collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by olaftab
[Today at 03:26:32 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:24:02 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 03:26:32 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 03:25:24 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:24:02 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by olaftab
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: RIP the 96  (Read 21504 times)

Offline Hoppo

Re: RIP the 96
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
Just a question? not being offensive but why do we have this every year and nothing 'national' regarding for instance The Bradford fire victims?

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
From what I remember about the Taylor report, it wasn't ticketless fans, but the build up of fans arriving just before the kick-off with too few turnstiles open to accommodate them all at Leppings Lane.

Pressure was building up outside, with the atmosphere turning to irritation/anger as the kick off approached. There was also crushing outside.

The Police opened a large gate to ease the pressure and let people in. This surge wasn't directed inside the ground and so the fans headed for the most obvious entrance to the terrace, which was the tunnel leading to the already full pens at the Leppings Lane.

It was a sad chain of events that could be traced back to the day the teams were drawn together.

As for justice and blame there are too many groups that could have responsibility attached, the Police, the FA, the clubs involved, the Government of the day and football fans, whose behaviour around the country and Europe had led the authorities to view them in worse possible light at every occasion.

It was a horrible sickening day and I still can remember it as if it was yesterday.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
Just a question? not being offensive but why do we have this every year and nothing 'national' regarding for instance The Bradford fire victims?
I think this was the one that changed football completely wwith regards to all seter, all tickets, no gates etc. The Bradford fire was tragic, 4 minutes it took for the stand to burn down, all disasters deserve huge recognition and each one is a terrible tragedy

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »

Because the reasons for the Bradford disaster are all in the open, rubbish allowed to collect under a wooden stand and the disasterous decision to padlock fire exits at the back of the stand.
There was also a better response to Bradford from the emergency services.
Nobody has tried to shift the blame for Bradford on anyone else, it was what it was, a tragic accident.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »
The tragedy happened because all the Police were interested in was crowd control not crowd safety.

What other was there for just standing there once the crush was building up and forcing people back into the pens?

They acted like the scum they'd trained to be. The only difference is that they lied about everything and have done everything to cover it up.

I also have no idea that how you can prove that ticket less fans rushed and open gate.  Since no one was checking the tickets how could it be proved they didn't have one?  It can't.  It was just another lie.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »
Why dont we get memorial services for the Bradford fire victims though?

Offline Nigel Macdougall

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »
The tragedy happened because all the Police were interested in was crowd control not crowd safety.

What other was there for just standing there once the crush was building up and forcing people back into the pens?

They acted like the scum they'd trained to be. The only difference is that they lied about everything and have done everything to cover it up.

I also have no idea that how you can prove that ticket less fans rushed and open gate.  Since no one was checking the tickets how could it be proved they didn't have one?  It can't.  It was just another lie.

I know I might have only 126 posts in 6 years,but is your post not a bit libellous ?

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:25 PM »

They do.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2011, 09:42:40 PM »

I know I might have only 126 posts in 6 years,but is your post not a bit libellous ?

If David Duckinfield was intersted in sueing, I'd happily stand in the busiest part of the country handing out photocopies of this in fluorescent bold capitals while reading it out through a loudhailer.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:44:04 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2011, 10:04:46 PM »

I'd like to hear from an ex police man who used to police football in the 70s and 80s to see what he would make of this post. From what I've read and seen and heard I suspect it wasn't an easy job and the police were more sinned against than sinners. Why does this type of discussion always turn a blind eye to the culpability of fans in all this and specifically why the police felt the need to herd people around - I am not talikng about Hillsboro specifically here but football supporters in the 70s and 80s generally.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »

I'd like to hear from an ex police man who used to police football in the 70s and 80s to see what he would make of this post. From what I've read and seen and heard I suspect it wasn't an easy job and the police were more sinned against than sinners. Why does this type of discussion always turn a blind eye to the culpability of fans in all this and specifically why the police felt the need to herd people around - I am not talikng about Hillsboro specifically here but football supporters in the 70s and 80s generally.

I could tell you what Peter Garratt, Liverpool supporter and former policeman says. It's much the same as we do. To re-re-re-re-rereiterate, the supporters on the day were about 1% to blame, if that.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
could you imagine if they'd had this kettling tactic back then.  could have been thousands killed by the time they realised

Offline nadz3488

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2011, 07:14:10 PM »
RIP

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
Fair play to all those who have heroically stuck to the task of keeping the campaign alive.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »
It's a good point.This is a horrible thing to say but true.
Liverpool were the worlds biggest club at the time.
I would think more people thought the Valley hosted Rugby League than football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal