collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:08:28 PM]

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:04:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:01:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this all too rare? (0% Villa)  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
Is this all too rare? (0% Villa)
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »
In Cologne next week and decided to go to the Cologne - Schalke last home match of the season with my wife Contacted Cologne but sold out with a month to go, suggested I try their ticket exchange system, kept looking but only single tickets available. Tried an alternative and contacted Schalke to see if they had any tickets, no reply. A week later out of the blue some bloke from Schalke Fan Club emailed me and said he may be able to get a couple of tickets and let me know today.

Bingo, he contacts me today, tickets to be picked up at stadium from mobile info stand. This guy doesn't know me from Adam and he has gone out of his way to help, is this normal in the footballing fraternity and would we be so helpful?

Sorry for those who found this boring!

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
Re: Is this all too rare? (0% Villa)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »
Fair play to him.

I went to Leverkusen - Cologne in December, Cologne are pretty awful but the atmosphere was fabulous.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:33 PM »
Schalke are the fans club, huge following and great rapport with the players... you will have a great time

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:52:10 AM »
I have been stuck a couple in the past with tickets when running a supporters club. Peope saying yes, but then changing their minds etc. So depending on how much the tickets cost, I will go out of my way to get a buyer. Spent a first date once going to and fro on the phone with a ticket for a guy from America. It was a frigging nightmare!! The girl thought I had another girlfriend.

Sorry, that doesn't sound good. Yes, it was very nice of the guy from the supporters club.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:59:56 AM »
That's certainly a gratifying story, but I wouldn't say that sort of thing is rare in Germany at all. Like here, there's a general acceptance among decent football fans that people help each other out with tickets and only sell them at face value. Of course, some people try to make a profit, but that's generally frowned upon.

Being a Duisburg fan, I have very little time for either 1. FC Köln or Schalke (who we face in the German Cup Final on 21 May), but enjoy your day out. It's a good ground in Cologne and to be fair to them their support is impressive, at least in terms of numbers. In attitude, they are completely deluded about their status - the German equivalent of the Geordies to my mind.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:23:33 AM »
The German fan projects are - or were - government-backed, so it might be his job to do it.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
Villa (or H&V) also has characters like that :)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »
I've been doing a little bit of research into 'Fanprojekte' in Germany for some coursework, and will be doing a lot more for my dissertation next year. There's a lot we could learn from them.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
I've been doing a little bit of research into 'Fanprojekte' in Germany for some coursework, and will be doing a lot more for my dissertation next year. There's a lot we could learn from them.

Indeed there is, though they do vary from club to club. Overall they're a definite force for good in the game, especially as far as younger fans are concerned. The fact that they exist and are part-funded by the German Football association (as well as the state and the clubs) is indicative of the more socially-minded and inclusive attitude to football in Germany compared to here.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
Ahhhh yes..... those wonderful socially inclusive germans ;-)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »
There's a lot we can learn from the Germans and not just about football.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
There's a lot we can learn from the Germans and not just about football.

You got that right! I'd love us to resign from the preeeeemieship and play in their league.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »
I've a good mate who was born and bred a Schalke fan. Gelsenkirchen is a friendly equivalent of Wallsall.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
Nothing friendly about the game though, Koln fans trying to get over the plastic dividing wall at the taunting Schalke fans. Schalke 'Ultras' burning Koln scarves and banners, fighting with the stewards and the police stood and watched it going on. Forgot what it was like to sit next to peole who smoke their way through games, although having a beer in the stands whilst watching the game is a bonus. Massive standing area at the Koln end, can't see why it can't be ressurected for the English game, but that's a debate done to death. One thing puzzled me that the majority thought our shirt was Arsenal, only one kid knew it was the Villa. All in all an interesting experience although the football really was shite!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal