collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:27:52 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 08:27:07 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:23:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:23:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:20:07 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by jon collett
[Today at 08:19:03 PM]

Re: Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 08:17:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:15:59 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will GH last the season?  (Read 48792 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Will GH last the season?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »
I take your point chris ,I myself have been guilty of overreacting in the heat of emotion after a defeat and now try to take at least a couple of hours before visiting a post match thread.
Never seen anything wrong with that eastie.
It shows passion and that you care.

Ignore the finger wagging beard strokers on here, there's nothing wrong with being a bad loser.

Offline eastie

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »
You are right fletch!

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 10:22:40 AM »
Of course he will last the season, but the question is, is he the man for Villa next season.

I am of the opinion that if he keeps us up or not, he should be on his bicyclette.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 10:23:44 AM »
Of course he will last the season, but the question is, is he the man for Villa next season.

I am of the opinion that if he keeps us up or not, he should be on his bicyclette.
*strokes beard and nods in agreement*

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
I take your point chris ,I myself have been guilty of overreacting in the heat of emotion after a defeat and now try to take at least a couple of hours before visiting a post match thread.
Never seen anything wrong with that eastie.
It shows passion and that you care.

Ignore the finger wagging beard strokers on here, there's nothing wrong with being a bad loser.

The worst losers in the league are Man Utd. I can't see their fans squabbling among themselves about an over-reaction to their manager creaming his boxers at Anfield (for example).

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
If on Saturday evening we have 23 points from our last 24 games and have been beaten at home by Wolves - arguably the easiest fixture we have left to play this season - I think he should go.

That wouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction, it would be a reasonable reaction to a desperate situation that Le Gaffeur appears unable to deal with.

Having said that, if we do beat Wolves the board can and probably should wait till the end of the season.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »

I don't think that is Randy's style. I think he will recognise the unique set of circumstances that GH has had to work under this season. I expect them to sit down together when it is over and if both still share the same vision he wil back him again.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 10:43:46 AM »

I'm convinced GH is driving support away from B6

Crowds aren't significantly down given our league position and the fact that people are economising everywhere.

Offline eastie

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
That's true dave, but I think a lot of season ticket holders may think seriously about whether to renew or just pick their games - I believe there are signs of improvement and hope but I do believe quite a few people are still very angry about the lack of ambition shown with the cup game and that may have a bigger impact than some may think when it comes to whether to renew or not.

I believe in houllier but I think that was a major misjudgement that night .

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 11:09:47 AM »
 Chris Smith: --- Quote from: TimTheVillain on Today at 10:22:40 AM ---Of course he will last the season, but the question is, is he the man for Villa next season.I am of the opinion that if he keeps us up or not, he should be on his bicyclette.--- End quote ---I don't think that is Randy's style. I think he will recognise the unique set of circumstances that GH has had to work under this season. I expect them to sit down together when it is over and if both still share the same vision he wil back him again.
-------------------

I recognise that he's had some issues to deal with but they appear ordinary to me. What "unique set of circumstances" has he had to work under?

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »
Let's be clear, GH is paid handsomely to manage a group of talented footballers he inherited

He has massively under-achieved and had more than a few titanic PR gaffes along the way

It isn't looking good for GH at all

Offline luke25

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »
He won't be sacked, not after how Randy backed him in January, he's done a couple of things that make me feel like banging my head against the wall but he's also done alot of good work too, laying the foundations for a better future, Im sure next season we'll be better off for experiencing this one.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
Let's be clear, GH is paid handsomely to manage a group of talented footballers he inherited

He has massively under-achieved and had more than a few titanic PR gaffes along the way

It isn't looking good for GH at all

What matters is GH's relationship with the chairman, and there is nothing to suggest that things look bad here.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »
Even if we did lose to Wolves and Everton bringing a new manager in now would be suicidal, IMO.  For better or worse our best chance to staying in the division is with Gezza.

For me, his future beyond that has a big fat question mark over it.  Even those unhappy with him, of which I'm one, recognise he's had an uphill battle trying to change things to his way while dealing with an injury crisis.  Whether or not he should have reverted to a style the players are more familiar with until that crisis had abated is another matter. 

So next season, with another window behind him, we can remove all these ifs and buts and see what Houllier's Villa is really like.  My fear is that we'll be excellent to watch, but have a soft underbelly and not be able to grind out results when not playing well, which to me would equate to 8th or 9th.  Not good enough given the backing he'll be getting.     

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »
Taking over a club a few weeks ago into the season that had lost a relatively successful and popular  manager in odd circumstances, that had sold their best player, that has spent no money in two successive windows, with a remit to reduce the wage bill, that has suffered from the worst injury record in my memory, was hit by several instances of serious player unrest against the backdrop of the most congested league table for many years with a fan base that had got used to top 6 finishes.

These are all issues that a manager might expect to deal with over the course of his career, but he has had to deal with them all within the space of 6 months and I don't recall a season like it and is what makes it unique.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:31:38 AM by Chris Smith »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal