bannan, Clark, Weimann, Gardner, Hogg et al show whether they really can cut it at the top level. Having the defence and GK sorted - and having senior players like Downing, Bent, GA, LY and CC demonstrating leadership, commitment and expansive  play - will enable us to transition effectively back toward a top 5-6 position and then onwards.

I agree.

We need to totally rebuild the spine of the side, so a new keeper, leader/organiser CB, and dominant midfielder and required.  After that we need to look at the fullback positons and find two with attacking intent to keep up with the modern game.  I might settle for 1 here and get another season of of Luke Young.  Do that and we can cope with the likely departures (Dunne, NRC, Heskey, Warnock) with the kids getting more game time as they take their squad places.  Only one who will need replacing is Ash Young, but with a good fee coming in for him that should hopefully more or less pay for itself.  This will probably be the glamour signing of the summer, and a key indicator of what formation we'll play in 2011/2012, but won't do nearly as much to improve us as the other signings.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:11:04 PM by John M »

Offline Merv

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 01:31:26 PM »
I agree as well in terms of priority signings: I'd be happy with Albrighton and Downing as our starting wingers next season. We'd just need to add someone relatively cheap as back-up; maybe that's Larsson on a free, maybe it's the Blackburn lad Martin Olsson. Maybe - big maybe - if Wolves go down Jarvis is gettable for a reasonable amount. But we'd need someone to play wide because I don't who else we have in the reserves who can fill in, and we're light in those positions in the senior squad. And we can't expect Albrighton and Downing to each play the whole season.

As for Downing, I'm pleased: I didn't see him going anywhere this summer and was beginning to get concerned hearing speculation he might be moving on.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
Although not ideal, I could see Delph or Bannan filling in there if needed.  Plus Ash's replacement may well be the type of striker/attacking midfielder who could also play wide if needed.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »
It's not going to happen this way but apart from Downing, Bent, Gabby possibly and the kids I'm not overly bothered about who we keep from the current crop.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 02:28:30 PM »
Downing has backed it up more than most with his performances on the pitch . Bit harsh to lump him in the the Petrovs and Dunnes.

Harsh to lump Petrov with Dunne, when Petrov has been out of the team for a large chunk of the season - performances, and results, with him in the middle have generally been better IMO.

Well yeah - fair point. But would be harsh to lump me in with UsualSuspect in the lumping in stakes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal