collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The 5 Year Plan  (Read 24822 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The 5 Year Plan
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »
The five year plan...did this ever exist?

"I don't know where it came from...you can't have a plan as such because no-one can anticipate what's going to happen with other clubs."

Care to guess who said that?

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 10:11:53 PM »
It would appear he's just feeding us a bunch of bullshit that varies depending on his mood then.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
It's one thing to have a plan. It's quite another to know where you've put it.

Offline ez

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »
I believe one of the reasons Houllier was appointed was for his champions league experience which made me think Randy was still confident of challenging for it this season. After this seasons meltdown we can safely say the five year plan is dead in the water.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
Doesn't matter if we had a plan or not, he gave the wrong man the money and now we're paying for it. Well randy is. If only you could rewind time 5 years and get back the 100m. ah well....

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 10:25:40 PM »
I believe one of the reasons Houllier was appointed was for his champions league experience which made me think Randy was still confident of challenging for it this season. After this seasons meltdown we can safely say the five year plan is dead in the water.

I think the main reason Houllier was appointed was because, in the first few weeks of the season, the list of other possible candidates was absolutely pathetic, and, whilst it was clearly a shit appointment, I think we sometimes forget this when looking back.

Bob Bradley? Curbishley. Sven?

*shudder*

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »

I think the main reason Houllier was appointed was because, in the first few weeks of the season, the list of other possible candidates was absolutely pathetic, and, whilst it was clearly a shit appointment, I think we sometimes forget this when looking back.

Bob Bradley? Curbishley. Sven?

*shudder*

The bookmaking industry had this list on the day O'Neill left.

1. Curbishley A 3/1
   2. BIlic S 6/1
   3. McClaren S 8/1
   4. Moyes D 12/1
   5. Shearer A 12/1
   6. Davies B 16/1
   7. Houillier G 16/1
   8. Klinnsmann J 16/1
   9. Di Matteo R 16/1
  10. Smith W 20/1
  11. Jol M 20/1
  12. Hoddle G 25/1
  13. Dublin D 50/1
  14. Gray A 66/1
  15. Morley Tony 200/1

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 10:45:26 PM »
It is the names that linger the longest which are the more significant.

On the day he left, that list would have been chucked together by some trader with a page to fill. As time passed, the prices would have started to follow the money.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
I didn't really buy into the '5 year plan' to be honest.  In that time we've gone from nowhere to competitive, then back again.  In the main i think we've made progress and that does come at a price.  Everyone realises this season is a write off, and therefore who we bring in this summer and our performances next season will tell us more about where we really are.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »
You can not plan for five years in football, because you get things like Man City happening, and throwing a gigantic spanner in the works. Closer to home, you get things like O'Neill flouncing off at zero notice, too.

There are far too many random elements to throw into play.

A five year objective is one thing, and something we should have. Any plan to achieve it would have to be very, very general indeed.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 10:50:10 PM »
.  Everyone realises this season is a write off, and therefore who we bring in this summer and our performances next season will tell us more about where we really are.
Correct

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »

On the day he left, that list would have been chucked together by some trader with a page to fill. As time passed, the prices would have started to follow the money.

That market had been running for some time.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »

You just said it was the day O'Neill left.

That is not some time, and that market would have taken bugger all money at that point.

If you mean the market was running before he left, then that's of pretty much zero import anyway, as his departure would have meant the market starting afresh in any case
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:54:59 PM by pauliebentnuts »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
You can not plan for five years in football, because you get things like Man City happening, and throwing a gigantic spanner in the works. Closer to home, you get things like O'Neill flouncing off at zero notice, too.

There are far too many random elements to throw into play.

A five year objective is one thing, and something we should have. Any plan to achieve it would have to be very, very general indeed.

Not sure I agree.

There's no point knowing where you want to end up if you don't know how to get there.  You can't plan for a Man City so there's no point trying.  Instead, you just concentrate on what you can do and I genuinely think that's what the board have done so far by investing in the training set up, the corporate hospitality, the matchday experience, and most importantly the players.

Unfortunately all this was buggered up by appointing the wrong manager in le Gaffeur.  Hopefully he hasn't done so much damage that the next manager can't quickly get us back on track.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »

You just said it was the day O'Neill left.

That is not some time, and that market would have taken bugger all money at that point.

If you mean the market was running before he left, then that's of pretty much zero import anyway, as his departure would have meant the market starting afresh in any case

No it wouldn't.  Lots of bookies run markets on the next permanent manager of football clubs.  We've had one running for months.  Moyes is evens at the moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal