collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 02:29:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:28:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 02:25:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Questions for Gary Shaw  (Read 11778 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Questions for Gary Shaw
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »
I hope not. He's really gone down in my opinion if so.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
Wasn't it GT who let him leave the club? Does anyone know if there was harsh words when it happened? Surely he doesnt bare grudges after all these years.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »
Gary Shaw played for Graham Taylor. I remember Taylor describing him as the best finisher at the club when he first came. Shaw was struggling back from injury but played at least once for GT in the second division. I have a memory of him playing in midfield at Villa Park - it was a sad sight.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »
Gary Shaw played for Graham Taylor. I remember Taylor describing him as the best finisher at the club when he first came. Shaw was struggling back from injury but played at least once for GT in the second division. I have a memory of him playing in midfield at Villa Park - it was a sad sight.

He played in the 1-0 win against Ipswich Town (in the 2nd Division) when Keown seemed to head it in from the half way line and then the fog came down and you could barely see hte other goal by the 90th minute. Gary played and looked like a player without any confidence, he had a few chances but nothing clear cut and after that I can't remember bhim playing much. Such a shame as he was somthing special!

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »

He played in the 1-0 win against Ipswich Town (in the 2nd Division) when Keown seemed to head it in from the half way line and then the fog came down and you could barely see hte other goal by the 90th minute. Gary played and looked like a player without any confidence, he had a few chances but nothing clear cut and after that I can't remember bhim playing much. Such a shame as he was somthing special!

Yep,hence my username,i honestly believe our history wouldve been different if he hadnt got injured,we havent produced a player like him since,may never again.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »
Dwight Yorke?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »

Yep,hence my username,i honestly believe our history wouldve been different if he hadnt got injured,we havent produced a player like him since,may never again.

The best tribute to Gary Shaw that I remember was written by Bill Shankly in the Sports Argus around 1981 when he said he would be the best British striker since Denis Law.

Offline littlevillain

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 10:22:21 PM »
Gary,

Did you really head a brick during your days at Park Hall school?
he went to kingshurst comp not park hall

Offline richardb

• Only ever want 3 pts
    • Birchography
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »
Funny how people's encounters, recollections and memories vary. Shaw finshed up his career just as I started going to games, and my only 'live' encounter with him was in a Harborne pub. I was about to drive a Fiat Panda from UK to Mongolia for Charity. The club had donated shirts to me by way of sponsorship (to raffle, give away, whatever). Seeing Shaw was in the pub, I explained the cause and asked him if he might please sign a couple of them.

He tried to charge me.

Enough said.

Legend he may be, but like its what you do as a person that counts most. Lasting impression left, and not a good one.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 02:46:01 AM »
Funny how people's encounters, recollections and memories vary. Shaw finshed up his career just as I started going to games, and my only 'live' encounter with him was in a Harborne pub. I was about to drive a Fiat Panda from UK to Mongolia for Charity. The club had donated shirts to me by way of sponsorship (to raffle, give away, whatever). Seeing Shaw was in the pub, I explained the cause and asked him if he might please sign a couple of them.

He tried to charge me.

Enough said.

Legend he may be, but like its what you do as a person that counts most. Lasting impression left, and not a good one.

Wow that is a surprising insight.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 07:12:52 AM »
Definitely. He was more than happy to sign a shirt I asked him to at the most recent Old Stars match.

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
He played in an era when after his career ended he was probably faced with the necessity to work, I can recall being told that he was a rep with Bass for a time, whether that's right or not I couldn't say, but as we all know there was certainly a different pay structure in place back then and given how young Shaw was when he had to give up the game, I'm sure he had to make a living in some capacity....perhaps times were hard and signing shirts was an opportunity to earn a little cash.....

Irrespective of charging to sign shirts or not, Shaw is indisputably a legend, I'm sure we'd all agree on that.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
Did you know you that in 1982 (and thereabouts) you lived just 400 *yards* from Bad English? (Castle Bromwich, you were in Kingsleigh Drive)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal